Teaser birds

GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 553 Officer
Curious on what others are using in regards to teaser birds.  I have a single bird in dolphin colors that I run in the shot gun position.  I was thinking about trying a three bird chain that has smaller birds usually in one color ie. green.  The single I run is bigger but not huge.  Interested in opinions.   Thanks 

Replies

• SansPeurSansPeur Orlando, FLPosts: 141 Deckhand
    I run a few lines with 3 or 4 all the same color spaced about 10" apart with a different color skirted ballyhoo sitting about 36" behind. It is a prey - preditor kind of setup. Everything always goes after the trailing hoo. Makes a bunch of noise and attracts alot if attention. We have watched dolfin come into the spread and race past other baits to get to the bird -- hoo lines.
    Since 2004 as ReelDreams.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,489 Officer
    We will use them on our short lines ,but
     center rigger is just Ballyhoo.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,049 Officer
    I always use birds or bird on all the long lines. The more the better. A way long bird always gets hit first. I like how I can see where my lines are at when trying to run close to floating debris or weedlines without getting tangled.  Ive had good luck on tuna with a single bird followed by feather chain right in motor wash.
  • JWPBJWPB Posts: 168 Deckhand
    I bought some super cheap Chinese small squid chains on Ebay and have run in front of a mahi lure.   I've hooked multiple mahi and tuna on it at the same time, which is a very strange fight with tuna diving and mahi trying to jump, but got them in and then re-rigged with stronger line and better hooks. 

I'd recommend hooks in teasers if back by bait vs birds with no hooks.  also, a nightmare rig in scattered weed but good around bait schools or clean weed lines. 
    Jupiter 29FS
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 553 Officer
    JWPB:  Yeah that must be an interesting fight with a tuna and a mahi at the same time.  I'm definitely going to start running some teasers.
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 961 Officer

I like the small moldcraft birds.  Mine are rigged with a snap in place of a hook so I can put my other lures behind them.  I have read where an outspoken, but good fisherman/author stated that such an approach puts the lure too far behind the bird - he advocated for no more than 3' between lure and bird.  I have had a sailfish hit the bird rather than the hook bait behind.

As mentioned they can help you keep track of where long lines are.  They can help spark up a pattern on days with very flat seas.  Some people see them only as something to use when targeting tuna.  I see them as more useful than that.

• CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 349 Deckhand
    My DIY teasers work well on blackfin, mahi, bonito... Get the Dollar Tree girls pink pom poms spaced with large swivels about 3 feet apart. and a feather or small squid 6' back. I run both a port and a starboard Out-Rover 150' back because of my boats narrow 6.5' beam, and a couple planers of different sizes down the middle rarely getting a tangle! 

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

Hey I like the DIY teasers....I might give it a try.   Thanks
    How do they hold up?   Do they last more than one use?
  • blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Nice. Thanks for the tip. Good catch.
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 349 Deckhand
    edited November 6 #12
    Garysmo I use 60# fluro between pom poms with LARGE swivels inside them...(you may want to trim the skirts)...then 40# fluro to the business end....never broke one yet! 

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell