• frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    Heading out to assist. Everything I've heard thus far is pretty bad
    Good on you 
    be safe
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    Just horrible.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • SC53SC53 Posts: 614 Officer
    Hard to even look at them. Good for you Westwall. 
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 6,013 Admiral
    No words, just a huge sadness.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,149 Captain
    From personal experience I can tell you that it’s actually worse than it looks. 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    I know this probably won't sound too good but it is almost better if your home is completely gone, then there really would be nothing for you to do but call your insurance if you have it. The poor people with half a house have to dig through it and will want to salvage stuff and man that is tough. I just can't even imagine how hard that must be, not to mention trying to live there if you even can, which some are trying to do. Heart breaking for sure.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Several homes on my street here in St. Andrews are going to have to be demolished. Most have salvaged what the could and left.  The stink of rotting food and wet carpet/ drywall is starting. The city did garbage collection here today which helped considerably! 
     My power came on yesterday afternoon! These power crews are unreal! We were originally told it would be at least another 5 days. There are about a dozen trucks all the way from New Brunswick Canada. 
     Things are moving along. 
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 439 Deckhand
    Thanks for posting.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,712 Moderator
    That's good news Mustang.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,693 Admiral
    We still don't have power in Albany ga.  I believe we are the last ones to not have it. Today will be 8 days.  I never would have believed it would be this bad so far inland.
  • LimeyLimey Posts: 536 Officer
    The Company I work for has dispatched a lot of our equipment to the area to help out. They opened up our hunting camp in Madison to give people a place to sleep and get something to eat. I’ve been told most of the power grids and 80 cell towers are total rebuild.
    Carolina Skiff 238 DLV. 140 Suk
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    edited October 2018 #16
    Saw this story today and thought of this thread:

Hurricane Michael tore through the Florida Panhandle and into Georgia after making landfall on Wednesday, Oct. 10.

Mexico Beach, Florida, was among the hardest-hit locations. The city was almost completely flattened from the storm. However, amid the incredible destruction, one home stood high on stilts above the wreckage, appearing largely untouched and pristine.

It is no coincidence that this house survived. Dr. Lebron Lackey, a radiologist from Cleveland, Tennessee, and his uncle, Russell King, an attorney from Chattanooga, built this house with the intention of it surviving a monster hurricane, or "the big one."

A bit of good news in the middle of the hardship and destruction.

Take care...Mike

Most of the homes in Mexico beach were built in the 50’s and 60’s. They were built as nothing more than a weekend beach house. The one I lived in was a 950 square foot 2 bedroom block house. It was expendable. It was bulldozed in the early 90’s an a triplex beach rental replaced it, I see where even the pilings are gone. 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,539 Captain
    I have family out there that were in the bullseye. Thankfully their homes suffered only minor window, roof, and water damage. Biggest issue is power. Several more weeks without it is what's been predicted. 
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,689 AG
    Heading to Blountstown Saturday with a forum brother to help friends of friends. They haven't been in the news much but they were hit hard too. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 6,013 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #20
    Saw this story today and thought of this thread:

Hurricane Michael tore through the Florida Panhandle and into Georgia after making landfall on Wednesday, Oct. 10.

Mexico Beach, Florida, was among the hardest-hit locations. The city was almost completely flattened from the storm. However, amid the incredible destruction, one home stood high on stilts above the wreckage, appearing largely untouched and pristine.

It is no coincidence that this house survived. Dr. Lebron Lackey, a radiologist from Cleveland, Tennessee, and his uncle, Russell King, an attorney from Chattanooga, built this house with the intention of it surviving a monster hurricane, or "the big one."

A bit of good news in the middle of the hardship and destruction.

Take care...Mike

15 to 20 percent of extra-cost looks like it has been the best choice. Especially if home insurance cost will be lower with a hurricane-proof home. In few years the extra-cost will be paid-off.

Here in Italy we could have a discount on home insurances for earthquake-proof homes. Unfortunately most of our homes were built in the sixities and seventies, so we have just to hope for the better. Especially for our historical centres; all of them were built during middle ages and Renaissance. This is the main reason cause even a minor quake could be devastating.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
    micci_man said:
    Heading to Blountstown Saturday with a forum brother to help friends of friends. They haven't been in the news much but they were hit hard too. 
    The small towns are still cutting out. Major tree removal ahead for them. People living out in the country may not get electricity for weeks. 
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,693 Admiral
    We finally got electricity late yesterday.  The old saying is true you don't know what you have until it's gone. 
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,506 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #23
    stc1993 said:
    We finally got electricity late yesterday.  The old saying is true you don't know what you have until it's gone. 
    That's always a happy day when the trucks arrive and guys start climbing the poles and the next thing you know....the fan comes on, along with well pump and the refrigerator... and now you feel like everything's going to be OK
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.