Home Off Topic

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG

"Though citizens may have strong feelings about what is depicted, we ask you to remain patient as our department continues to work with the State Attorney's Office to investigate," police said.

Wise advise.  You should follow it.

• frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    no
    shooting shoplifters is an overreaction 
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,446 AG
    Agreed. Murder, guy like that is just looking for an excuse to shoot someone.
    This is why, one day, we'll all lose the right to carry.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
    Bad shoot
    Vote for the other candidate
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,692 Admiral
    Didn't the guy have a hatchet?  Or am I confused with another story?  If he had a hatchet I have no issues.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    The hatchet is a very convenient excuse to get to shoot someone.
    Probably worth less than $30.  
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain

"Though citizens may have strong feelings about what is depicted, we ask you to remain patient as our department continues to work with the State Attorney's Office to investigate," police said.

I see you are still trying to cause friction. Please reread my initial post where I stated the insufficient info. Please heed your own advice.
    edited October 2018 #9
    I'm not sure I have ever had sympathy for a criminal, this case is no different for me.  Act stupid, win stupid prizes.  Or so I was once told by a wiseman.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    $30 hatchets wont kill you, everyone knows this 
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,258 Admiral
    His hands look empty when shot, And the article said the hatchet was in his pants

"Police said at the time that Lopez -- a 50-year-old homeless felon who was staying at a nearby shelter -- had tried to leave the store with a hatchet down his pants,"
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,506 Admiral
    Reel Teal said:
    $30 hatchets wont kill you, everyone knows this 
    And what's a few fingers if you can avoid the death of a homeless shoplifter?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    edited October 2018 #13
    Anybody else concerned what a homeless man in a city wanted with a hatchet?

I watched the video and I don't have a problem. Guy was committing a crime and had something in his right hand.  He also struggled/scuffled with a gun pointed at him.  Three stupid decisions.  Act stupid, win stupid prizes.  

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    I'm not sure I have ever had sympathy for a criminal, this case is no different for me.  Act stupid, win stupid prizes.  Or so I was once told by a wiseman.
    Murders are worse than thieves. I do believe murderers should be killed.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,451 Officer
    If he was threatening with the hatchet then its a good shoot. If it was in his pants it was a bad shoot. Pretty straight forward.
    Jason :USA
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,451 Officer
    His hands look empty when shot, And the article said the hatchet was in his pants

"Police said at the time that Lopez -- a 50-year-old homeless felon who was staying at a nearby shelter -- had tried to leave the store with a hatchet down his pants,"

But the article states this as well

Dunn can then be seen grabbing Lopez by his shirt as the 50-year-old is able to get partially out the door. Lopez appears to be holding some type of object in his right hand. It is unclear in the video if the object is the hatchet that Lopez is suspected of trying to steal because the business' front door obstructs his hand.
    Jason :USA
    He wasn't threatening.  
    Store owner/commissioner is screwed.
    There's video.

kellercl said:
    Murders are worse than thieves. I do believe murderers should be killed.
    I'm very pro death penalty.  Feel free to lineup Cosby, Nasar, Sandusky and Weinstein.  I have zero sympathy for awful people.  Reap what you sow.  

-Walter Payton
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,899 AG
    edited October 2018 #19
    kellercl said:
    Anybody else concerned what a homeless man in a city wanted with a hatchet?

I watched the video and I don't have a problem. Guy was committing a crime and had something in his right hand.  
    Halloween is coming and it completed his costume.   He was going as the homeless serial killer.   

From what I saw, the shooter stands in front of the door.  The guy goes toward the door so he steps out of the way.  Guy opens door and shooter doesn't just shoot him, he grabs a hold of him first.  Strand your ground? Hardly.  

But he's Hispanic, so there is that.  Good shot!

But this guy is a commissioner, so he is obviously going to get favoritism.  F'n entitled government worker.    Bad Shot!

I'm torn

Captain Todd Approves

edited October 2018 #20
    I am pro capital punishment, but generally have very little faith in the motives and competency of government.  
    Real problem there. 

Thief should be imprisoned and forced to labor (had he survived).
    Store owner/commissioner should be hung in the public square.
    MGTeacher said:

I see you are still trying to cause friction. Please reread my initial post where I stated the insufficient info. Please heed your own advice.
    I see this thread as trying to cause friction -- otherwise why ask a rhetorical question in the title -- but thank you for your concern.
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain
    Tarponator said:
    MGTeacher said:
    I see this thread as trying to cause friction -- otherwise why ask a rhetorical question in the title -- but thank you for your concern.
    Then maybe you should take off/put on your glasses then.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    He wasn't threatening.  
    There's video.

Video is great, but rarely shows everything. Best to wait for the investigation to be completed and then render a decision
    Where's the fun in that?
    Where's the fun in that?

True
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    Ax murder spree preempted.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,406 AG
    Here is a better video of the event, 

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000006162313/lakeland-shooting-surveillance-video.html

The hatchet was in his right hand, but I  don't think he should have shot the guy since all the guy was doing was running away. He was not attempting to fight the store owner.. Plus, why would you confront a shoplifter with a gun drawn,.If you are that scared, just call the police over the hatchet, don't confront the guy with a gun drawn, 

It will be interesting to see how the State Attorney handles the case. Not even sure how he can claim he was in fear of his life when the guy was running away from him, 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

cadman said:
    Here is a better video of the event, 

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000006162313/lakeland-shooting-surveillance-video.html

The hatchet was in his right hand, but I  don't think he should have shot the guy since all the guy was doing was running away. He was not attempting to fight the store owner.. Plus, why would you confront a shoplifter with a gun drawn,.If you are that scared, just call the police over the hatchet, don't confront the guy with a gun drawn, 

It will be interesting to see how the State Attorney handles the case. Not even sure how he can claim he was in fear of his life when the guy was running away from him, 

I agree, but a good lawyer could deal with any charges pretty easily in this case, if it is as it appears.The merchant has the right to stop and confront the perp and is not required to back down. The perp has no right to resist a merchant and no right to commit theft. When confronted the perp has stolen property which can cause serious bodily injury or death and he has easy access to do so (in his right hand) though he does not appear to have the intent to cause physical harm.  Having a fear for ones safety is subjective and can really only be determined by that person in question, within reason. Charges could follow, but that doesn't mean a conviction would follow as well.
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,191 Captain
    He wasn't threatening.  
    There's video.

Best to wait for the investigation to be completed and then render a decision
    You mean go against typical forum protocol???
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    The j/a needed the hatchet to settle a score.  He was just going to hack up another homeless j/a and take their booze/heroin/meth/urine-soaked shoes.  Should have let him go.

fins4me said:
    Ax murder spree preempted.
    The presumption of innocence waves an ironic hello.