Home General Hunting

Have you seen many gators that look like they are going to explode?

bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
We took my buddies grandson out this weekend and caught several gators.  Two of which were very big in the center.  A 8 footer and this 9'2".  
There was absolutely no loose skin in the torso and showed no signs of injury other than some scars on the tail.  It was not weak in any way and would sink as soon as you let any slack.  For that reason I did not think it was trapped air.  In the past I did come upon one that was bloated and had gotten very thin.  It had trouble staying submerged.  I believe that one may have had a dose of lead poisoning due to where it was.  Any thoughts?
The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.

Replies

• FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,206 Officer
    That definitley doesnt look right. My thughts are maybe cancer or some surt of tumor. After all I have seen plenty of gators with missing feet and tails, as well of caught many fish out of spill ways and areas near cities and factories with cancer growing out of their gills. Where was this?
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,631 Admiral
    Odd.

Over the years we saw all sorts of deformities in fish as we clean them, some that you'd think they would never be able to survive with. Nature and the will to survive can cause all sorts of things we just can't fathom. This one looked just a little different from the outside but when we cleaned him.......well.......you can see.
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    That definitley doesnt look right. My thughts are maybe cancer or some surt of tumor. After all I have seen plenty of gators with missing feet and tails, as well of caught many fish out of spill ways and areas near cities and factories with cancer growing out of their gills. Where was this?
    Lake Hancock in Lakeland FL.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    looks like it just ate a big meal
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,115 Officer
    What did his insides look like after gutting?
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 153 Deckhand
    edited October 2018 #7
    any spinal deformities when you cleaned him? I had polk tags and killed one near hancock without any issues. 

Also, is that gator dead? The way his eyes are open, head not drooping, and the back leg under tension would all have me checking his lights again. 
    What did his insides look like after gutting?
    This gator was alive and just snared after snatch hook.  It was released unharmed other than pride.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,662 Captain
    Tour boat and 50# of marshmallows?
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,477 Admiral
    ........probably just ate a dog.........

So you just catch em for fun.....no hunting to kill ??
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Sea Snake said:

He just has really high standards
    Sea Snake said:

We were looking for bigger on that tag on that day.  Other tags that gator would have made the cut.  We hook most gators and have never seen the gator, just the sign it leaves.  Many we will let go with a simple tap on the hook with a harpoon pole or gaff.  If one wraps we will snare and bring aboard to make sure all line is off.  I believe the braid could give it issues over time if it does not fall off on its own.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,170 Moderator
    I've seen some hump back ones. Not sure what the cause ?
    "You'll get your weather"
    Went out for a quick hunt this morning.  Went ahead and filled that tag with my daughter behind the harpoon.  Was chasing them in the pre dawn and it was great.  Could follow them with just the moon light till they settled down.  On the water a little after six, gator before 7, dropped of at the processor and at work by 9.  

• swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Awesome bgeorge! Congrats to daughter!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,631 Admiral
    Very nice. We're still sitting on our second of only two tags. Hopefully the brisk NW wind and cooling temps will shove a good one out into the lake proper. So far we've been putting more effort into fishing......and working......but will make a couple of efforts starting Tuesday.
    Agree on the cold getting them out of the woods.  Does not look like it will make it down to central FL with enough punch to help me.  With time winding down we still have tags to finish up.  Each year I am glad to see Nov1 come and the season end at least till Nov 15th.  I think a few of my available tags will be used on some 3 footers, that is unless I find something big.  Some custom requests for small hides for knife handles and one for a guy who wants a full body mount for home.