Home Off Topic

My New F 150

Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,085 Admiral
Really disappointed me Sunday morning...
Headed to Tractor supply fpr a new Chainsaw chain. Yup I knew it was low on gas , kept telling me every minute. It said 24 miles till empty..I'm going 7 to the gas station. 
Soon as It said 23 Miles to Empty I coasted to the side of the road. Flip flops and shorts , no gas can ...2 1/2 miles each way for a brisk mornings walk . Bought a 5 galloner , Grabbed a shopping cart and walked across the highway and put in 4 gallons.
Who knew Trucks lied ..guess it was just showing me who,s boss. I'm gonna drain all the oil and show it Who's Boss...
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    Well that's definitely not winning
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Well that's definitely not winning
       :D:D
    You should have been here yesterday
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,440 Admiral
    I drive Superduty diesels. I'm bad at running it down to empty. My 2009 ran out with 23 miles to go. A diesel is a pain in the **** you  get tired standing in the street bleeding air and fuel for 30 minutes before it would start.
    The next two would run well past 0 miles to go and never ran out. PS  not my usual proceedure.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,496 Admiral
    Mine doesn't do that.
    Your truck doesn't like you ......better sell it. 
    Im a buyer at.....15.50$ 
    cash.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    When a gas gauge reads a quater of a tank it is empty as far as I am concerned. I usually fill it up at half a tank.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,191 Captain
    I never trust the gauges.
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    No bueno for fuel pump and injectors.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,111 Admiral
    I always fill up at no less than a quarter tank #winning

AC no need to bleed a late model diesel 
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,443 Officer

Yes running low all the time is hard on a fuel pump but just how is it bad for fuel injectors?
    Jason :USA
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,446 AG
    Lol.  I don't believe I'd have shared this.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,301 Captain
    edited October 2018 #12
    1outlaw said:

Yes running low all the time is hard on a fuel pump but just how is it bad for fuel injectors?
    The high pressure fuel pump and injectors are cooled and lubricated by the fuel. Running them dry is real bad news and it doesn't take long for **** to happen.

None of my vehicles ever get below a quarter on the gauge and I keep a closer watch on the diesel.
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,329 AG
    My Dodge says low fuel when it gets to about 30 miles from empty. That is when i fill up. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    edited October 2018 #14
    On flat & level pavement, I have about two gallons of gas (about 35 miles on the highway) left.  When in the driveway the Tahoe sits tail up, it reads low, and when it sits tail down it reads high.

Generally, I fill up when it reads lower than a quarter tank and before the light comes on.  Haven't run out of gas in 15 years or more.

I'd call the dealer and check your fuel gauge system if I were you, TRT.  That shouldn't have happened and I suspect some tuning is in order (not oil lol).

Good luck...Mike
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,440 Admiral
    I never ran out of fuel either till my diesel said 23 miles to go. treemanjohn said:
    I always fill up at no less than a quarter tank #winning

AC no need to bleed a late model diesel 
    I don"t know about my current superduty diesel, but in 2009 you were screwed and had to purge off and on for 30 minutes. 
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,608 Admiral
    I never wait for the light to come on.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    Well, now you know where empty is. I used to run my tank dry back in the days of no money and it depended on the vehicle, some would go way past empty and some when they hit the red line, you were on the side of the road.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,443 Officer
    1outlaw said:

The high pressure fuel pump and injectors are cooled and lubricated by the fuel. Running them dry is real bad news and it doesn't take long for **** to happen.

None of my vehicles ever get below a quarter on the gauge and I keep a closer watch on the diesel.

Im a automotive tech by trade. In no way shape or form will running a gas out of a "Gas" vehicle do any damage to the injector.
    In a diesel it is not good to continually run them out of fuel as you stated. 
    Jason :USA
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    I reset the trip odometer every fillup. 
    And never let the tank get near 1/4. 
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,038 AG
    I borrowed a van without an accurate gas gauge. In a stroke of unbelievable luck when I ran out of gas I was able to coast into a gas station. 

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 871 Officer
    **** light comes on in the Honda with 4 gal left, thats a quarter tank.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    I'm one of those who fill up at a quarter tank. I ran out of gas exactly once as a teenager and said never again.
    Deo Vindice