Home Off Topic

Global warming: Now I'm worried!

nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,823 Admin

Climate Change Might Double the Cost of a Beer

Beer drinkers might pay more and find less of their favorite beverage as climate change comes for barley. Scientists expect that extreme droughts and heat waves will become more frequent and intense in the regions that grow the grain.

Many farmers are already adapting to the slowly warming planet—with advanced plant breeding techniques to create more drought-resistant grains, for example, and by using more efficient irrigation systems to conserve water—but a new study out today in the journal Nature Plants says that many regions won’t be able to cope with the arid conditions of the future. The work was done by a group of researchers in China along with Steven J. Davis, an environmental scientist at the University of California Irvine.

The team looked at the areas around the world that grow barley, which is turned into malt for beer, and projected what will occur under five different climate warming scenarios by 2100. Using models of both economic activity and climate change, the group made predictions about what will happen to barley production, as well as beer price and consumption.

During the most severe climate events, the study predicts that global beer consumption would decline by 16 percent, an amount about equal to the total annual beer consumption of the United States in 2011. It also expects average beer prices to double. Each country would be affected differently. The price of a single pint of beer in Ireland, for example, will rise by $4.84, followed by $4.52 in Italy and $4.34 in Canada. American tipplers will see beer prices rise up to $1.94 under the extreme events, the study said, and barley farmers will export more to other nations....

https://www.wired.com/story/climate-change-might-double-the-cost-of-a-beer/

Federales, bring my baby back to me!

Replies

• frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    Glad I gave up drinking alcoholic beverages 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    Lord help us!
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,326 AG
    edited October 2018 #5
    It is not until 2100. Most of us will be long gone before then. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• dave44dave44 Posts: 11,765 AG
    Didn’t grape growers have that sort of problem hundreds of years ago. I’ve heard that was a big problem for a few centuries.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,085 Admiral
    The early far South was not famous for Beer Shiners..
    NASCAR was not started by Hops and Barley growers..I'm good 
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    The early far South was not famous for Beer Shiners..
    NASCAR was not started by Hops and Barley growers..I'm good 
    If you were drinking during prohibition, it would explain a lot ;)
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,085 Admiral
    Don't make me come up there..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,111 Admiral
    cadman said:
    It is not until 2100. Most of us will be long gone before then. 

And the global warming propaganda machine is not known for accuracy. 
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    Gee, we'll have to find some land further north.  If only there were more land north of us than there is to the south!  And, if only the days were longer during the growing season. 
    23895.gif
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    edited October 2018 #12

nuevowavo said:
    but a new study out today in the journal Nature Plants says that many regions won’t be able to cope with the arid conditions of the future.

Nature Plants is an online-only, monthly journal publishing the best research on plants —

Bwhahaha so this entire thread is based on the assumptions of a blog?
    LOL, ok thanks
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,823 Admin
    Bwhahahaha, Nature is a science journal that's been around for 150 years.
    Ooooh, I said that bad word, "science". Nevermind.

Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • tjensentjensen Posts: 359 Deckhand
    The climate models never take solar output into account.  The output of the sun has been decreasing for awhile and it's been cooling. Mini ice ages have been occurring like clockwork as documented by HISTORY not someone's flawed models. Going to be great for my winter sales of firewood!
    What's wrong with science?
    Tight Lines, Steve

• dave44dave44 Posts: 11,765 AG
    edited October 2018 #16
    I wonder- if climate really did change would humans be smart enough to grow barley and hops in the areas that did become favorable.
       Isn’t that the basis of the model? People would be too ignorant to adapt to their surroundings?
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,526 AG
    dave44 said:
    I wonder- if climate really did change would humans be smart enough to grow barley and hops in the areas that did become favorable.
       Isn’t that the basis of the model? People would be too ignorant to adapt to their surroundings?
    You mean the thousands of acres of fertile soil up in Canada that would be perfect for growing crops if they were not covered with permafrost?  I would hope so.   
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    What if the Canadians take up all the fertile areas to grow marijuana??
    surfman said:

Nothing but there is no such thing as "settled science" It is pure vanity to say you  know everything there will ever be know about a subject. Science is the act of learning.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,496 Admiral
    I'm going to get some beer while I can still afford it.
    Frank is in charge until I get back.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    edited October 2018 #21
    tjensen said:
    surfman said:

Nothing but there is no such thing as "settled science" It is pure vanity to say you  know everything there will ever be know about a subject. Science is the act of learning.
    Only if one wants to learn. 

All too many seem to simply want to justify putting their fingers in their ears, you know what I mean?
    Only if one wants to learn. 

All too many seem to simply want to justify putting their fingers in their ears, you know what I mean?
    I do understand what you mean. But a theory is not a fact.
    edited October 2018 #23
    Facts don't predict.  Science does, and it doesn't need to be perfect to have utility.

But only if we listen.

Are we listening or are we trying to justify our fingers?

An interesting question to ponder. 
    Science stated  that the earth was flat for a long while.
    We have a tendency to listen to the science we want to hear.
    Tight Lines, Steve

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    nuevowavo said:
    Bwhahahaha, Nature is a science journal that's been around for 150 years.
    Ooooh, I said that bad word, "science". Nevermind.

Too bad science isnt what it used to be.
    edited October 2018 #27
    tjensen said:
    Not really.  Religion stated the Earth was flat.  Science proved that wrong.

The whole time, maps were valuable.

Science can be imperfect and valuable.

• NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    True science isn't the problem, true science doesn't have an agenda nor does it try to fit a narrative, it relies only on PROVABLE facts. True science doesn't care what your opinion is, or if your feelings get hurt because what you thought was true turns out to be wrong.

Unfortunately the 'science' many of the low iq  individuals cloak themselves in and constantly tout, is actually politicized science. Politicized science tries to find a predetermined result....and more importantly fit a narrative that advances an agenda regardless of provable facts.
  • The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 4,038 Captain
    edited October 2018 #29
    tjensen said:
    Not really.  Religion stated the Earth was flat.  Science proved that wrong.

The whole time, maps were valuable.

Science can be imperfect and valuable.

Religion??  I think in the book of Job there is reference to the earth being a sphere.  No need for anti-religious propaganda..........particularly when the Commies are distorting science with preconceived outcomes to suit their goals.  
    FYI , we are in for cooler weather very soon.  It is related to decreased solar output.  Science in action.
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

"2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,872 AG
    edited October 2018 #30
    Earth, climate, belief, religion.  Oh the irony!

Captain Todd Approves

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    True science isn't the problem, true science doesn't have an agenda nor does it try to fit a narrative, it relies only on PROVABLE facts. True science doesn't care what your opinion is, or if your feelings get hurt because what you thought was true turns out to be wrong.

Unfortunately the 'science' many of the low iq  individuals cloak themselves in and constantly tout, is actually politicized science. Politicized science tries to find a predetermined result....and more importantly fit a narrative that advances an agenda regardless of provable facts.
    "Follow the money" applies to everything. When humans and money are involved then agendas are established. When BIG government money gets involved, then agendas are further exaggerated. The eco-freaks are being manipulated by those with monied agendas.