caliber question

2»

Replies

• harbisonharbison Posts: 3,708 Captain
    I too have a tremendous respect for the .308; have seen, first hand, what it is capable of doing. I know they are many great calibers/guns out there. Can only speak of what I know. Very interesting to read about other 'all purpose rifles'. Thanks for sharing; that's how we learn! 
    Leaving Friday for a 39 hour...

trip. 
    Wish me luck.  Will share on the water stills & video in the West Central section. 
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,142 Officer
    Have fun be safe @harbison
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    edited October 2018 #34
    @FloridaBullfrog .243 is a really great caliber for deer hunting. The only problem is I gave my best friend a bunch of crap for hunting with a youth .243. So if I were to buy a .243 then I would have to eat my own words and I aint about that life...
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • arrowheadhuntarrowheadhunt Posts: 204 Deckhand
    @FloridaBullfrog .243 is a really great caliber for deer hunting. The only problem is I gave my best friend a bunch of crap for hunting with a youth .243. So if I were to buy a .243 then I would have to eat my own words and I aint about that life...
    You obviously have never walked far carrying a rifle and gear.
    If you had, you would not pick on someone for  choosing a smaller lighter rifle that has plenty power for the target species. 
    I mainly hunt with a crossbow now, but when I hunted more with a rifle, I always would gravitate back to my youth 243.
    It is short, lightweight and very accurate. It is a great off hand (no rest) gun.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,204 AG
    I kind of think the 6.5 Creedmoor is the Salt life sticker of calibers.   Super popular right now, but a .270 does just as good. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,613 Captain
    Life is all about eating crow sometimes and admitting when you’re wrong. 
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,271 Officer
    You haven’t lived if you haven’t ate the Humble Pie 
    it makes a better man every time
    Only till you eat it, will you know, it Leaves no bitter taste behind 

go go ahead and get you some 

• gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,041 Officer
    You haven’t lived if you haven’t ate the Humble Pie 
    it makes a better man every time
    Only till you eat it, will you know, it Leaves no bitter taste behind 

go go ahead and get you some 

Amen!
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 399 Deckhand
    One day you'll understand there's nothing wrong with admitting you were wrong. The sooner the better. 
    @arrowheadhunt He doesnt hunt, he justs uses it as a plinking rifle. I have walked a good distance with my current rifle and she is no light weight by any means. I just throw it on my pack and move. 
    Yeah I am slowly starting to learn to eat my words. Dont get me wrong I hate it, my mom says its the Cuban in me. I am about to get engaged so I have started to learn to swallow my words more and more.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 519 Officer
    Rich M said:
    Lostconch said:
    I have a Marlin Lever in 357 that is my current favorite. Out to 100 yds it will get the job done
    Do you reload?  I've got an amazing 158 gr XTP FP load that "just drops" most of the deer & hogs I shoot with it.  Can't wait to bring her out to the woods again.
    I don't but a friend loaded me some from Waters pet loads. It is shooting a 158 grain soft point .
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 3,708 Captain
    "Have fun be safe @harbison"
    Thanks!  Had a safe, wonderful,time.  Check out my full report, with action packed on the water video, West Central Section.
    The weather was picture Florida perfect, the people were great, the food was fantastic, and, oh yes...