Home General Hunting

Knives - What's your favorite

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,215 Captain
Thought this would be a good one.  Not something I've seen come up on here in my short stint.
..brought up in another thread.  I own quite a few quality knives for many purposes.  But not so much for processing.  I did end up buying an outdoor edge razor pro, which is what I've been carrying with me and planning to use for the most part.  But after hearing about using carpet blades, Now I'm bringing my favorite box cutter (with the round finger grip and locks at an angle or straight out) also.
Anyways, doesn't have to be for processing game necessarily.  What are some of your favorite blades and for what?

Replies

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Buck 110 holds an edge.  Heavy knife tho.  If I could only have one it would be the 110 or the 55 (Smaller version).
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,631 Admiral
    Most folks end up with a larger knife than is really needed. We used to clean 600 pound gators and 200 pound tunas with the same knives we'd use to do a 3 pound flounder. 

I'll not get into the whole debate on specific model and brand but I will offer this, based on near 40 years in the seafood business and having cleaned everything from hogs to armadillos to ostriches. Buy smaller than you think is necessary and DO NOT buy the hardest steel you can find. Hard steel, while it will hold a edge is also a big pain to get back to a proper edge once you screw it us.......and trust me... you WILL screw it up.

Another consideration is how easy it is to clean it up after the cleaning is done. A fixed blade if way ahead of any folder on this item. The fancier and the more intricate the knife the more areas there are to hold scum once the job is done.

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,663 Captain

Little Frost in my pocket for 20+ years( wifes grandfathers)
    KaBar and custom Lonehunter for deer and pigs.
    Two Schrades for dirty work and three Dexters.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    4WARD said:

Don't know what the 3rd from the left is but for hunting if I had to chose only one that would be it.

Dexters have a very good combination of edge holding and ease of resharpening. Though I am not sure that the ones they market retail are exactly the same as what they sell to industry so there may be some differences in the steel.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,953 AG
    this for everyday use and gutting skinning deer
    https://caseknives.com/collections/knives/products/yellow-synthetic-slimline-trapper-chrome-vanadium

got some dexter russel filet knives for fish.

Got 3 James Levi (lonehunter forum name) knives for kitchen use.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • MuskiemanNCMuskiemanNC Posts: 134 Deckhand
    Bucks and the old US made Schrades are solid. Like mine

A Wenger or Victornox swiss army knife 
  • arrowheadhuntarrowheadhunt Posts: 204 Deckhand
    Benchmade folder for everyday carry. Also used to gut.

Dont know the brand, but my favorite skinning knife is from one of those "hunter kits" made by mossberg. 

For final butchering I use a hand me down Forschner set.
    My go to in that set is called the 8" breaking knife. 
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 728 Officer
    edited October 2018 #9
    I gut and completely butcher all my deer. I use two knives: a folding replaceable blade - it's not havalon, can't think of the brand - and the same dexter fillet knife I use to clean fish. I gut and skin with the replaceable knife, and bone with the fillet knife. Not the most specialized system, but it's sharp and affordable. This year I bought an 18volt-battery Sawzall for skull caps and bone-in roast work.  

• smooth movesmooth move Posts: 457 Deckhand
    benchmade folder in my pocket. army issue 9" K Bar, Puma Game Warden, Shrade folder(big) and Case Shark Tooth folder for skinning and quartering. 2 OLD hickory butcher knives for deboning and final cuts.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • mattb78mattb78 Posts: 209 Deckhand
    I think Kershaw makes a great knife that really holds an edge.

• bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,440 Officer
    Havalon for just about everything, replace the blade after every deer, they are relatively inexpensive and as sharp as a scalpel. Havalon is a great skinning and gutting knife, and work well for cleaning out anal cavities.Kershaw for heavier use (cutting joints, tail removal, ball joints)... 6or 8inch forshner for cutting on cutting board at the house, and thin slicing cooked meats.
    bswiv said:
    4WARD said:

Don't know what the 3rd from the left is but for hunting if I had to chose only one that would be it.

Had that made by James Levi for my youngest son. Great little knife.( it would be my favorite but it is not mine)
    The KaBar gets the most use, I made a custom wood handle as the original plastic one would slip off.
    4WARD said:
    bswiv said:
    4WARD said:

Had that made by James Levi for my youngest son. Great little knife.( it would be my favorite but it is not mine)
    The KaBar gets the most use, I made a custom wood handle as the original plastic one would slip off.
    Hopefully as he gets old and grey, having and using it will remind him of something very positive. I still have and use the knife my father gave me right at 50 years ago. It's on it's second blade......makes me think of him every time I open it. And also, appreciate that he knew what he was choosing.........which it's obvious you did.
    Thank you for the kind words bswiv.
    Funny thing when I saw this post, all those knives were washed and drying as they sit.
    Had just finished getting my old friend tagged out.( and cubing, weighing,  grinding and vac sealing)
    What you cant see in the picture is Cody behind me with his knife, telling mom to stop taking pics and for me to get out of the way!

• FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,206 Officer
    I love my kershaws for everyday carry I use outdoor edge for my cleaning knives.
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    I use Dexter fillet knives for filleting, boning, and meat processing - they are a great knife.
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,334 Captain
    Gerber Gator knife
    living life as i like
  • jordinejordine flPosts: 52 Greenhorn
    Can't go wrong with Spyderco Moran. It is a good knife for the price.
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 399 Deckhand
    Gerber Gator knife
    Yeap. That's what I use. Keeps a nice edge and sharpens quick too.
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,334 Captain
    Gerber Gator knife
    Yeap. That's what I use. Keeps a nice edge and sharpens quick too.
    Have had them for a long time .
    living life as i like
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,908 Captain
    edited October 2018 #22
    I like Kershaws of all sorts for easy to sharpen, semi-disposable knifes (meaning if you loose it, no biggie, just buy another one). 

I used to turn my nose up both at expensive knifes and to larger sheath knifes. I thought sheath knifes were goofy and useless and expensive knifes a waste of money. In recent years when I've started mingling tent camping with my time in the woods, I've found that a good sheath knife can function as a jack of most trades. They can be great machetes for cutting blind material or shooting lanes on a fraction of the weight or space of a machete or hatchet. More importantly, I've found I prefer cleaning deer with a longer and thicker knife to a small pocket knife. I can make long strokes and cover a lot more skin and meat with a more bowie style knife than a pocket knife.

Here's my all purpose knife now:

Its a Strider MSS. Its an expensive knife, but I've never regretted the purchase. The steel is CPMS30V. Its very hard to sharpen but holds an edge forever. If sharpening by hand, I use diamond stones exclusively. I also have a Work Sharp belt sharpener that does a good job. The only thing to be careful with a belt sharpener is that its easy to eat the tip of the knife off with it until you learn how to properly pull the knife thru it. My Work Sharp lets me get stainless steel extremely sharp, which has breathed new life into many of my old blades that were always too hard to get very sharp with what I could do by hand. 
  • alexdozonalexdozon NetherlandPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    edited October 2018 #23
    Gerber Bear Serrated Edge Hunting Knife
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 441 Deckhand
    benchmade   fixed blade  use it for everything   bought it 5 yrs ago  still sharpens to a razor edge   very pleased with it.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,107 Moderator
    Buddy of mine gave me this Keith Murr knife on our gator hunt (both of which processor failed to get to be ahead of hurricane and all off which was tossed... 9’3 and 8’3).   Pretty piece, razor sharp and a versatile field knife I think.  We’ll see how edge holds up and how well takes a new one.

"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,838 AG
    4" Case two blade Trapper is in my pocket if I have on pants/shorts for daily use and what I clean and debone all deer/hogs with. I have a fixed blade that a guy made me for giving him antlers for handles that fits the hand good but rarely use it.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • hobbscw79hobbscw79 Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Benchmade folder for everyday.
    Randall Knives Model 25 for skinning. Randall is the best knife out there, made locally in Florida to boot.