Good news on red tide

2»

Replies

• lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 692 Officer
    Captains  for clean water can kiss my ****. What a joke!
  • mannn123mannn123 Posts: 133 Deckhand
    Keep in mind that this is not an "overhaul" of the Clean Water Act.  The rule being "rolled back" was an Obama rule from 2015, so the potential changes are not really changes to long standing rules or the statute itself.  Prior to the Obama rule, one could argue that the federal reach over certain "waters" was already too broad, but either way various Supreme Court cases didn't completely clarify the application of the law to certain more "tenuous" waters.  In any event, the EPA, under Obama, promulgated the 2015 rule.  Depending on your viewpoint, this was a vast overreach of the federal government over lands (e.g. the oft cited "mud puddle") that there was never, and should never be, federal regulation.....or it was a welcome tool to further regulate waterbodies in need of protection. 

Therefore, this isn't about whether waterbodies like the Caloosahatchee have protection under the CWA...this is all about ditches, "streams" from snow melt that only flow sometimes, isolated waterbodies, etc., etc.  How broad EPA could take this rule was the concern from landowners....maybe a well founded concern, maybe not.  Its even more difficult to interpret in Florida where the land is flat and extent of wetlands, intermittent waterbodies, etc. are difficult to determine.  If you are a landowner with a 5 acre wetland on your property that all of a sudden becomes 50 acres in effect just because the feds adopted a new rule, then you might be upset about the Obama rule.  On the other hand, if you believe every "waterbody" is in need of federal protection, then you might like the Obama rule.

Just trying to add some perspective.
  • hellsgatehellsgate NaplesPosts: 28 Greenhorn

Please educate me on your issues with this group. 
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 692 Officer
    hellsgate said:

Please educate me on your issues with this group. 
    My comment was uncalled for and I apologize. No excuse, but I was having a bad day. I just think there are too many small groups going in different directions. Again sorry for that comment.
  • sixstring09sixstring09 Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    Marine forecast for friday looks interesting. 

Might get some red tide blown in.
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 607 Officer
    DES51 said:
    On a side note. The Clean Water Act is on the verge of being overhauled and not for the better. It will be an ecological disaster, especially for freshwater and inland waterways. I don't know why Congress is not putting up more of a fight on this.
    Yeah! Well this has been the trademark of the Trump and Scott Administrations.
    Lets hope when Mike Pence becomes President he has a different viewpoint.
    He does vacation at and have a home on Sanibel.
    Wouldn't count on it given the state of science denial in the Republican party at the moment.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • BadgerFanBadgerFan Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Human made pollution does contribute to red tide. It doesn't create it as it's been around for a long time and it's apparently a natural occurrence but all of the nutrients, phosphorous, fertilizers, etc that run into the water "feed" the bacteria that creates red tide. The red tides of today are more frequent, and larger in occurrence than they used to be. So there is action that can be taken, but it is not easy, nor cheap, nor a quick fix. Personally, I believe we have to trust that the people we've voted into office will try to do what is right for the environment given all of the many conflicts they face. Let's face it, if it doesn't start moving in the right direction at some point, if we as a society can't prioritize a healthy environment, our kids and grandkids will have one hell of a mess to deal with some day. Just my opinion.
  • JoesarantiJoesaranti Posts: 70 Greenhorn
    BadgerFan said:
    Human made pollution does contribute to red tide. It doesn't create it as it's been around for a long time and it's apparently a natural occurrence but all of the nutrients, phosphorous, fertilizers, etc that run into the water "feed" the bacteria that creates red tide. The red tides of today are more frequent, and larger in occurrence than they used to be. So there is action that can be taken, but it is not easy, nor cheap, nor a quick fix. Personally, I believe we have to trust that the people we've voted into office will try to do what is right for the environment given all of the many conflicts they face. Let's face it, if it doesn't start moving in the right direction at some point, if we as a society can't prioritize a healthy environment, our kids and grandkids will have one hell of a mess to deal with some day. Just my opinion.
    Every thing you say is true and makes sense! Except for the part about trusting the people that were voted in to do the right thing. Red Tide Rick!