Good news on red tide

On the news yesterday, no evidence of red tide along our shores.  This storm just might have been the fix we needed, to move it out or just blow it apart.
Here is hoping.
larrywitt

Replies

• colokayakcolokayak Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I went out of Venice inlet yesterday and was pleasantly surprise to not see any trace of the red tide.  Let's hope the storm was what was needed to get it to dissipate.
  • ljkljk Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    yeah,  and the fort Myers bait shops yesterday days the fish are back inshore.   specifically mentioned 13 to 15 inch snapper in the passes and piers.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,828 Captain
    edited October 2018 #4
    FWC says otherwise.  You might not smell it or see it but it's still there.  I have a hunch we're going to get a big round of fish kill in the coming week or two.  There was a metric asston of bait and birds off the beaches this AM.  Hopefully the red tide doesn't surround them like it did a few weeks back.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 202 Deckhand
    I believe the map showing no red tide was also from the FWC. 
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 631 Officer
    How accurate do you think the red tide samples were this week. With a major hurricane in the gulf, my guess is they got a few drops of water and said that's enough. 

Who could blame them?
  • E.R. A/CE.R. A/C Posts: 94 Greenhorn
    I Went out of Venice inlet today no dead fish, no smell and water was as clean as I seen since early this year. Saw plenty of Mackeral and Bonita from shore to 85 FOW. Hopefully it stays like this. Btw caught couple of Kings and also caught some Keeper size Gag and Red groupers. 
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 551 Officer
    I hope those kings and bonita make their way down to us soon! I was out in 30' of water off FMB yesterday messing around and the water was a strangely murky brown with a film on the top of the water and chunks of what looks like surface algae from a pond floating around.
    I'd really love to see some measurements this week from offshore. The wind obviously pushed it offshore along the west coast but it survived in that environment all winter last year. I'll be closely watching over the next few days.
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 172 Deckhand
    Just found this on meteorologist Brian Bennett's Facebook...

☠(RED TIDE UPDATE - OCT 14)☠  Are you curious how Hurricane Michael impacted red tide?  Check out this video if you'd like a full update:

Otherwise, here's the bottom line: 

🌎PINELLAS COUNTY: Water samples at most Pinellas Beaches are showing that conditions have slightly worsened after Michael.  The biggest difference & concern is the large dense bloom now residing about 8 miles offshore of St. Pete Beach & Clearwater.  As feared, the SW currents from the hurricane drug surface karenia brevis & nutrients to the north from the Sanibel Area.  If winds were to now turn westerly, then Pinellas County could expect another round of large fish kill and further beach deterioration.  Fortunately, the Gulf currents & winds should keep this dense bloom offshore at least over the next 7 days.

🌎MANATEE, SARASOTA, CHARLOTTE COUNTIES: The easterly winds prior to the hurricane resulted in dramatically improved conditions.  Fortunately, it does not appear that the hurricane reversed that trend.  We will know more when new water samples are published on Wednesday, but for now it looks like conditions remained the same or perhaps slightly improved after the hurricane.

🌎LEE COUNTY: The width of the massive bloom offshore of Sanibel & Ft. Myers is 30 miles wide, BUT that is 20 miles less wide than it was prior to the hurricane. About 15 miles offshore of Sanibel there is a very dense area of karenia brevis (just like up in Pinellas County). So, if winds were to turn westerly that would be really bad news as it would bring another large round of fish kill.  Fortunately, predominant winds should remain easterly for the next 7 days.

☢NOTE: Many local & national news agencies are misinterpreting the latest FWC water sample maps.  
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 172 Deckhand

• backyardhockeybackyardhockey Posts: 141 Deckhand
    That guy really seems to know his stuff. Thanks for posting
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,102 Admiral
    Keep hoping for winds out of the east
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 551 Officer
    That's exactly what I figured was going on. Thanks for confirming it, much appreciated. Could end up sitting out there all winter again until prevailing west winds return in the spring!
  • mannn123mannn123 Posts: 125 Deckhand
    I don't know.....seems like observing Karenia mostly by satellite is not that accurate, particularly when just looking at natural color and not adjusting and when not combining with other data.  That discoloration can be from all sorts of other stuff.  Also, not to throw shade, but it appears that Bryan Bennett is an on air meteorologist from New York, moving down here a few years ago.  Is that the same guy?

In any event, we have been volunteer sampling about 10 locations in San Carlos Bay (counts done by SCCF) and its been pretty clean since around the third week in Sept.  So far so good.  However, to again point out the issues with the above, in one of the week's samples, we had no Karenia but we had pretty high concentrations of a diatom of some type that interestingly showed up.  Therefore, even when adjusted for fluorescent line height to isolate chlorophyl, it could be a different algae.  That's why it seems to me that when samples show low levels of Karenia, but the satellite imagery shows discolored water, you really can't draw conclusions like he did.  I think this is supported by the literature too.
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 580 Officer
    He also pointed out that some samples were taken pre-hurricane and some post hurricane. So sampled were taken. 
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,354 Captain
    edited October 2018 #16
    The sampling data is almost entirely from the volunteer network that works with FWC.  These are mostly residents of beach areas, private anglers, and guides who receive sampling kits from FWC. They sample only surface water, so deeper transport in offshore water is missed.  There is no directed sampling, so areas are not covered in a systematic way. Sometimes a research vessel is dispatched on a week long mission where sampling is done over a grid pattern and samples are taken midwater as well as near the surface.  These missions are very expensive and are only undertaken to study deep water blooms like the one that occurred in the Big Bend in 2014. 

As mann123 said, the satellite data can be inaccurate.  While the detectors have gotten better to the point where they can pretty well distinguish algal chlorophyll from sediment, they are still not very good at distinguishing K. brevis from other algae and diatoms. I did some sampling for FWC in 2014 off of Hernando Beach. Many of my samples did not contain the red tide organism even though they were taken from areas that cleary had dense algal blooms that showed up as bright red in the red tide satellite images.  In that case, the red tide had already run its course and other species had moved in.

The point is that monitoring a red tide event is very difficult since the data is so sparse and can be misleading.  The best data are reports of fish kills and respiratory irritation.  There are currently reported fish kills in the two areas indicated in Brian Bennett's satellite map. 
  • Strangegill88Strangegill88 Posts: 218 Deckhand
    Has everyone watched this video yet? I'm not here to point fingers, but we need to start taking positive actions. 

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/big-sugar-destroying-florida/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Fishing-Tips&utm_content=big-sugar-destroying-florida
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,968 Captain
    Has everyone watched this video yet? I'm not here to point fingers, but we need to start taking positive actions. 

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/big-sugar-destroying-florida/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Fishing-Tips&utm_content=big-sugar-destroying-florida
    Like what?  
    There has been no effective way for humans to combat Red Tide that I have heard of.
    The crappy algae that has plagued the Ft Meyers area is another story.
    Scoutboat said:

Like what?  
    There has been no effective way for humans to combat Red Tide that I have heard of.
    I agree. Let's just hold hands on the beach and blame someone. Drives me nuts. Red tide sucks and has literally wiped out most of my best spots. Unfortunately it has been happening long before the sugar and lake O dikes were built.
  • backyardhockeybackyardhockey Posts: 141 Deckhand
    Scoutboat said:

Like what?  
    I agree. Let's just hold hands on the beach and blame someone. Drives me nuts. Red tide sucks and has literally wiped out most of my best spots. Unfortunately it has been happening long before the sugar and lake O dikes were built.
    I could be wrong but the video seemed to be about man made issues, voting for people who give a **** about clean water and questioning political motives. Radical ideas that should be ridiculed as everything is fine and getting better. 
  • brew24brew24 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Lukky,
    Did you watch the film? Yes Red Tide has been around a long time however now its the death of the blue green algae upon hitting salt water after its trek from lake O that is compounding it.

I just watched the video. Horrible stuff. I don't fish that far south. South manatee and north Sarasota are my areas. I just don't remember hearing much about the blue green algae until recently. I don't know, I'm no scientist and I don't believe many of them anyway. 

I just don't believe the algae is contributing to red tide in my area. It's in the Panhandle so......  I don't know on one hand I wish there was a magic bullet to make it go away. On the other hand part of me thinks it's a natural cleansing of the environment.
    I think the bottom line is we have too many people on this planet. So what do about that. Scary thought. 
  • MikelleenMikelleen Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    I think the bottom line is we have too many people on this planet. So what do about that. Scary thought. 
    Well if you think so, maybe you should volunteer to reduce the population. 
    Or we could stop doing medical research and let people die off sooner like they used to...
    Seriously, I despise this type of thinking. 

• DES51DES51 Posts: 103 Deckhand
    edited December 2018 #25
    On a side note. The Clean Water Act is on the verge of being overhauled and not for the better. It will be an ecological disaster, especially for freshwater and inland waterways. I don't know why Congress is not putting up more of a fight on this.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,828 Captain
    Because $... the root of all evil.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • mannn123mannn123 Posts: 125 Deckhand
    DES51 said:
    On a side note. The Clean Water Act is on the verge of being overhauled and not for the better. It will be an ecological disaster, especially for freshwater and inland waterways. I don't know why Congress is not putting up more of a fight on this.
    What exactly are they doing?
    mannn123 said:
    DES51 said:
    What exactly are they doing?
    Good question.
    Ecological disaster?
  • JoesarantiJoesaranti Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    DES51 said:
    Yeah! Well this has been the trademark of the Trump and Scott Administrations.
    Lets hope when Mike Pence becomes President he has a different viewpoint.
    He does vacation at and have a home on Sanibel.
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 103 Deckhand
    edited December 2018 #31
    Google Clean Water Act rollback. It is too involved to explain in a post. In a nutshell it will open doors for polluters to go unpunished. In this state, big sugar will get away with even more!