Favorite ilander lure

GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 553 Officer
I'd like to add a few ilanders to my tackle box but there are a number of choices so I'm interested on what others are using.  i usually run a 5 line spread with a variety of things from skirted ballyhoo, mini turbo slammer, rattle trap, tuna feather, etc but I currently do not have an ilanders in the spread.  Interested to hear opinions......thanks

Replies

• nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,367 Admin
    edited October 10 #2
    Good old blue/white and black/red in the classic iLander, and I've also had luck with the Sea Searcher in blue/white and dolphin colors.
    But my favorite all-time go-to lure is the Moldcraft Wide Range. Trolled it anywhere from 7-20 knots for dolphin, tuna, and billfish. Almost always have two on the short flatlines with mini turbos on the riggers and a bird out long down the middle.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 553 Officer
    nuevowavo said:
    Good old blue/white and black/red in the classic iLander, and I've also had luck with the Sea Searcher in blue/white and dolphin colors.
    But my favorite all-time go-to lure is the Moldcraft Wide Range. Trolled it anywhere from 7-20 knots for dolphin, tuna, and billfish. Almost always have two on the short flatlines with mini turbos on the riggers and a bird out long down the middle.
    Do you run the same key colors like blue/white for the Moldcrafts?  I definitely will look into them.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,049 Officer
    I use all Islander Hula Heads with pin rigs for a ballyhoo. Blue/white   green yellow, puple black.
    Barrell said:
    I use all Islander Hula Heads with pin rigs for a ballyhoo. Blue/white   green yellow, puple black.
    Do you ever use a pink/white?
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,867 Admiral
    The blue and white is the all around best for just about anything that swims, then the black and red on the long for wahoo, and the dolphin color on the rigger for tuna.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,907 Captain
    Depends on sea condition and targeted species. I use the regular Islander/ballyhoo combo  if it is rough or I am targeting Wahoo. If conditions are mild and targeting Dolphin I like the Sail lure. Colors usually have blue in them but it depends on the sun or overcast conditions.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• ccampccamp Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Blue and white!!!!!
  • AftershockAftershock Posts: 204 Deckhand
    My vote goes to the Sail Lure as well ahead of a ballyhoo.  Throws up a nice pop when the bait hits the surface.  Been using the blue/pink flasher series, just got a white and pink to try.

Good Luck!
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,126 AG
    This pink/white, special rigged Ilander ALWAYS goes out. I normally fish it way back off the rigger and stagger a blue/white Ilander/Bally off the other rigger.

Oooops....... forgot that I was trying to post a photo on this Forum......

Imagine a silver and blue, 17lb dolphin with a pink/white Ilander hanging out of its mouth........
    It won't let me Edit my post either........ little gear symbol does nothing.....
  • Frosty1Frosty1 Posts: 114 Deckhand

Blue and White, Pink and White, always are in the spread.

Billfish seem to like the Pink and White, everything seems to hit the Blue and White

• nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,367 Admin

Garysmo said:
    nuevowavo said:
    Do you run the same key colors like blue/white for the Moldcrafts?  I definitely will look into them.
    Yeah, always blue/white, dolphin colors or black/red. Sometimes a purple/black if the others aren't working, especially on a bright day.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,414 Captain
    Since no one else has said it, a blue and white Sail lure. :) I also like green and yellow, and black and red. 
    pottydoc said:
    Since no one else has said it, a blue and white Sail lure. :) I also like green and yellow, and black and red. 
    I'm definitely going to pick up a couple.  One will be a blue and white sail lure, not sure of the 2nd one yet.  I run green and yellow skirts but don't do as well as the blue/white or pink/white.   The black and red might be good for wahoo.
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 961 Officer

Stop and examine the heads.  Think about how each style changes the presentation.

full size (regular ilander) has a slightly offset leader hole while the tracker has a straight hole.  The sailure is cup faced, thus chugs and pops more.  The seastar, which is quietly favored by many, has that round face to grab water, but passes it through (jetted).  Either cup face can help the lure hold the water in rougher conditions.

Are you looking to run these with ballyhoo or plain?  If with ballyhoo, how long do you want the hair skirt?  Many anglers see the skirt as just something to add a little flash or color, while others may take the approach of the meat is just there for a little flash and the scent/taste to help the fish hold on.

As far as the wide ranges -- I've caught enough on my pink/white and purple/silver over black that I've never gotten around to buying a blue/white.  I'm sure that would produce too; my moldcraft minichugger in blue/white is a good producer for me.

very interesting.  I've thought of the different heads but this is a good explanation on the differences and definitely gives me some food for thought.  Thanks
    I picked up a sailure and a mold craft.   Can never have to many choices 
  • 101grunts101grunts Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    white and blue is the first in and last out, also white and pink
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,049 Officer
    bmoody said:

Stop and examine the heads.  Think about how each style changes the presentation.

full size (regular ilander) has a slightly offset leader hole while the tracker has a straight hole.  The sailure is cup faced, thus chugs and pops more.  The seastar, which is quietly favored by many, has that round face to grab water, but passes it through (jetted).  Either cup face can help the lure hold the water in rougher conditions.

Are you looking to run these with ballyhoo or plain?  If with ballyhoo, how long do you want the hair skirt?  Many anglers see the skirt as just something to add a little flash or color, while others may take the approach of the meat is just there for a little flash and the scent/taste to help the fish hold on.

As far as the wide ranges -- I've caught enough on my pink/white and purple/silver over black that I've never gotten around to buying a blue/white.  I'm sure that would produce too; my moldcraft minichugger in blue/white is a good producer for me.

You left out my favorite. The Hula Hood. Im not skilled at wiring ballyhoo on a hook. Any body can get the bally to swim like its alive when the head is tucked inside the Hula Hood. I think I have 20 of them.