smoked venison

hatcityhatcity Posts: 2,991 Captain
I know this should be in the kitchen section, but would get more info here
Friend has acquired a venison roast and would like to smoke it. He has a Pit Barrel cooker
What is the best/better wood to use? ideal int. temp?
I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,817 Admiral
    Go Big , Or Go Home...Lems seasoning. I use Sweeter that Sweet or Brown Sugar Ham cure.
    Might as well do 2 or 3 at the same time . I Brine in a garbage bag instead of a pan.
    Holds everything tight to the meat..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 3,101 Captain
    Venison is very tough to smoke because it doesn't have any fat
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,605 AG
    Yep, you will dry it out in no time... Jerky.

Season, wrap it good and just cook with low heat. off set. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,084 Admiral
    Wrap with bacon
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    Cool that you got some
    Make stew and send me a quart
    No political signature
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,516 Captain
    Hmmmm...I’ve smoked a pile of venison backstraps. Never dried out a one. 
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,605 AG
    pottydoc said:
    Hmmmm...I’ve smoked a pile of venison backstraps. Never dried out a one. 
    How long did you "smoke" them? i'm guessing more of grilling with some smoke thrown in one way or another.

Smoking meat to me to get it done  takes several hours depending. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    Depends on how big it is. I use my smoker, not the grill. It’s not nearly as long as a pork roast, but usually a couple hours on a bigger one for medium rare. I keep the heat pretty low, about 150 or so. It’s got plenty of smoke flavor when it’s done. 
  • DrKDrK Posts: 239 Deckhand
    I also thought  smoking venison would come out dry.  I gave some to a friend and they smoked it.  I was surprised how tender and moist it turned out.  I tried it myself and was pleasantly surprised with the results.  Yep, wrap with bacon, I suggest using beef recipes like smoking brisket.  What I did was salt, pepper and cayenne then smoke at 250 for 6-8 hours.  I was scared of it drying up so after 3-4 hours of smoking with oak in an aluminum pan I covered with foil and continued.  Came out great and I will be doing it again when I have the time.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Brineing with 1 cup salt per 1 gal water help keep it moist.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,948 Captain
    Google smoked venison.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    Cyclist said:
    Brineing with 1 cup salt per 1 gal water help keep it moist.
    How long are you bringing it? I’ve never tried that, gonna give it a shot. Hopefully with a couple fresh tenderloins acquired this weekend. 
    I'll brine hogs in salt for a week.
    Texas Boar Hunters .com has the Brine instructions on their website 

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,391 AG
    There are a lot of great brine recipes online. I have one for Turkey or chicken and another for pork beef. They are all using about 1 cup salt to a gallon of water, but you can add other herbs and spices for different flavors and most use a little brown sugar. some for poultry will use apple juice or cider instead of water and others will use stock instead of water, 

i experimented with mine until i found one I like. i usually only brine poultry.

The best venison I have had was some ground up like hamburger and used in chili and spaghetti and such and some made into sausage, Both were mixed with pork, i think. Really delicious. 

Mini Mart Magnate

Cad, I seldom even buy ground beef. The first deer on th ground each season gets the tenderloins and backstraps cut out, and every thing else gets ground. We usually mix a little pork fat with it, it’s great in anything you’d normally do with burger. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,391 AG
    pottydoc said:
    Cad, I seldom even buy ground beef. The first deer on th ground each season gets the tenderloins and backstraps cut out, and every thing else gets ground. We usually mix a little pork fat with it, it’s great in anything you’d normally do with burger. 
    i have never been a fan of venison until a customer gave me some ground venison he had made from a hunt he did. I used one batch in chili and made spaghetti with some. The sausage I just grilled with onions. It was great. He graduated from UF and i haven't had any since. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I make it every Season..
    Hot Italian , Breakfast , Salami , Hunters Sausage, Ground Beef..It's all good.
    2 deer and 3 Hogs keeps me in meat for the Year, except for store bought Chicken and Steaks.

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,865 Captain
    You can't beat smoked deer sausage made right.  It's delicious.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,070 AG
    Don't over cook it. No more than 140 IT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 7,646 Admiral
    Flash said:
    Don't over cook it. No more than 140 IT

Now that’s news I can use.
  • dolfanjoeydolfanjoey Posts: 1,171 Officer
    I did a hind leg with the Lem's ham product mentioned above and it came out great. Couldn't tell the difference between the deer or the spiral ham. About an hour before it was done. I rubbed it with brown sugar and wrap it and it was moist as could be and my kids ate it like it was candy. Buy the stuff from Lem's, you wont regret it