2018 Mullet run

FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 416 Deckhand
Let's start a thread about 2018 mullet run

Replies

• GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 550 Officer
    Sounds like a good idea....
  • ReelHazardReelHazard Posts: 116 Deckhand
    Bear Point in FP was loaded with finger mullet last Saturday but fishing was slow
  • 20psimr20psimr Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    I was going to stockpile bait this year since I have a dedicated garage freezer and vacuum sealer. Worried about this red tide stuff now though  :#
    Chris
    Everglades 223cc
  • OUTTALINEOUTTALINE Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I've never had good luck freezing mullet when I go to use them there mushy.Great live though.
  • gibbsailgibbsail Treasure coastPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    bait has been scarce on the beach between ftp inlet and the rocks... any ideas on where the tarpon are
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,161 Admiral
    Change of plans, I'll be in Boca Saturday morning hopefully at Spanish River park with a castnet and some hope.    Anyone seeing them in Boca? 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • 20psimr20psimr Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    Good luck, just saw the chopper fly over with the fish kill up and down our S FL beaches. Made me want to cry. Looks like we are going to have a tough run this year. If the red tide doesnt kill the fish, it will definitely be keeping alot of people away from the inlets and beaches. I know I dont want to go down there with that going on  :'(
    Chris
    Everglades 223cc
    Yeah it is killing a lot of fish, haven't really heard any reports so when I get back I'll post what I see.    It's not going to be a waste regardless, now that I'm boatless I have to get out and wet a line any way possible.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 416 Deckhand
    Been working at a condo between lantana and lakeworth pent house ocean side. Haven't seen anything washing up or any bait in the water
  • baccaracbaccarac Posts: 73 Greenhorn
     we just saw our first schools  in lighthouse point down in Broward County 
    Fished spanish river beach this morning.  Nothing doing but seaweed moved under the bridge castnetted a dozen 6-10” mullet live baited and used for cut bait nothing doing but we saw a few schools by the bridge so they were there. 
  • ccampccamp Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Saw a few on the beach Sunday. Just north of fpi.

A bunch at Ponce inlet Saturday. 
  • AftershockAftershock Posts: 204 Deckhand
    Been slow off Palm Beach county as far as I know (which is not much).  Maybe a later run this year or a bust?
  • blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 198 Deckhand
    The mullet were all over FPI yesterday. 
    Lots of bait at lantana bridge this morning didnt see any mullet 
    I've been seeing mullet at low tide off of the beach about 3 miles north of the FPI.
    Out on the beach this morning at sunrise.  The mullet were running big time.  I didn't see a lot until around 8:00am but then they were pretty much everywhere.  The beach is a bout 3 miles north of the FPI, a little south of round island park.
  • skoonrskoonr Hobe SoundPosts: 17 Greenhorn
    Scattered pods in the IC between hobe sd and the SLI.
    Was told there was big pods in boynton today icw
    I was fishing in the mangroves just north of the FPI and it was loaded with mullet.  I wish I would have had my cast net.  They were everywhere and in huge schools.
  • CNTDRCNTDR Great Harbor Cay, BahamasPosts: 873 Officer
    Plenty of schools in the canals north of Blue Heron Bridge
    Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
    pm me for rental info.
  • Salty GatorSalty Gator Posts: 1,808 Captain
    Ran an engine test yesterday - still a lot of finger schools from Ft. Pierce to Hobe Sound on the inside.  Some big busts going on but couldn't slow down :'(
    Saw lots of schools between boynton inlet and Atlantic ave last night
  • RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,316 Officer
    Lots of bait schools in Vero area but red tide in the air and dead fish on the beaches. People coughing and complaining of throat irritation.
    Are these fish not affected by the red tide? I was worried it was going to be a major disaster if the run started during the red tide
    I saw a few schools on the beach, about 2 miles south of round island.  Not as many as last week but still a few around.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,486 Officer
    Canals filled with mullet at Hillsboro and PE.
  • ReelHazardReelHazard Posts: 116 Deckhand
    MacArthur Park and around Munyon 
    Couple of miles south of round island....Didn't see a single one.  I was there from 11:00-1:00...low tide
  • JohncdbassJohncdbass Posts: 132 Deckhand
    Finally they are back in the canals around Jupiter. Not in the millions we had the last few years but enough very large pods. Gonna cast net a few and hang on!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,628 Captain
    Back in the canals in ft lauderdale also, but struggling with poor water quality.