Fort Pierce 9/29

This past weekend, I had a good friend and his family came down to visit for a few days, on their way to Miami. I promised I would take them out fishing, and the weather cooperated enough to let us go out on the intracoastal. We started out at the mouth of the Fort Pierce Inlet at one of the day markers, with minimal luck. We caught one undersized Mutton Snapper and a Blue Fish. Since the bite was slow, I decided to move to another spot. Our second spot was much more productive. We landed 16 legal Lane Snapper, a few decent Jack Crevalles. After we ran out of bait, I decided to take my friends to Gilligan’s Island. They seemed to really enjoying see our beautiful water ways. I was very grateful that we caught some snapper as I promised my friend and his family fresh fish tacos. I put cut the fish up into chunks and soaked them in avocado oil with some seasonings. After the fish marinated for a few hours I grilled them up. My friend’s wife made some coleslaw for the tacos and I made a jalapeno key lime sauce. The spicy sauce with the creamy coleslaw was a great combination. The fish tacos were a big hit. All in all it was a great weekend visiting with friends. Good times and good food. I hope you all had a good weekend on the water also. Take care my friends and tight lines.

Replies

• GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 595 Officer
    Looks like the oreos were the secret receipe.   Looks good......
  • slobsterslobster Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Tight work on the Lanes. Gotta go fix something to eat cause your pics made me really hungry!!  TFTR
  • 20psimr20psimr Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Need recipe for this key lime jalapeno sauce! Your cooks always look great, and most of my catches turn into fish tacos. Coming from SoCal, I just cant seem to replicate that "street food" fish taco sauce you get on the baja fish tacos south of the border. Man I miss that! Always looking for a good fish taco sauce recipe!
    Chris
    Everglades 223cc
    Just to share, this is best one ive found so far but still seems like its missing something that I cant put my finger on

Fish Taco Sauce Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup sour cream
    • 1/3 cup Mayo
    • 2 Tbsp lime juice from 1 medium lime
    • 1 tsp garlic powder
    • 1 tsp Sriracha sauce or to taste
    Chris
    Everglades 223cc
  • TunachaserTunachaser Posts: 178 Deckhand
    20psimr said:
    Just to share, this is best one ive found so far but still seems like its missing something that I cant put my finger on

Fish Taco Sauce Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup sour cream
    • 1/3 cup Mayo
    • 2 Tbsp lime juice from 1 medium lime
    • 1 tsp garlic powder
    • 1 tsp Sriracha sauce or to taste
    Cilantro is the missing ingredient 👍👍
    AHH!!! Thanks Tunachaser, I do love Cilantro! Btw another share, since you brought it up. Best fresh salsa for any tacos, or just to nosh with chips. Ive had people pay me to make this for them in quantity. Bonus Guacamole recipe after.

My Pico de Gallo (I usually double this recipe, it doesnt last long!)

5-6 Vine ripe tomatoes, cubed
    1 Sweet yellow onion, cubed
    1/2 bunch of Cilantro, rough chopped
    1-2 Serrano pepper(if you want easy mode, just cut it down the middle and throw it in. Chop it fine if not. Easy mode will not be hot the first day, but after it "marinates" in the fridge for a night it will be just like you chopped it. Dont forget to take it out!) This is subject to taste. Use Habeneros if you want lava. Use a Jalapeno if just a bit of heat. Or dont use it at all for no heat.

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Add about a tsp of salt then taste. Keep adding salt until you can start to taste it. The tomatoes soak up salt. You can always go too little and add more later, if you add too much just add more tomatoes to recover. Its hard to add too much, trust me! Needs HEAVY salt, thats the key. Then let sit in fridge for a bit covered. The longer it sits, the better it gets. Good for 3-4 days in fridge.

Then, if you want true mind blowing Guacamole, mash an avocado, add a sprinkle of salt, then take a spoonful or 2 (drained of juice, use slotted spoon) of the salsa and mash that into the avocado. Thats true Cali style guac, no need for lemon or lime or any of that. BUT, eat it all because it goes black fast with the acid from the tomatoes! That shouldnt be a problem, if you have leftovers call me i'll come take it off your hands haha

(And yes Im bored at work)

Chris
    Everglades 223cc
  • blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 212 Deckhand
  • SLW UroCaneSLW UroCane Port St. LuciePosts: 407 Deckhand
    ahhhh, food shots and recipes! love it
    Tight Lines !!! For more information on a vasectomy, please visit www.gulfstreamurology.com.
    Same, these posts are like gold :smiley:
    Chris
    Everglades 223cc
  • K-DawgK-Dawg Posts: 163 Deckhand
    Best kind of report!