Interesting 10 K Catch Today..

Been fishing them Islands , Creeks and Bars for over 30 years. 
Caught a bunch offshore on the Towers but I've never caught a Barracuda in the Half way Backcountry.
Today I caught 2 , Small but brite silver. Got them in one of the 3 little creeks that run from outside up into Button wood Bay. Real low Tide and the creeks we're looking like Trout streams with undercut Banks and high Bars. Finger Mullet by the Thousands streaming thru...
must mean the Fresh water has slowed and the Salinity has increased.
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• nightflynightfly Posts: 497 Deckhand
    I caught one two weeks ago out of port of the isles. Small about a foot long thought it was a trout at first. 
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,220 Officer
    Are you referring to the Button Wood Bay that is just SE of the mouth of the Black River ?
    Giimoozaabi
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,022 Officer
    I have been catching them inshore consistently for the past year or two. They are always small. Have had them cut my leader a few times also. They sure have some sharp teeth. Just a very small tug of the line and it is cut.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    Are you referring to the Button Wood Bay that is just SE of the mouth of the Black River ?
    YUP...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • BobberBobber Posts: 887 Officer
    Caught them off and on for years,usually near inside of the river/pass mouths with shallow bottom areas. Haven't seen one since the last big freeze now that you mention it,haven't missed them either.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,036 Captain
    We catch an occasional one or two up in Whitewater Bay - always on the small side - and usually when we're working small lures for reds and snook along relatively clear water shorelines.. They get added to the daily trip ticket I'm required to file as a guide in the Park... I've always thought that they were a legacy of the times before Buttonwood canal got plugged in the early eighties.  Back in the seventies you could actually encounter a 15- 20lb 'cuda up inside in winter (and we all thought that was a clear indicator that too much salt water was getting up inside the 'glades because of that open canal) - it was one of the reasons so many fishing clubs petitioned the Park to plug the canal...

By the way in the backcountry, ladyfish is always the first choice for anyone wanting to use fresh cut bait - over on the Atlantic side of things we always used fresh 'cuda since it was easily obtained any day you needed one or two... One of these days a small 'cuda is going to end up as cutbait off of my skiff.  It'll be interesting to see how the hungries react...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • kci-miakci-mia Posts: 200 Deckhand
    We've frequently used small cuda cut "plug" style for night fishing from shore at East Cape along with cut ladyfish.  Large snooks and tarpons seems to always pick up ladyfish but we've caught some sharks on cuda.  We've also used fresh cut cuda as chum for sharks and it worked well. 

• Zone RangerZone Ranger Posts: 80 Greenhorn
    Caught a small cuda way back in Hells Bay on a Mirrolure 7MS before Buttonwood got plugged. Only time I ever saw a cuda at Flamingo.
  • tarponbro1tarponbro1 jacksonvillePosts: 105 Deckhand
    Back in the late 90s and early 2000s when I used to fish Flamingo I caught a few foot long cudas in the spring - mostly in May - in Whitewater Bay and all the way into **** Bay. I fished the Flamingo backcountry year round back then. I always wanted to catch a cuda and filet half of it and hang it off the stern of may boat in some channels in Florida Bay and see what came up to it. I could usually find a cuda or two around Clive Key.