Home Off Topic

Waiting the boar's season...

BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,971 Admiral
...we had some good time with pheasants

Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
********************************************************************************************************************************
I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Replies

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,427 Admiral
    nice shot....
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,980 AG
    Good shooting. Looks fun. Bird hunter here.
    Spent the weekend at my camp. Huge oak fell and crushed the cook shed and an 500sf storage shed. Crushed everything.

Brought guns but never touched them.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #4
    Dang.  

Nice shooting I wish we had pheasants.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,971 Admiral
    Resinhead said:
    Spent the weekend at my camp. Huge oak fell and crushed the cook shed and an 500sf storage shed. Crushed everything.

Ouch, this is bad. Sorry.
    Which kind of bird are you unting there ?
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    In Florida, we only have quail, and not as many as we used to. We also have dove and some ducks, migratory birds, although they are here all year too.
    Tight Lines, Steve

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,980 AG
    Resinhead said:

This is a still hunt deer camp. We have a 40 acre lake that has a duck blind and a few jon boats. We're just South of Lake Seminole so we do get a good amount of ducks. 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    Good stuff, Balla!  Thanks for sharing.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    surfman said:
    In Florida, we only have quail, and not as many as we used to. We also have dove and some ducks, migratory birds, although they are here all year too.
    We also have woodcock, snipe and some rails.

• dave44dave44 Posts: 11,549 AG
    In a galaxy far far away, I used to break horses and just as they became ready for a bridle we would start riding them out in the hills. I can’t describe how rodeo it would get when a pheasant jumped out of a fence row while traveling a steep, narrow path.
       I’ve never hunted them, but I wouldn’t have minded taking out a few.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    While in Montana on vacation a couple of weeks ago, saw pheasants everywhere between Helena and Bozeman. Would love to hunt them. 
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Pheasants are exotic introduced species.
    edited October 2018 #13
    Resinhead said:
    Resinhead said:

This is a still hunt deer camp. We have a 40 acre lake that has a duck blind and a few jon boats. We're just South of Lake Seminole so we do get a good amount of ducks. 
    It sounds like a wonderful men's cave  ;)
    edited October 2018 #14
    Cyclist said:
    surfman said:
    We also have woodcock, snipe and some rails.

As bird woodcocks are my favourite. Very hard to hunt them in my land.
    Yours woodcocks are very close than ours, just little smaller.
    dave44 said:
    In a galaxy far far away, I used to break horses and just as they became ready for a bridle we would start riding them out in the hills. I can’t describe how rodeo it would get when a pheasant jumped out of a fence row while traveling a steep, narrow path.
     :D 

Which galaxy are you speaking about ?
    Cyclist said:
    Pheasants are exotic introduced species.
    Even in Europe. It has been introduced by Romans. Anyway isn't considered an exotic species here.
    In North America, according to wikipedia, it has been introduced at the end of XVIII Century.  
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    That looks fun.  
    Are the regulations reasonable in Italy?  Is hunting fairly popular?
    Some countries these days it's about impossible.

I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    dave44 said:

Colorado galaxy. I’m so glad those days are behind me.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,427 Admiral
    dave44 said:
    dave44 said:

I never understood why people are attracted to horses. 
    And why nobody eats them is hard to figure as well. 
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    That looks fun.  

Well, regulation is not so bad to be honest but we have a lot of problem because of animalists, vegans and other paranoid fanatics. Not impossible for now but pretty close.
    Today we are more or less 700K hunters in Italy. In the middle of the '80 we were 1,7 million.
    Dang, I can't believe and I am surprised no one corrected me, we also have TURKEYs, one of my favorite animals to hunt but, we (I) only hunt them during the spring, you can hunt them on private land in the fall but, that's not as much fun as calling in a hot gobbler.
    Tight Lines, Steve

edited October 2018 #22
    dave44 said:
    dave44 said:

I never understood why people are attracted to horses. 
    And why nobody eats them is hard to figure as well. 
    We were working with some high dollar cutting horses, but I went to an auction with some friends awhile back and the prices of saddlebreds were staggering!
       Our horses have always been run of the mill quarter horses.
    surfman said:
    Dang, I can't believe and I am surprised no one corrected me, we also have TURKEYs, one of my favorite animals to hunt but, we (I) only hunt them during the spring, you can hunt them on private land in the fall but, that's not as much fun as calling in a hot gobbler.
    That’s another one that takes off like thunder. Be nice if you could convince them to give a little warning?
    That looks fun.  

Well, regulation is not so bad to be honest but we have a lot of problem because of animalists, vegans and other paranoid fanatics. Not impossible for now but pretty close.
    Today we are more or less 700K hunters in Italy. In the middle of the '80 we were 1,7 million.

What in the hell is wrong with this site?  I can't fix this quote no matter what I try...

That's amazing, the decline in numbers.  As a wingshooter/bird hunter, when I think shotguns I think Italy.  Sad to see as it does not bode well for future public perception and policy towards hunting.

How's the duck hunting there? The scenery is beautiful, wondered if there was a major flyway/migration route thru that part of the mediterranean..

I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    edited October 2018 #25
    That looks fun.  

What in the hell is wrong with this site?  I can't fix this quote no matter what I try...

That's amazing, the decline in numbers.  As a wingshooter/bird hunter, when I think shotguns I think Italy.  Sad to see as it does not bode well for future public perception and policy towards hunting.

How's the duck hunting there? The scenery is beautiful, wondered if there was a major flyway/migration route thru that part of the mediterranean..

Yep, even considering our guns factories (Beretta, Benelli, Franchi, etc.), very important for our GDP, it's pretty clear that the governments had never try to really stop the hate against hunters (in particular) and gun owners (in general).
    Unfortunately guns aren't politically correct, so this trend is just the obvious result of several years of hate instilled into the masses by media, politics and so on (not necessary explain which side of media and politics). 
    I think you folks can now understand very well what I mean.

About ducks hunting once it was very traditional on our lakes and swamps, especially in Northern Italy. As you said Italy is one on the most important route of birds migration on the Northern Europe-Africa (and vice-versa) path. 
    But nowadays duck game is in decline due the general decline of the hunting in Italy and furthermore cause the strong urbanization (hunting forbidden, de facto) of most of our lake rims and a lot of new rules that have discouraged many practitioners.
    Just like here in FL.  I can relate.
    edited October 2018 #27
    Not hunting today but whale watching :D 
    Well the footage needs some imagination :# (GoPro fish-eye lens sucks when in need to catch something far) but I met (first time in my life) two whales (mum and son probably) today.
    They were very close to the coast, less than 1 mile.

I consider myself very lucky for having seen those amazing animals live.
    I see a fishing rod, did you catch any fish? How do you know the young one was a boy? They got nads?
    Tight Lines, Steve

We (three anglers) have caught about 50/60 fish during the morning, but nothing really interesting. Few very small bluefins (2/3 lbs, obviously all released) and some mackarels.
    Considering whales and dozen of  dolphins around in the gulf is pretty normal not having so much fun.

I said "son" in general, maybe is the daughter :D .
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,444 Captain
    dave44 said:
    surfman said:
    That’s another one that takes off like thunder. Be nice if you could convince them to give a little warning?
    Ever try "warning" a wild turkey?
    Scoutboat said:
    dave44 said:
    surfman said:
    Ever try "warning" a wild turkey?
    I’ve warned quite a few, course I didn’t know they were there and scared the crap out of my horse.
       Guess I’m just good at it.