Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Horsebeach 9/26

Went out 17 miles 30 feet on way out caught some live bait anchored caught 5 flounder 4-5 gages  to small some red one 19 3/4 nice and fat . We ran out of live bait caught grunts some smelled like ammonia threw them back caught 12 that didn’t smell and2 nice black bass had enough it was ruff and storm coming so came back in was nice to get back out been couple months 

Replies

• Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 964 Officer
    anyone else ever catch flounder in 40 ft of water, all 5 were caught on live bait.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,268 Moderator
    I've caught some flounder offshore. Not many , but ALWAYS welcome..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,635 Captain
    I used to catch them regularly in 35 ft of water out of Tarpon Springs years ago.  They would hang around ledges on the down (sand) side.  Live whitebait was the ticket.

I caught one around a wreck in 50 ft on a pilchard and a few over open hard bottom around here on shrimp when fishing for hogs. 
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,959 Captain
    Rick1-2 said:
    anyone else ever catch flounder in 40 ft of water, all 5 were caught on live bait.
    I got one that was 3 ounces off the state record in 45’ west of cedar key with a 6oz grouper jig.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral

I've caught a few flounder offshore, it usually means you're anchored wrong for grouper. But they're generally big so I'm not complaining.

Ammonia-smelling grunts? You sure it wasn't iodine you were smelling? There have been several times when the grunts, and seabass to some extent, smelled strongly of iodine, I think it has to do with a certain worm they are eating but when you clean them up they taste fine.

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,635 Captain
    Yep.  It's an iodine smell and taste to most people.  As tankard said, it's when they're feeding on seaworms. 
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,531 Captain
    tankard said:

I've caught a few flounder offshore, it usually means you're anchored wrong for grouper. But they're generally big so I'm not complaining.

Ammonia-smelling grunts? You sure it wasn't iodine you were smelling? There have been several times when the grunts, and seabass to some extent, smelled strongly of iodine, I think it has to do with a certain worm they are eating but when you clean them up they taste fine.

Hi: curious, what do you mean by anchoring wrong for Grouper? Thanks 
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,079 Captain
    This time of year, I think that flounder are spawning offshore on any kind of structure. Usually if you got flounder there, there probably are a lot more. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    tankard said:

Yep.  It's an iodine smell and taste to most people.  As tankard said, it's when they're feeding on seaworms. 
    u guys are right(just smelled iodine) it is an iodine smell, pretty strong, last time we caught some that smelled like that i still cleaned them and froze them and when thawed they still smelled like that real strong, couldn’t eat them
    wow thats pretty cool nick
    tankard said:

we were anchored on a wreck, and my buddy (lmbrjack) caught them all on the side of the boat he was on, the side i was on were little gags 

ruff one 
    we figured there’d be more but ran out of live bait and didn’t catch any on cut bait
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    tankard said:

The flounder are off the structure on the sand. The grouper generally wont come that far off to feed.