Home Off Topic

Governance via victimhood

Replies

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,427 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #62
    Cyclist said:
    fins4me said:
    Will be our downfall. It has become the driving force in everything that our federal government does. It steers our national dialogue in directions that offer ZERO posibility of productivity.

It limits our potential, stagnates our plans and costs the taxpayers hundreds of billions each year.

It is insidious yet as destructive to our future as any war or national disaster that has ever faced our nation. 
    I would say that governance by racist, misogynist, bigoted, homophobic good ole white boys has screwed this country up pretty good.

We need more women in control...not angry pasty fat white dudes.
    This is a racist comment. :'(

I am saying that in this country, it is not an even playing field between women and men, whites and people of color, poor and rich etc. in the rise to a quality life and a decent paying job.

My contention is that you are so busy looking for slant in the field.....you have failed to acknowledge the obvious possibility. 

You are a victim of a corporate owned media bent on controlling the labor market by dividing it's members.

Is it absolutely impossible that white males, on the average, make better employees.... generally speaking?

If hiring someone is a risk...and we all know it is..... as an employer, does it not make sense to look for educated white males, from 2 parent households with transportation and an education? 

There is absolutely no chance of one getting pregnant......statistically less chance of them getting arrested, and almost no chance that they will get deported.

Not racist....a smart business move.

Your overwhelming sense of social compliance and what I suspect is a career in the public sector has led down this path of intellectual degradation. 

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,197 AG
    I'm a victim after reading this thread.  
    Warning Level 2
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG

Color of skin, race, creed, sex do not matter in a western society.  Those that claim they do are the problems.  
    They should not matter.  But they do.

The problem is not those who claim there is a problem, but rather those who suggest there is no problem at all. 

Listen, we can discuss what's the right approach to the problem -- including doing nothing -- or if the media and politicians play to and exacerbate the problem -- they clearly do -- but to pretend that race, religion and sex don't matter in western society is simply denial of the obvious.

I wish it were so, but it simply is not.

IMO, of course....Mike
  • JWTJWT Posts: 726 Officer
    life is inherently not fair. we can do more to level the playing field for some, but not everyone is born into the same situation. Fact.  most folks have this figured out pretty early on in life. the ones that don't, seem to endlessly complain & demand that something be done, but offer very little in concrete steps to change things. seen the pictures coming out of Indonesia today? if you were born in the US, you are better off than most people in the world on day one. ................. we can get better, of course. Kaisan........every day. 
    JWT,  I find myself agreeing with much of what you posted.  Question:  Since you say we can do more to level the playing field and the ones who are on the short end of the stick offer very little in concrete steps to change things, what would you do?  Thanks..Mike
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,190 Captain
    Cyclist:
    look up the % of minorities graduating high school, or college.  And, the % of committing violent crimes and being locked up.   Look up the % of single parent households, and % of pregnancies outside of marriage...

IF, any person wants to do better in their life; they should graduate high school, get a job and keep it, and not have kids until marriage and/or are further in their career.  

Just because certain cultures in our communities explicitly tell others to do the opposite of the above;(listen to rap lyrics) this does not mean it is the "white-peoples" fault!

Yes, horrible things were done to blacks 100s of years ago in this country.  BUT, zero people living now were on either side of the chains... 

Yes, schools in certain areas are worse than others.  But, perhaps school choice could help some people get out of crappy schools... (like Scandinavian countries do)

There are plenty of examples of people rising up and making something out of their lives...but, i don't know of many who complain at their current state in life and somehow rise up.. 
    JWT,  I find myself agreeing with much of what you posted.  Question:  Since you say we can do more to level the playing field and the ones who are on the short end of the stick offer very little in concrete steps to change things, what would you do?  Thanks..Mike
    Mike,
    you didn't ask me, but I will answer with what I would do...

1)I would have loved to learn about money while in high school... Yes, we learned to balance a check book.  But, I would have loved to be taught from someone like Dave Ramsey.  Teach, what a amortization schedule is, and ask the kids would they pay X amount of dollars for that new pair of shoes/phone/car/house if paying interests..  Show them how money and interests works!
    2) I would allow school choice.  Each kid gets a voucher for X$ and is allowed to chose the school they want.  This worked great in some European countries.   Competition ALWAYS breeds success!  
    3) Legalize most drugs and/or empty the prisons of non-violent offenders..  Give them jobs sorting recyclable materials, or building a border wall, or building solar panels, or whatever... BUT, if they leave prison with a felony record; the vast vast majority go back to prison...

Education is always the key in everything.  I wish I had learned #1 way way earlier in life... I would be retired by now! 
    edited October 2018 #69
    Thanks Mark!

1) AGREE 100%
    2) I'm not sure that privatization is the right answer and I'd be concerned a voucher program would do just that, but I do agree that we need more competition in schools, and most of all improvement in the academic performance of students.
    3) Agree 100%.  I'd go even farther and say we should do FAR less corporate welfare (i.e. an extremely cheap source of labor for a small group of corporations) and more public works projects, as you suggest.

Just goes to the point that I've tried to make many times on these forums:  If we can just get past the rhetoric we find that we're usually pretty darn close on the issues.

Thanks again.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    fins4me said:
    We have allowed what were once great cities to devolve into shitholes so that the homeless and gangs will not feel abridged. Go ahead camp in the streets, crap on the sidewalks and pumg your bodies full of drugs via syringes supplied to you by the few real taxpayers, ,, when you are finished feel free to deposit them on the nearest park bench. We will send some illegal immigrant invaders employed by the taxpayers to maybe pick them up.
    Which cities are shitholes, and when was the last time you were there to observe first hand?

Because it sounds to me like you need to get out more  The cities I travel to don't resemble your observations; and your posts seems to be closer to a Lou Dobbs or Tucker Carlson rant than it does reality.

Ever been to Detroit? Central LA? Camden NJ? Chicago between 87th st and Pershing road or around midway airport? How about Bayonne NJ?
     Or a little closer to home, Jacksonville? 5 points area, beaver st?
     I could go on. Then again I don’t jet into a place and limo ride to the “nice places”.  
    edited October 2018 #71
    Cyclist said:
    dave44 said:
    Cyclist said:
    Cyclist said:
    Cyclist said:
    Oooo, you gonna blame the victims too? Seems to be the angry white man thing to do...you do know that white men in America have had it better than 99% of all humans ever born!
    Anyone born in America have it better than 99% of humans ever born.  The western ideals of the past ~300years; have led to more freedom than at any time in history.  Obviously, western society is not perfect, but anyone living in one, has the ability to live better than people not born here and in this timeframe.  

Color of skin, race, creed, sex do not matter in a western society.  Those that claim they do are the problems.  
    Yes, all Americans have is pretty good but you are absolutely wrong and your wrongness is easily verified by factual data, when it comes to skin, race, sex, age, etc.      Wage disparities, continued fall out from redlining, hiring disparities, etc.

How so?  Where I work your paid on your experience. It does not matter your race or sex. 0.45 cents a mile is the same. Now try again. 

dave44 said:
    I don’t understand what cyclist is saying when he started  ranting about skin and race. Is he saying there is a difference between those two, or was it some strange slip?
    I am saying that in this country, it is not an even playing field between women and men, whites and people of color, poor and rich etc. in the rise to a quality life and a decent paying job.

Respectfully I disagree, I think you are reading too many politically generated talking points from crazy people.
    Facts do not line up with yall's feelings. Sorry, Ill take the facts, unless you can provide some that back up your arguments.

Not many people get 1million bucks from daddy to "get started" in life.
    Are you telling me that a kid from a poor family in Appalachia is not gonna have a harder time? A WAY harder time?

Then explain how most successful people enrich themselves? Sounds to me like you have an ax to grind? Apparently you have been a failure and hate anyone who is doing better than you?
  • JWTJWT Posts: 726 Officer
    i meant that the ones doing most of the complaining offer few solutions.

edumacation is the key. we need to re-evaluate our priorities in that regard. how we treat our teachers is terrible & we will pay a price for that & already are. teach our kids how to learn, not what to think. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,019 Admiral
    Ole Pete is right in a way...
    If you grow up with Rich Parents and the best schools . Chances are your not gonna be working in a Coal Mine. Wealth and Opportunity breed the same.
    Sooo , The big question is..How do we fix that ?
    Give everybody a cool Million ? 
    Send everybody to the Best Schools ?
    No matter what we do some folks are gonna turn into Trash..
    Their will always be an Underclass. Sometimes it's not Opportunity but Goals that's why some poor folk have climbed the Mountain. Can't fix Stupid...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Well, you sure as heck don't "punish" success, in the name of "fairness".  
    That was tried last century, and costs 100s of millions of lives. 
    My last 2 careers are begging for workers.  You need a DL, no felony, and show up for work on time.  It's not difficult to have success in this country, especially now in this economy 
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    We as a nation need to stop looking for and providing excuses via the multitude of victimhood classes and instead use that energy toward developing expectations. 
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral

Cyclist likes women to wear the hijab, yea men of color treat their women so good.

Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,261 Captain
    Everyone is equal under the law, but not everyone is created equal. My brother had no problems in school, things from a book came easy to him. I was the opposite. To this day I have to read a book over and over to get what they are saying. But I have always been good at fixing things, was a above average A/C mechanic. I believed in fixing things fast and doing it right the first time. My brother did well in the Air Force and made a career out of it. But he lacks the ability to use his hands the way I do.
     I am 6'4" and weigh in around 210. Was a little smaller in high school. All my life I have heard "You must play basketball since your so tall". In reality that white men can't jump thing was written about me. I truly can't play basketball. I am not a sports person.
     Everyone should have a place to excel whether its a white collar job, a janitorial job or a grease monkey getting his hands dirty or maybe even someone playing with balls.
     Whatever it is my opinion is the best qualified should get the job.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG

Cyclist:
    look up the % of minorities graduating high school, or college.  And, the % of committing violent crimes and being locked up.   Look up the % of single parent households, and % of pregnancies outside of marriage...

IF, any person wants to do better in their life; they should graduate high school, get a job and keep it, and not have kids until marriage and/or are further in their career.  

Just because certain cultures in our communities explicitly tell others to do the opposite of the above;(listen to rap lyrics) this does not mean it is the "white-peoples" fault!

Yes, horrible things were done to blacks 100s of years ago in this country.  BUT, zero people living now were on either side of the chains... 

Yes, schools in certain areas are worse than others.  But, perhaps school choice could help some people get out of crappy schools... (like Scandinavian countries do)

There are plenty of examples of people rising up and making something out of their lives...but, i don't know of many who complain at their current state in life and somehow rise up.. 
    So are you saying that people purposely screw themselves because they are ??? There are so many extenuating circumstances that have great bearing on ones life and early formative years. All those things you say that one MUST DO are not that easy for a lot of folks in this country....and through no fault of there own.
    Cyclist said:
    dave44 said:
    Cyclist said:
    Cyclist said:
    Cyclist said:
    Oooo, you gonna blame the victims too? Seems to be the angry white man thing to do...you do know that white men in America have had it better than 99% of all humans ever born!
    Anyone born in America have it better than 99% of humans ever born.  The western ideals of the past ~300years; have led to more freedom than at any time in history.  Obviously, western society is not perfect, but anyone living in one, has the ability to live better than people not born here and in this timeframe.  

Yes, all Americans have is pretty good but you are absolutely wrong and your wrongness is easily verified by factual data, when it comes to skin, race, sex, age, etc.      Wage disparities, continued fall out from redlining, hiring disparities, etc.

How so?  Where I work your paid on your experience. It does not matter your race or sex. 0.45 cents a mile is the same. Now try again. 

dave44 said:
    I don’t understand what cyclist is saying when he started  ranting about skin and race. Is he saying there is a difference between those two, or was it some strange slip?

Respectfully I disagree, I think you are reading too many politically generated talking points from crazy people.
    Facts do not line up with yall's feelings. Sorry, Ill take the facts, unless you can provide some that back up your arguments.

Are you telling me that a kid from a poor family in Appalachia is not gonna have a harder time? A WAY harder time?

Then explain how most successful people enrich themselves? Sounds to me like you have an ax to grind? Apparently you have been a failure and hate anyone who is doing better than you?
    Nope...I have a great supportive family, financial security, an easy way to college and everything that many take for granted and assume every one else has as well. I also know how lucky I am and how the LUCKY sperrrm club works.
    The problem is the wealth divide is HUGE in this country and getting worse. And yet the rich complain, complain and complain about taxes, government programs and the like. What gives? And this is SUPPOSED TO BE A CHRISTIAN NATION.....huge amount of hypocrisy and LARGE number of productive people slipping through the cracks on the way to serfdom.
    Cyclist said:
    Cyclist said:
    dave44 said:
    Cyclist said:
    Cyclist said:
    Cyclist said:

dave44 said:

Nope...I have a great supportive family, financial security, an easy way to college and everything that many take for granted and assume every one else has as well. I also know how lucky I am and how the LUCKY sperrrm club works.
    The lucky club has nothing to do with it. I have known numerous people who’s well of parents handed them the keys to their successful business and they proceeded to run it into the ground. 
    fins4me said:
    We as a nation need to stop looking for and providing excuses via the multitude of victimhood classes and instead use that energy toward developing expectations. 
    So this basically means the perpetrators of the crimes continue the same ole. Not going to happen, the downtrodden are tired of the BS.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    No, not the same.  
    Expectations would be a novel idea.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,197 AG

Warning Level 2
    Cyclist said:

So are you saying that people purposely screw themselves because they are ??? There are so many extenuating circumstances that have great bearing on ones life and early formative years. All those things you say that one MUST DO are not that easy for a lot of folks in this country....and through no fault of there own.
    No, people generally do not purposefully screw their lives up...  

However, lets look at a few different cultures in our society, and compare expectations and results: 
    1) Asian-Americans:  Strong family units who value hard work, education, and often times are very harsh on their children to succeed in school.  
    2) Indian-Americans: Same as the above for the most part.
    3) Hispanic-Americans: Strong family units, who value hard work, but not so harsh on their children when it comes to education.  
    4) Jew-ish: expectations for people of jewish decent is often that you must be a Doctor or lawyer..  

#1&#2 are the highest income-earners in America.  Despite the fact that most of their family came over with little to no wealth; and asian-Americans were often times used as cheap labor in the western states.  Their children were shown the value of hard work and education, and now are reaping the benefits.  

Pretty much every single one of our families came over to this country on a boat, likely with little to nothing to show for as far as wealth.  However, each generation had the opportunity to do better than their parents.  Not every person has the intellect or ability to do so, but for the most part if you tried, you could succeed.  

As far as what I posted earlier about graduating high school, getting a job, and not having kids until later... Your response is BS!  It is not difficult for 99.5% of kids to graduate high school.  Getting a job, and keeping it is rather easy... And, it is very easy to not have kids... EVERY kid has the ability to not get pregnant....  birth control is cheap and easy..  

Kids need to stop listening to what the political left-elite say that their lot in life is the fault of others..  Victimhood is a contagious disease that changes nothing..  

Cyclist said:
    The problem is the wealth divide is HUGE in this country and getting worse. And yet the rich complain, complain and complain about taxes, government programs and the like. What gives? And this is SUPPOSED TO BE A CHRISTIAN NATION.....huge amount of hypocrisy and LARGE number of productive people slipping through the cracks on the way to serfdom.
    ahhh the ole wealth divide BS drivel..   Do you complain about the wealth divide between the leftist who are worth millions?  Or Bernie Sanders having 3 houses, while his supporters live in their parents basement?  

There is and always will be people with great wealth.  BUT, they are not sleeping on their stacks of cash.  They invest that wealth in things, which provide jobs to other people, thus making themselves and other workers more wealthy!  

Read a freaking economics book for once... your ideas of a utopian society has been tried before, and failed miserably.   The latest example is Venezuela... Largest oil reserves in the world, amazing country; and they tried socialism to "redistribute" that wealth... and what happened!? 

Or, we can tax the heck out of the wealthy and see what happens...  Trump (i did not vote for) lowered taxes last year, and now many companies are offering $15hr jobs.... something that libtards have been screaming for years for!  
    edited October 2018 #88
    Mark,  Not that it matters to the argument, but Jews are higher earners than Indians/Hindus or Asians.  http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/10/11/how-income-varies-among-u-s-religious-groups/

But what you point out, and I agree with, it is that achievement starts with the family and its values, and it's realized by education -- but what you seem to be moving right past is that it is easier said than done with broken families, unstable living situations, and not enough food to eat.

So rather than focus on the "victimhoood" or "liberals" as the problem -- or make this a partisan issue when it should not be --  why not get at the root cause and solutions?

You're falling into the trap of partisan politics disinterested in the solution, IMO, as is Fins, and pointing to victimhood as the problem is an equally contagious disease that similarly changes nothing.

edited October 2018 #89
    Cyclist said:
    ahhh the ole wealth divide BS drivel..   Do you complain about the wealth divide between the leftist who are worth millions?  Or Bernie Sanders having 3 houses, while his supporters live in their parents basement?  

There is and always will be people with great wealth.  BUT, they are not sleeping on their stacks of cash.  They invest that wealth in things, which provide jobs to other people, thus making themselves and other workers more wealthy!  

Read a freaking economics book for once... your ideas of a utopian society has been tried before, and failed miserably.   The latest example is Venezuela... Largest oil reserves in the world, amazing country; and they tried socialism to "redistribute" that wealth... and what happened!? 

Or, we can tax the heck out of the wealthy and see what happens...  Trump (i did not vote for) lowered taxes last year, and now many companies are offering $15hr jobs.... something that libtards have been screaming for years for!  
    First of all, you apparently do not know the details of the Sanders vacation homes. You can google it.

Secondly, non of those things that trump has done or the wealthy's investments has lowered the gap and provided more economic sustainability for the working class. In fact, they helped the 1% more and the gap is widening. Look at what the corporations did with their tax breaks, bought back stock that increased the value of the wealthy.

Lets look at the tax on the wealthy. Lowest it has been in decades.

Do you think there may be a correlation with the wage gap and the lowering of taxes on the wealthy? I thought that giving more money to the rich helped the poor. HA HA HA HA .

Cyclist said:

No, people generally do not purposefully screw their lives up...  

However, lets look at a few different cultures in our society, and compare expectations and results: 
    1) Asian-Americans:  Strong family units who value hard work, education, and often times are very harsh on their children to succeed in school.  
    2) Indian-Americans: Same as the above for the most part.
    3) Hispanic-Americans: Strong family units, who value hard work, but not so harsh on their children when it comes to education.  
    4) Jew-ish: expectations for people of jewish decent is often that you must be a Doctor or lawyer..  

#1&#2 are the highest income-earners in America.  Despite the fact that most of their family came over with little to no wealth; and asian-Americans were often times used as cheap labor in the western states.  Their children were shown the value of hard work and education, and now are reaping the benefits.  

Pretty much every single one of our families came over to this country on a boat, likely with little to nothing to show for as far as wealth.  However, each generation had the opportunity to do better than their parents.  Not every person has the intellect or ability to do so, but for the most part if you tried, you could succeed.  

As far as what I posted earlier about graduating high school, getting a job, and not having kids until later... Your response is BS!  It is not difficult for 99.5% of kids to graduate high school.  Getting a job, and keeping it is rather easy... And, it is very easy to not have kids... EVERY kid has the ability to not get pregnant....  birth control is cheap and easy..  

Kids need to stop listening to what the political left-elite say that their lot in life is the fault of others..  Victimhood is a contagious disease that changes nothing..  

What about Inner city ghettos and Appalachia. Both face issues that were not of their making.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,074 Moderator
    fins4me said:
    Will be our downfall. It has become the driving force in everything that our federal government does. It steers our national dialogue in directions that offer ZERO posibility of productivity.

It limits our potential, stagnates our plans and costs the taxpayers hundreds of billions each year.

It is insidious yet as destructive to our future as any war or national disaster that has ever faced our nation. 
    Image result for calvin and hobbes culture of victimhood

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)