Home Off Topic

Florida's polluted waters

Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,919 Admiral
It is really getting bad, as many people already know.

I'm really surprised that I see very little mention of this on FS which usually leads the state in protecting our waters. It IS highly political, is that why there is no thread in OT, and almost none in Confron.

What's up Everybody. It's time to rise up and stop this before it kills all our marine life, tourism, and eventually, us!
Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events

Replies

• frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    Yes, it puts a damper on the fishing when you have to throw everything back because you can't eat it
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,763 Admiral
    Maybe it's just a Chinese hoax.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,990 Admiral
    Because we've already been down this road...
    Not much is going to change unless you move about 5 million folks off the water and above the Florida line.
    We can cry and stamp our feet and the Politicians can promise all they want...but no changes in my lifetime...or yours...or anybody's...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    We are all responsible for this and we all need to come together to find a solution for this and implement it somehow. Things may never be perfect again due to OUR indiscretions as humans, but we also don't need to stay with the status quo.  
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,919 Admiral
    It's happening because big business dictates governmental policy, plain and simple.

People need to rise up soon!
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,747 AG
    The problem seems to be that the people who are not directly affected (yet) don't care.   
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    TRT is right as to the source of the problem. If you live south of about Hwy 50, we all contribute to it. To say otherwise only shows that you're uninformed. The reason it won't be solved anytime soon is that people aren't ready to accept their role in the problem and don't want to be inconvenienced by what it would take to improve the situation.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,418 Captain
    Cane Pole said:
    It's happening because big business dictates governmental policy, plain and simple.

Rise up and do what? Ban people from moving to the state? 
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Cane Pole said:

Look in the mirror and you will see the problem. 
    As  TRT said, about 5+ million people would have to leave.  Ain’t gonna happen. 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    People used to come to Florida for our wonderful environment and natural wonders like our springs, now they come here to ride amusement rides and play golf, they don't even go into the woods. Most just think it is someone else's problem. I have seen many a pristine lake go to pea green after a development started building on it, just sad really.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,089 Admiral
    We are all responsible for this and we all need to come together to find a solution for this and implement it somehow. Things may never be perfect again due to OUR indiscretions as humans, but we also don't need to stay with the status quo.  
    So we can impact our environment? 
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    Most of the fun/smart folks have been driven off, CP. They did care about such things, and were a great asset
    to the sport.  

Now we only talk about football here.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,223 AG
    TRT is right as to the source of the problem. If you live south of about Hwy 50, we all contribute to it. To say otherwise only shows that you're uninformed. The reason it won't be solved anytime soon is that people aren't ready to accept their role in the problem and don't want to be inconvenienced by what it would take to improve the situation.
    Dang it, I live about 300 yards south of Hwy 50.    
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    edited October 2018 #15
    Image result for population of florida chart

Open borders will make this all better....more people, the better things will get.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,508 AG
    Screw it, just enjoy the ride.

Captain Todd Approves

• EnyarEnyar Posts: 101 Deckhand
    Unfortunately, we are in the minority when it comes to who cares about our environment.As much as we want to care there are 20x the people out there that would prefer to golf, live in the suburbs, eat at **** restaurants and find other ways to pave over paradise. 

Upgrade those fuel tanks and start running to the Bahamas while you still can. Fl aint getting better anytime soon. Sorry kids.
  • MadbeachMadbeach On the riverPosts: 970 Officer
    Enyar said:
    Unfortunately, we are in the minority when it comes to who cares about our environment.As much as we want to care there are 20x the people out there that would prefer to golf, live in the suburbs, eat at **** restaurants and find other ways to pave over paradise. 

Upgrade those fuel tanks and start running to the Bahamas while you still can. Fl aint getting better anytime soon. Sorry kids.

Yup.  And for those leaving for greener pastures, there's 3 more behind wanting to get in on the FL life. 

• FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    Cane Pole said:
    It is really getting bad, as many people already know.

I'm really surprised that I see very little mention of this on FS which usually leads the state in protecting our waters. It IS highly political, is that why there is no thread in OT, and almost none in Confron.

What's up Everybody. It's time to rise up and stop this before it kills all our marine life, tourism, and eventually, us!
    I think the best answer is to promote the public to figure this out..  The state has failed.   Make it peoples occupation to figure this out and award them financially with tools like grants.   Blaming the company with the most money only gets the lawyers paid.    
    And Grants live Forever...
    And they paved Paradise and put in a Parking lot....
    Only thing that would clean up our waters is 40 below Zero , Howling Noreasters , 20 ft. of Snowfall every couple months and Earthquakes that only happen below Orlando...winning..
    Abolish A/C, except in commercial buildings.
    Tight Lines, Steve

On a related note, the Pompano run this year gets a double wack, pollution from the Carolinas carried down to the green slime waters 
    Dang
  • saltyreefersaltyreefer Posts: 245 Deckhand
    It's definitely a cesspool compared to what it was. Myself and parents are natives and the changes are unreal 
    Now they are seeing red tide on the east coast.  :/
    Tight Lines, Steve

surfman said:
    Now they are seeing red tide on the east coast.  :/
    It’s got us surrounded 

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,508 AG
    GD African dust!

Captain Todd Approves

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    edited October 2018 #29
    Madbeach said:
    Enyar said:

Yup.  And for those leaving for greener pastures, there's 3 more behind wanting to get in on the FL life. 

Yep, can't wait to get in on this paradise:

I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,391 Admiral
    We need to build a wall.
    Great idea…..now what about the 3500 miles of coastline?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • Yankees will pay...................100%
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.