Home Off Topic

Stashing Cash...

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,006 Admiral
    I'm going to live on Social Security and bank savings account ..and Stashed cash or Gold.
    The Stash is for day to day , Food , Gas , Truck stuff , House stuff.
    The rest is direct deposit or already in the Bank currently or an Investment acc...small , 65 K ..with Raymond James doing %12 last couple years.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    Funny you should mention that.  I have some cash and guns stashed.  No possible way anybody could ever find the stash short of a major earthquake or meteor strike.   Nobody else in the world knew where until 2 days ago.  I just told my sister where, in case I die suddenly.  She lives far away.
    23895.gif
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    Been thinking about it as I near Retirement age.
    Untouchable that way. Ammo can buried or similar. I know about Inflation , I know about Investments . I know I won,t make a dime on it....But it will always be there , just sitting...safe.
    Most likely I'll use it for day to day living...$100 here ..$100 there.
    Keep some in the Bank for the Big Hits.
    I'm thinking about 150 K , 50's and 20's. I earned it , I payed Taxes on it. It's not Drug Money or the pay for a Hit. It's mine.
    What will the IRS say if I just make the withdrawal...will they know..will they care.
    Benefits...Disadvantages ?..what say you...
    Rolls of silver coins 1964 and earlier. Not gold. Small denomiation dimes and quarters. They are generally inflation proof.
    Example: In 1964 you could buy a gallon of gas for a single silver quarter. That same quarter today will buy almost exactly 1 gallon of gas.
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,543 Admiral

I forgot to mention another source to keep up with inflation, land!  They don't make it anymore.  I own many acres and a few houses.  They keep appreciating every single year.

I've got 5 pieces of land...Gonna sell it off slowly.
    I have a good friend that invests in gold and silver...Gonna talk to him.
    Cash , Gold and Silver and a little weed all stashed in an Ammo can...winning..
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,256 Captain
    I thought cryptocurrency was going to be the new gold standard. What happened to that?
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    AH , No it's not . I'm retiring , Selling my house and moving...making plans now Bro.
    If you are selling your house, where are you going to live?
    My Hunting Cabin...
    Far North fla above the Red Tide line.
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    My Hunting Cabin...
    Far North fla above the Red Tide line.
    Ah. I'll be retiring soon hopefully also. I'll be staying a little closer to civilization though. Your bills will be much cheaper sounds like.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    AC Man said:
    What determins this option is do you have sufficient income other than what  you want to stash?

My mom has 300k in a annuity that is guaranteed to pay 17k for life. Why give that up to stash cash. Plus it is still growing and death benefit is at least the investment plus intetest.

I'f you have good income go for the stash. 150k won't last no time. With out other income. Unless you you want to live on social security.
    Because the payer could vanish and not pay her.
    Though it's extremely unlikely.

If the **** hits the fan TRT is thinking, $150K will likely be worth more than a current multi millionaire.
    That's a ton of cash to have when everyone around you has $0.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Lake-LinkerLake-Linker Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Gary S said:
    Money changes in appearance over time. Old money is still legal just doesn't look right.  Seems to me you would be better off converting cash to gold and stating that. You can always keep a roll of cash handy for impulse buys. 

I've heard it said that using multiple old style Benjies to pay the AC guy or landscapers can be a little dangerous: having more than a couple in the bunch means there's a stash somewhere.
    That's not something I'd want to advertise.

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,615 AG
    AC Man said:
    What determins this option is do you have sufficient income other than what  you want to stash?

My mom has 300k in a annuity that is guaranteed to pay 17k for life. Why give that up to stash cash. Plus it is still growing and death benefit is at least the investment plus intetest.

I'f you have good income go for the stash. 150k won't last no time. With out other income. Unless you you want to live on social security.

If the **** hits the fan TRT is thinking, $150K will likely be worth more than a current multi millionaire.
    If the **** hits the fan so bad that millionaires are penniless and the babks and stock market are gone. Any cash you have will be worthless. The government will be gone at that point . The only things of value will be things people need to survive. Barter will be the trade if the day 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

AC Man said:

If the **** hits the fan so bad that millionaires are penniless and the babks and stock market are gone. Any cash you have will be worthless. The government will be gone at that point . The only things of value will be things people need to survive. Barter will be the trade if the day 

Mini Mart Magnate

edited October 2018 #45
    AC Man said:

If things get that bad that millionaires are penniless and the banks and stock market are gone. Any cash you have will be worthless. The government will be gone at that point . The only things of value will be things people need to survive. Barter will be the trade if the day 

Mini Mart Magnate

Talked to a friend today over lunch , explained it all to him.
    He says Gold and Silver. Don't know ho much Gold he has but he did say 9 pounds of Silver.
    Small pieces of gold , couple hundred a pop , 75 K worth and 25 K cash.
    Trade in the Gold as needed...
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    So you guys think those ruling amerika now will fail big time? Didn't you vote for em?
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    I think that it is naive not to recognize how fragile our technology dependant system really is. Even if the worst were to happen cash would probably hold value for a while. If you are in position to set some cash aside it is foolish not to do so.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    edited October 2018 #49
    No the ones trying to make it amerika will though, dam commies...

Note to self...ignore the hater...
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    Cyclist said:
    So you guys think those ruling amerika now will fail big time? Didn't you vote for em?
    No, I think it'll happen when the pendulum swings the other way. And it will swing back hard. It's a cycle and it seems to be getting more and more amplified.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    surfman said:
    No the ones trying to make it amerika will though, dam commies...

Note to self...ignore the hater...
    The russians and their pawns?
    Cyclist said:
    No, I think it'll happen when the pendulum swings the other way. And it will swing back hard. It's a cycle and it seems to be getting more and more amplified.
    When the poor (the current system is making more of them every day) can't get enough food, you will have your revolution....and it will not be as you say.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,258 AG
    That's when the vegans will rule the planet because they can just eat bark
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
    That's when the vegans will rule the planet because they can just eat bark
    Then we are doomed, meat increases brain size and function...
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,045 Moderator
    Talked to a friend today over lunch , explained it all to him.
    He says Gold and Silver. Don't know ho much Gold he has but he did say 9 pounds of Silver.
    Small pieces of gold , couple hundred a pop , 75 K worth and 25 K cash.
    Trade in the Gold as needed...
    Your friend is right. You should have a stash of smaller, easily convertible items of value. While paper dollars would be part of mine, I'd also include small gold bars, small silver bars, older silver coins, etc. Any currency that has intrinsic value. Paper has no value except the faith that makes it valuable.  Keep in mind, if you need to purchase items a large bar of gold/silver is more difficult to barter with than a smaller piece. I'd keep most of my precious metals in the .10 to .50 oz area, maybe some 1-5 oz silver bullion.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,363 Admiral
    cadman said:
    AC Man said:

If things get that bad that millionaires are penniless and the banks and stock market are gone. Any cash you have will be worthless. The government will be gone at that point . The only things of value will be things people need to survive. Barter will be the trade if the day 
    Agreed! The company my mom has her guaranteed investment with is 125 years old with perfect history. If it goes down hill that bad we are on the barter system and living off the land. What good would a hunk of gold, silver, do you. 

I don't see it getting that bad in my life time. That's for the preppers.

Actually used to keep some cash stashed as well. Not anymore. Unless it is illegal cash I dont see the point.
    A/C..It's not a Sky is falling event I'm worried about...
    It's a Medical Event where I get a $120 Thousand dollar bill for Cancer or whatever event.
    If I don't cover my a.ssp I could end up eating dog food for the last , Golden Years of my life..
    I'd rather have stock pile of food and high-powered weapons.  More valuable than gold.
    WIth this I could rally a community that could go out and acquire anything they need.
    Like the Vikings. 
    You are forewarned.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,974 AG
    I'm heavy in lead.

I'll get what I need.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    A/C..It's not a Sky is falling event I'm worried about...
    It's a Medical Event where I get a $120 Thousand dollar bill for Cancer or whatever event.
    If I don't cover my a.ssp I could end up eating dog food for the last , Golden Years of my life..
    Wouldn't it be nice if people weren't forced to make the decision between living and hiding assets?
    I'm gonna live...I'm just not giving everything I own to do it...winning..