Best times of year for Yankee Capts. trips

I have never been on the Yankee Capts., but am buying the gear now and plan to start going once or twice per year probably.  I am most interested in the bottom fish (muttons, grouper), somewhat for tuna, less so for kings or African pomps.  What times of the year are best for the bottom fish particularly?  I anticipate going on the mutton trips, Tortugas, and Pulley Ridge LITE initially,  probably the deeper Pulley trip later.  Also, how valuable (necessary) is live bait such as pinfish for the mutton trips?  I do not currently have an aerator cooler, but would get if important.  I am sure I will write Captain Greg in the future, too, but wanted to get some advice from any regulars first.  Thanks in advance for any info.

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,103 Captain
    Dont need live bait. Live bait catches sharks. I would refer the the Yankee Capt website for tackle and bait recommendations. They do it quite a bit and know what works. Get fresh dead gogs. All the trips I've been on are good, you just gotta be fishing to catch them, not sleeping. I would maybe stay away from a full moon, bc of current but current can also vary year to year and not all spots will have the same. But just book and go, they wont take you out on a bad trip.
  • cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 447 Deckhand
    All of what reel teal says. The website has it all, but you don't have to have it all to have a great trip. Your first trip will give you a shopping list to prepare for your next one. You can quiz the forum for bait as your trip approaches. Greg says over and over, putting in your time at the rail and natural presentation of the bait will catch you dinner. The first couple years I caught lots of fish on a 7 ft ugly stick and a Daiwa saltiest black and gold, conventional reel. Make sure your knots are good, don't leave any weak links. Some of my best fish never made it to the boat, but by the time I'm 110, I'll almost know as much as Dudley! LOL
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 813 Officer
    edited October 10 #4
    It’s all about the wind. I would say winter has better fishing but it’s generally windy 40% of the time.

We are in the midst off some excellent fishing the last 10 months. Best I can tell you is book a trip and hope for the best.

Just remember I don’t do trips just to get them in. I’m in no way interested in beating people up just to get the money.

Greg
  • InstaGatorInstaGator Posts: 111 Deckhand
    Grady 27, see my recent post.  Bait is not necessary.  You will actually catch more fish suing jigs i.e. hammered or slow pitch jigs.  i went to the expense of getting fresh Gi’s and it is not necessary the frozen ones from Anglers bait and tackle did just as well.  I only plan to use GIs in the future when i need to take a break from jigging.  jigging is pretty strenuous and at my age i cannot do it all day long.  I fished all but 2 hrs on the last trips for a total of approx 34 hrs.  If you jig fish wou will catch your limit in about 1/2 of that time in my estimation, if not sooner.  September is nice and calm but it is ridiculously hot.  My next trip will be in fall or early spring.
  • Grady27Grady27 Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all the replies.  I am sure I will be booking with you in the near future, Greg.  Still buying the gear I need and having a rod made.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,166 Captain
    when greg takes boat out= best time 2 go.
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Knot AwakeKnot Awake Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    edited October 10 #8
    Anytime the boat leaves is a good time to be on it. I personally have been on about 15 trips and try to schedule one about every other month. My best advice is to follow the recommendations on the website and keep it simple. I too spend as much time as I possibly can stand at the rail... it pays off...
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,166 Captain
    when greg leaves dock
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]