Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Redfish and snook closure FWC 2-26-18 south of Big Bend

I just copied parts of the statement. 

Media statement: FWC Commission expands fishery management measures in response to red tide

At its September meeting in Tallahassee, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) directed staff to expand a recent catch-and-release only measure for snook and redfish to include Tampa Bay (including all of Manatee and Hillsborough counties) as well as all of Pinellas and Pasco counties starting Friday, Sept. 28. 

The FWC also directed staff to extend these measures through May 10, 2019, in these and other areas previously made catch-and-release for redfish and snook.

Replies

• permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,073 Officer
    Yikes, its getting closer! 
    The closure is a good thing at this point. Its been slowly creeping north. Ive watched as my southern fishing areas got hit and each week its just a little further north. fingers crossed, no SW winds, please
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,321 AG
    we, will have SW winds when the fronts come on down.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,635 Captain
    edited October 2018 #4
    It's actually not SW or W winds that move the red tide north.  There is both surface and subsurface transport. These depend on the relative volume of the tidal flow in each direction. West winds tend to move drifters (and red tide) southward. East winds, which reduce water movement into the Big Bend, are typically what increases northward transport near shore.

Things rarely work the way you might think they would by only looking at the surface.

Each red tide is different and there are no good predictive models that universally apply. But in general, the algae population structure undergoes a large change in the fall as falling temperatures and light levels make species that were highly abundant over the summer less competitive. 
    true doc. they say this red tide bloom has been fed by unusual currents pushing mississppi river flow towards florida. 
    water temps at 88 this time of year is unusual too.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,270 Officer
    Hopefully the fall cool off will reduce our chances of getting it. Sad state. Although, I would be happy if Snook were catch and release here all the time. Harvesting Snook after a winter kill we had last year is hurting the population. They take too long to grow!
    Hopefully this hurricane will break up that massive bloom! (and not be  devastating to those in it's path)
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    They say the hurricane will make it worse, stir things up and feed it.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers