I was really surprised.....

The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,217 Officer

About twenty years ago I bought a used 1971 two hp Evinrude as a "Get Back" engine for places where Tow Boat US probably could not reach me.... like the back waters of Hell and Lane Bays. I haven't been back in those places for many years, so the tiny motor has been sitting in my garage stored in a military duffel bag and wrapped up in a heavy duty garbage bag. This little 2 hp one cylinder engine had not been started for at least six years or more.  After filling a 55 gal drum with fresh water  unpacked it the other day…. it would not start after many tries..  I figured the magneto want south, but on a whim I pulled the spark plug, but it looked good; but  since it had a little oil on the electrodes I cleaned it with a wire brush with a Dremel Tool and brake cleaner.  After replacing the plug the little old engine started on the first pull and purred like a kitten. Too bad these old 2 cycle engines pollute the water so much, but they sure were reliable due to their simplicity; Plus you can lay them on their side and not worry about oil leaking out which happened to a friend of mine after he bought a brand new 5 hp Honda four stoke. Attar he laid his new engine one its side in the bed of his truck on a blanket, the oil all leaked out and also fouled the engine’s injectors. He had to get it worked on two weeks after he bought it.  The warranty shop told him NEVER to lay it on its side AGAIN ! 

Giimoozaabi

Replies

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,948 Captain
    Probably all he needed to do was read the owners manual, most people skip that important detail.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,217 Officer
    surfman said:
    Probably all he needed to do was read the owners manual, most people skip that important detail.

There are only a few steps in starting one of these early engines:

Pour some fuel in mixed 50:1 

Open the valve under the fuel tank

Pull out the choke lever all the way out.

Move the throttle to the START position

Pull the rope recoil

After it starts push the choke level in half way and let the engine warm up a bit before pushing in the choke lever all the way in.

After it warms up you can give it more gas.

And BTW i have the original owners manual for this engine but do not need to read it, since i have been rebuilding engines before you were probably born.

Giimoozaabi
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral
    if you want to sell it i'm sure there are more than a few buyers
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,217 Officer
    Sorry Surfman i thought you were referring to me. LOL  And yes i doubt my friend ever read the owner's manual.
    Giimoozaabi
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,948 Captain
    By the way, I 62 so you must be a pretty old dude. :)
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.