Home Off Topic

All this talk about the AC Temp got me wondering

cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,608 AG
edited September 2018 in Off Topic #1
It seems most keep their AC at 70 to 75 in the summer with some going below 70 at night. Most seem to think mine at 79 is high. I am comfortable in shorts and T-shirt with a fan blowing. 

But what I curious about since everyone loves it  so cold is..

what do you keep your heater set at in the winter. Mine is at 66 degrees. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Replies

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,357 Admiral
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,038 Moderator

Night time is 58F

Day time is 68F

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

So if you are happy with 66 in the winter, why 79 in the summer. My elderly mother runs the heat and cool the same temp.HOT
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,750 AG
    edited September 2018 #5
    I have been in this house since 2006 and the heater has been on maybe five or six times.  Huge difference between Gainesville and South Florida.  My mother, now in assisted living, used to keep her temp set @ 75 during the winter in KY.

Day and night.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    Running an ecobee4 with a remote sensor and amazing the difference between rooms
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,608 AG
    edited September 2018 #7
    AC Man said:
    So if you are happy with 66 in the winter, why 79 in the summer. My elderly mother runs the heat and cool the same temp.HOT
    i use to keep it a 75 until one year I decided to see how much it cost me. My light bill (which includes water, gas, garbage, sewer, etc) was about $250 ti $300 a month in the summer and $200 or so in the winter with it at 68. I moved the thermostat up to 79 and used the ceiling fans and the bill went down to about $200 a month and I wasn't feeling hot. I guess i adjusted.  The bill for the winter dropped slightly, but not as dramatic as the summer, I had even tried a programmable thermostat, but it didn't help much with the costs, Another thing to save money was to lower the water heater to 120 degrees an insulate it. Where I live now we have got to insulate the attic better. But the electric here is only $100 to $125, water is on a well. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,974 AG
    My last 5 spec houses have had mini spilt units. Don't think I'm ever going back to full house systems. Too much unused conditioned space. Each one was on the market for about 5 days max. One was bought by a searching realtor when she first looked at it.
  • hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,382 Captain
    From 7 am to 4 pm-77, other than that-73
    winter is about 66-68
    if its expected to get "cold" I will turn on the heat for a few minutes to burn off any dust
    do it when awake so it doesn't get the smoke detector in the middle of the night
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    72 year round
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,347 Admiral
    CCCCOOOOOLLLLLLDDDDDDD! in the summer and zero heat in the winter.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    Summer: 76 in day, 74 night
    Winter: 74 in day  70 night
    Deo Vindice
    Ok, how bout this... staying at a nice hotel, tell me you don't have the A/C punched! Lol.

Again, in 9 years at my rental the highest temp I have seen is 74. That is rare. As far as heat. Never seen it turned on. People want the house cold and the pool hot. Have a limit on that too at 82 degrees. If you can't deal with AC at 69 and the pool at 82 move along.

• RareRare Posts: 248 Deckhand
    House 68-69 all day. Winter no heater needed. Might put the AC on fan to circulate air at night if windows are closed. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,608 AG
    edited September 2018 #15
    Hotel room small, no fans, always humid. I put then at 72 and figure that is really 75. I doubt any hotel has an honest thermostat. That is what you should do ACman. Reprogram it so if it says 72 it is 75 and see if they keep it the same. Or do what a few places do. Use a probe with a remote thermometer and put a fake one on the wall. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,048 Admiral
    When I changed out my AC unit last year I opted out of Heating as I never used it in my old unit. I think I turned on the heat  one time in the old unit in 15 years and turned it off right away as it was burning off accumulated dust. I am in S. Florida though.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,563 AG
    I think we set the heat at 70.  

Captain Todd Approves

• Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,632 Admiral
    AC Man said:
    Ok, how bout this... staying at a nice hotel, tell me you don't have the A/C punched! Lol.

The second I go into the hotel room, the thermostat gets set to it's lowest number which is usually 65 or 62 degrees.  But at home, I am similar to Conchy Critter where central air is set for 77 during the day and 76 at night, with ceiling fans running in the rooms we are in.  During the winter, fans are still running, but we rarely ever use the central heat.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Wife likes 73 in summer. No heat unless the grand babies are spending night. Happy wife - happy life (cold husband though)..
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    cadman said:
    It seems most keep their AC at 70 to 75 in the summer with some going below 70 at night. Most seem to think mine at 79 is high. I am comfortable in shorts and T-shirt with a fan blowing. 

But what I curious about since everyone loves it  so cold is..

what do you keep your heater set at in the winter. Mine is at 66 degrees. 
    Same here. I actually have it set at 82 in the summer. But I am under a fan in bed or in the living room. Electric bill at it's peak in the summer is around $150.00. In the winter I put the stat at about 68. With warm clothes on.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    They keep the a/c at 75 here at the office and I am freezing. They would turn it down lower if some of us didn't complain, I have a sweat shirt I wear sometimes, can't stand to be cold. Winter is different, I think the difference is that when the a/c comes on it is blowing cold air to get the temperature down in summer and I usually don't like that unless I'm really hot. In the winter the a/c blows warm air, of course, so it is not as bad keeping the temperature set lower. Not sure if that makes sense?
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,003 Admiral
    77 days...75 nights..with the ceiling fans at med or hgh.
    Winter , My Heat strip ain't worked for 10 years. Couple little Space heaters and I'm good.
    Bath a
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,256 Captain
    surfman said:
    They keep the a/c at 75 here at the office and I am freezing. They would turn it down lower if some of us didn't complain, I have a sweat shirt I wear sometimes, can't stand to be cold. Winter is different, I think the difference is that when the a/c comes on it is blowing cold air to get the temperature down in summer and I usually don't like that unless I'm really hot. In the winter the a/c blows warm air, of course, so it is not as bad keeping the temperature set lower. Not sure if that makes sense?
    I agree I'm cold at 75, Two biggest complaints with air conditioning is too hot and too cold.
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,930 Captain
    Wife likes 73 in summer. No heat unless the grand babies are spending night. Happy wife - happy life (cold husband though)..
    This is they way we are. If not for my wife I could keep mine at 78 during the day and maybe 75 at night during the summer and 65 during the winter. She likes 73 during the day and 69 at night during the summer. 70 in the winter. My wife and my partners say that my thermostat is screwed up. I like my office 75 and everybody else wants it at 72 or 73. 
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
    surfman said:
    They keep the a/c at 75 here at the office and I am freezing.
    Same in our office. I take a walk outside a couple of times a day to warm up!
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    What’s a “air conditioner “??
    AC Man said:

Of course! Then use the blankets off of both beds to keep warm!!
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    edited September 2018 #28
    We have a mini split with spider (blower in Attic and ducts).

And a problem. Have to keep thermostat at 73-74 to get humidity below 65%. WAY too cold. If we set it at 80-82 like our old house and Carrier unit the humidity will hit 80% and higher.

From what I understand, the minisplits always pretty much blow air....even when not cooling....thus sometimes air is blowing over wet coils humidifying the house.  Also they are so efficient they don't run much, even to keep house at 73. Entire electric bill is 65$, even with low temp setting. 2 fridges, box freezer and every appliance electric.

Any AC experts have any suggestions? Hate to get a humidifier, may have too.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,038 Moderator
    Sounds like your AC may be over sized.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Sounds like your AC may be over sized.
    It is a small house, about 800ft2. But the minisplit is tiny....designed for one large room.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    What is the units rating? Tonnage?