Home Off Topic

Collard Greens and Frog Legs.

AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,357 Admiral
Watching BBQ Pitmasters. Southern cooks, some own restaurants. And none had ever ate collards or frog legs, much less cooked them. How can that be with southern  competition cooks. They ALL bombed on those side dishes.

Even my Yankee wife knows how to cook greens. Boil with fat back, season with butter , salt, pepper, and most important pepper sauce to finish it off. A no brainer and they all failed.

Replies

• swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    I guess no real "southern" cooking experience is required. Let's face it, cooking greens (mustard, turnips & collards) should be a prerequisite to qualify!!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,003 Admiral
    If you don't know how to cook Frog legs you sure ain't Gigging any..so your a wuss  in this Southern Boys book already...
    Frog legs are Earned...Not Given..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • JoyTimeJoyTime Posts: 53 Deckhand
    Native Floridian here..used to catch frogs off the airboat near 40 mile bend and even off of some dirt roads off of Chrome Ave..delicious. Oolight after a rain produced some champs as well.  There’s some good eatin’
  • JoyTimeJoyTime Posts: 53 Deckhand
    Any of you guys remember Snowden restaurant in Old Cutler? Nanny was the cook and she made some **** good frog legs and greens

• tjensentjensen Posts: 359 Deckhand
    smoked neckbones (meatier than hamhocks) are much better than fatback. Mustard greens and turnip greens together with a piece of onion in the pot makes pot liquor amazing with crackling cornbread! Couple more months and the greens will be ready.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,750 AG
    tjensen said:
    smoked neckbones (meatier than hamhocks) are much better than fatback. Mustard greens and turnip greens together with a piece of onion in the pot makes pot liquor amazing with crackling cornbread! Couple more months and the greens will be ready.
    Throw a couple of neckbones into a slow cooker with some green peanuts........10 hours later...WOW!
    Vote for the other candidate
    I Hate Greens..well let's just say I never cook them , so they might be ok.
    Smoked Ham Hocks / Black Eyed and Corn bread makes a Man strong.
    I could eat it 4 times a week...
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,649 AG
    And you call yourself Southern??? Come on man. FAIL!!!
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,563 AG
    edited September 2018 #10
    I'm having hotdish with pop.

Neil Young was right.

Captain Todd Approves

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,608 AG
    I loved collard greens, never cooked Frog Legs. Only ate them once and not that impressed. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

I love frog legs and collard greens.

Captain Todd Approves

• fishinbugfishinbug Posts: 372 Deckhand
    JoyTime said:
    Native Floridian here..used to catch frogs off the airboat near 40 mile bend and even off of some dirt roads off of Chrome Ave..
    Natives spell it Krome. ;)
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,256 Captain
    So did Mr. Krome
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,048 Admiral

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

micci_man said:
    And you call yourself Southern??? Come on man. FAIL!!!
    Biscuits and Sausage Gravy this morning....Southern Food my Friend...Southern..
  • YnotjaxYnotjax Posts: 330 Deckhand
    I went went to College at Louisiana Tech.  I always hated Cooked greens and spinach hated them.  A room mate in the dorm told me to try it.  **** when cooked right they were fantastic the old ladies in the cafeteria cooked them with fatty bacon honey or maybe sugar.  Old soul food style when I saw it served always grabbed some.  Changed my view on nasty vegetables.  Still can’t stand it when I try it here in FL, it’s about how you cooked it.  Miss that style of cooking.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,789 Admiral
    If you wanna see them ALL fail then get them to cook some poke salad.
    If they even know what it is.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,420 Admiral
    Gardawg said:
    It's poke sallet, not poke salad.

You throw a few smoked ham hocks in...... with just about any edible plant and it will taste good.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    Gardawg said:

not everyone spells in ebonics

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

• fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    My mom used to make fried frog legs and frog leg gravy and biscuits for me and my friends. We would go out right after dark,, gig up a bunch. Clean them and leave them with mom. We would then go cat fishing all night coming in the next morning for breakfast. 
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,357 Admiral
    Remember Frogs restaurant on Tamiami Trail? Used to ride our motorcycles out there in the 70"s ?
    Greens cooked to death with fat back, butter, salt and pepper with pepper juice I can eat by its self. Maybe not healthy but tasty.

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,974 AG
    My greens simmer for 2 days with home smoked hocks and bacon in them.

Velvet smooth.
    Gardawg said:
    Gardawg said:

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    Gardawg said:
    Gardawg said:

I don't speak Geechee either.

Gardawg said:
    Gardawg said:
    Gardawg said:

The name of the plant is poke sallet......doesn't matter where yo mama is from.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,693 AG
    Gardawg said:
    Gardawg said:
    Gardawg said:

The name of the plant is poke sallet......doesn't matter where yo mama is from.
    I agree.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Phytolacca americana, the American pokeweed or simply pokeweed, is a herbaceous .. The plant and its cooked leaves are also called poke salad.

Regional names for the plant include poke, poke sallet, and pokeberry.

• Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    edited September 2018 #29

I don't think I ever tried anyone's greens that I did not like.  I can cook some good ones, but I prefer to use mixed greens, collards, kale, cabbage, bok choy, mustard.  Mix and match.

A friend of mine has a reputation for making some great collards.  He always gets asked to bring them to the party or cook-out.  He confessed finally that his recipe was - go to Winn Dixie, buy canned collards and heat them up.

I like frog legs whenever I've had them, but always a bad memory of collecting 20 giant bullfrogs for my high school biology teacher.  When we dissected them, they were ALL full of worms.  That memory takes away some enjoyment for me.

23895.gif
    **** who cares how it is spelled when you all know what you are talking about. 

Captain Todd Approves

• tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral

Going to need garlic and onions in them greens.

Oh, and bacon is way better than fatback or salt pork.