Home General Fishing

Wading/ Diving Boot Ideas For Bridge And Causeway Fishing Please

BasstarBasstar Posts: 521 Officer
edited September 2018 in General Fishing #1

Up to this point all of my wading and inshore saltwater fishing has been beaches on the west coast.  I always fish barefoot unless the water and air temps are cold enough to wear waders.

I’m planning a trip now to the east coast and from my research I will probably be adding bridges and causeways to my itinerary and I envision those areas having large boulders, rip rap, etc., and some sort of footwear will be necessary.

I’ve seen the Neoprene flats style boots which appear to be fine for beaches, mud, etc., but am wondering they are a good choice and have the right type and thickness in the sole for walking around bridge areas, causeways, rocks, boulders, etc., in addition to wading the beach areas.

I’ve also seen some diving boots that appear to have an actual hard sole.

Probably my basic question is do I need the hard soled wading/ diving boots for a combination of wading and fishing around bridges, causeways, rocks, etc., or will the flats boots such as the Magellan and World Wide Sportsman be sufficient?

Any suggestions, ideas, and experiences are tremendously appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Replies

• JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Have a look at water shoes. There's loads of different types. 
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 521 Officer
    edited September 2018 #3

You probably have a ton more experience than I but from my limited experience the water shoes I've seen wouldn't stay on in some of the areas I've waded because some of the mud I've experienced would hold the shoes and suck them right off my feet.

Thanks though for the tip and perhaps I'm wrong in my assessment.

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,709 Captain
    Ive fished the rocks and such around sebastian inlet.  You could wear the wading-boots on them.  I wore old tennis shoes, and changed into sandals once back to my vehicle as the shoes were wet.  

I think a pair of wading flats boots will be overall fine, and keep a 2nd pair of something drier to change into once back on land.  just my .02
    Ive fished the rocks and such around sebastian inlet.  You could wear the wading-boots on them.  I wore old tennis shoes, and changed into sandals once back to my vehicle as the shoes were wet.  

I think a pair of wading flats boots will be overall fine, and keep a 2nd pair of something drier to change into once back on land.  just my .02
    Thanks for the Info, Sir.
  • Capjohnson.mikeCapjohnson.mike Posts: 108 Deckhand
    Yea man I fished in flats boots for years before I started wearing waders. Bass pro has them for like 20 bucks. Have at it!
  • JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Basstar said:

You probably have a ton more experience than I but from my limited experience the water shoes I've seen wouldn't stay on in some of the areas I've waded because some of the mud I've experienced would hold the shoes and suck them right off my feet.

Thanks though for the tip and perhaps I'm wrong in my assessment.

I know what you mean about them coming off if your wading on soft ground. I have had that issue in the past. Although I currently have a pair that I can tighten up and don't have that issue. 
    Thanks so much everyone for this terrific info and excellent insight.  I think I'll combine my running shoes, my waders, and a pair of flats boots and make my choice each trip dependent upon where and how I decide to fish that day.

This is exactly why I enjoy and appreciate this forum so much.

As a freshwater angler who only rarely has the opportunity to fish saltwater, I've learned so much from the members here that would have taken me many years of trial, error, and mistakes to learn on my own.
  • Big Sky DaveBig Sky Dave Posts: 50 Deckhand
    I use fly fishing wading boots, the ones that trout fishermen wear.  They lace up and stay on,  Rubber bottoms for sand and felt with studs for wet rocks.  Heavy socks or neoprene booties inside them help keep the sand out.