Guilty Of and Saddened by Another Fishery

With the red tide around I have extra time to type.  I'm guilty of being responsible for:

In the 70's.  As a kid overfishing the runs and brooks of the PA mountains.  We had a great childhood fishery of native strain brook trout.  That is gone (endangered if not extinct).

In the 80's.  Overfishing the weakfish spawns of the Delaware Bay.  Dozens of 12+ pound fish was not uncommon in the day.  Them days are over.

In the 90's.  Trout fishing pristine waters throughout the rockies.  Now owned by the wealthy and posted.

1980-2015.  Working indirectly for the government and reeling in more than my share out of DC.

2015 til.  Fishing Sarasota Bay.  Being non-Flogrown, flushing my toilet and keeping the occasional sea trout for dinner.  Hoping someday to keep my first snook, because I enjoy cooking and eating fish.  Did that goober in the tower boat really need to speed thru that 10" deep healthy grass flat?

Off the soap box...

Peace    

Replies

• lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 709 Officer
    The tower boat goober is buzzing the shoreline to plan his trip for the next day with his clients. Instead of actually understanding the fish, they take the short cut. I can't tell you how many times I've been on the trolling motor heading to  a shoreline and they blow right in front of me. The mullet fishermen are even worse. Many spots that used to be loaded with fish, are just not the same. Between the fish just getting sick of all the boats and people that who don't consider it a good day of fishing without a cooler fish. 

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,191 AG
    The tower boat goober is buzzing the shoreline to plan his trip for the next day with his clients. Instead of actually understanding the fish, they take the short cut. I can't tell you how many times I've been on the trolling motor heading to  a shoreline and they blow right in front of me. The mullet fishermen are even worse. Many spots that used to be loaded with fish, are just not the same. Between the fish just getting sick of all the boats and people that who don't consider it a good day of fishing without a cooler fish. 

the mullet fishermen are looking to make a strike, just like they have done for decades...
    long before you were playing with your fish.

I actually know what the fish are doing before they (fish) do..
    I'm that good.
    you should strive for that level.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    They can make a strike. They just don't have to butcher the flats in the process, or have no consideration for the rest of the people that enjoy fishing. 
    They can make a strike. They just don't have to butcher the flats in the process, or have no consideration for the rest of the people that enjoy fishing. 
    Get off our flats!

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Are you serious, or just a complete moron? If your goal is to just put up useless posts, then mission accomplished. Unreal 
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 814 Officer
    Art lol. 
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,335 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Get off our flats!

Funny reply, but this doesn't help!
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Get off our flats!

Funny reply, but this doesn't help!
    doesn't matter with some people, so why try to explain it?

Just like the idiots that tie up to USCG maintained channel markers then get upset when other boats don't slow down...lol
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 437 Deckhand
    Are you serious, or just a complete moron? If your goal is to just put up useless posts, then mission accomplished. Unreal 
    I would say both. He is always defending the commercial rapers of the sea, never accepting accountability for his bycatch, nor apologizing for the poor manners of his fellow colleagues. He trolls this site and insults many, but I think he is on some state committee, so they let him get away with his curt replies. 
  • pretzelbpretzelb Posts: 118 Deckhand
    Kind of reminds me of some of the charter dudes that come in like a lightening strike 50' from you when your anchored up.. Then berates YOU with all kinds of body gestures when you pull up everything and leave with a thunderous hole shot at the same distance..LOL.. Entitlement...Isnt it great.....
    I would say both. He is always defending the commercial rapers of the sea, never accepting accountability for his bycatch, nor apologizing for the poor manners of his fellow colleagues. He trolls this site and insults many, but I think he is on some state committee, so they let him get away with his curt replies. 
    do you apologize for others poor manners? 
    BTW, I haven't insulted you, why insult me?
    and just a little info.
    If the mullet are scattered across the flats, throwing a swell or two on them will cause them to bunch up enabling the fisher to catch more efficiently no matter what type of gear is used..

Sorry our method doesn't meet your high and mighty standards..
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 806 Officer
    Too many people and too few resources.
    CaptJ said:
    I fail to see how mullet catch can be reduced from 24 million lbs to 11 million and be a bad thing....

SPR and SSB are all way above ABC... It's just a yankee thing with lucky and others po'd  about competing fishers (hence the tower boat snarky comments) not conforming with THEIR idea of how a day on the flats should enfold..

When I'm fishing a flat, regardless of its a mullet fisherman, a guide, or a freaking kayak. If your within 100 yards of me when there's a half a mile of open water, you are a xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

I always think of how to  best navigate to not mess up someone fishing. As far as the yankee thing goes, if you want to go there, you're a hillbilly redneck. Lol 
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:
    CaptJ said:
    I fail to see how mullet catch can be reduced from 24 million lbs to 11 million and be a bad thing....

SPR and SSB are all way above ABC... It's just a yankee thing with lucky and others po'd  about competing fishers (hence the tower boat snarky comments) not conforming with THEIR idea of how a day on the flats should enfold..

"Yankee thing" and "THEIR", man you really let your intelligence shine ;)  That is about the stupidest thing i've ever read. I get it man your a commercial fisherman and that's how you make a living but news flash, the war ended 153 years ago. You really think every flats fisherman out there who is harassed by rouge commercial fishermen are "Yankees" ?   Another news flash without the "Yankees" and other tourists our states economy and many local home grown fishing guides, bait shops, bait fisherman, ect. would crumble.
    When it comes to the under powered Carolina skiff mullet idiots, they destroy entire shorelines for everyone else when they're buzzing in 12 inches of water clearly marked as slow zones.
    just one thing, I'm gonna fish the way I have for 35+ years, I'm either gonna look in places where I know fish might be or I'm gonna sit at the mouth of a creek and wait for fish to drop out...
    If you think that I'm going to change because there is 100x the numbers of you, you got another think coming.

I watch googans every day screw up more fish than they will ever catch in a year, be darned if I'll let you screw up mine.
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 116 Deckhand
    edited September 2018 #20
    Mullet fisherman aren't as bad on fish populations as people tossing snook off bridges and draging fish on rocks if you ask me.Every kind of fisherman can be annoying, guides or commercial it doesn't matter sometimes commercial guys are usually less considerate because at the end of the day they are trying to make money not that guides aren't but its just different.
    I don't disagree with you to an extent, but can you explain how it's "Just different"
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 116 Deckhand
    I don't disagree with you to an extent, but can you explain how it's "Just different"
    The commercial mullet fisherman have a quota to fill and will grind to knock it out fast as possible while guides are more laid back and have more of a chance to be considerate. Its hard to explain but i hope i got my thoughts across enough to get an idea of what I mean.
    I work with both groups daily and have for many years. I think you might be a little off in your opinion.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,710 Captain
    edited September 2018 #24
    Hillbillies are from tennessee or north carolina. Florida is too flat for HILLbillies. At least the Yankees should get their insults right....Carry on.....

hill·bil·ly
    ˈhilˌbilē/
    noun
    NORTH AMERICAN
    plural noun: hillbillies
    1. 1.
      INFORMAL•DEROGATORY
      an unsophisticated country person, associated originally with the remote regions of the Appalachians.
  • pretzelbpretzelb Posts: 118 Deckhand
    Reel Teal said:
    Hillbillies are from tennessee or north carolina. Florida is too flat for HILLbillies. At least the Yankees should get their insults right....Carry on.....

hill·bil·ly
    ˈhilˌbilē/
    noun
    NORTH AMERICAN
    plural noun: hillbillies
    1. 1.
      INFORMAL•DEROGATORY
      an unsophisticated country person, associated originally with the remote regions of the Appalachians.
    How about just "Red Necks " lol
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    I prefer "swamp flee", just heard that one a day or two ago
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 806 Officer
    Too many threads on this forum just become a ******* contest when the issues that are being discussed really are important to our future as sportsman. I was a commercial hook and line fisherman back in the 70's - 80's and have seen the problems stated here from both sides. Those of us who put in the time to find those productive spots are followed around by others relentlessly. I won't even fish or dive a favorite spot on weekends anymore for that reason. When there are plenty of fish to be caught in a specific area there is room for everybody, but a little common courtesy would go a long way. If people would put in the time to learn their craft they would catch their limits with ease. Too much complaining and not enough doing in my opinion. Oh, by the way, it seems to me that the developers and big ag destroying our environment are the biggest cause of smaller populations of bait and fish. If all of us could unite instead of argue endlessly maybe then we could elect officials who actually do have our best interests in mind. I have to just shake my head at the commercials by the same old group who pushed through the cuts to funding meant to correct some of our environmental problems stating that they are the one(s) to correct all the problems they created. Time to stop calling names and start doing.
    CaptJ said:
    Too many threads on this forum just become a ******* contest when the issues that are being discussed really are important to our future as sportsman. I was a commercial hook and line fisherman back in the 70's - 80's and have seen the problems stated here from both sides. Those of us who put in the time to find those productive spots are followed around by others relentlessly. I won't even fish or dive a favorite spot on weekends anymore for that reason. When there are plenty of fish to be caught in a specific area there is room for everybody, but a little common courtesy would go a long way. If people would put in the time to learn their craft they would catch their limits with ease. Too much complaining and not enough doing in my opinion. Oh, by the way, it seems to me that the developers and big ag destroying our environment are the biggest cause of smaller populations of bait and fish. If all of us could unite instead of argue endlessly maybe then we could elect officials who actually do have our best interests in mind. I have to just shake my head at the commercials by the same old group who pushed through the cuts to funding meant to correct some of our environmental problems stating that they are the one(s) to correct all the problems they created. Time to stop calling names and start doing.
    good post.
    CaptJ said:

Well stated