Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Never Good

loading my boat and another boat just came by wide open. Now hearing sirens toward river haven. Hope everyone will be alright. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Contender 27 Cuddy

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,165 Moderator
    ???
    "You'll get your weather"
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,902 Captain
    Was hoping we could make it through the season without a prop chop. 
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,133 Officer
    Don't know if it's related, but when I was out fishing on Wednesday afternoon, the Coast Guard issued a Notice To Mariners bulletin over the radio that there was an overturned 25' boat reported off of Homosassa.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • JtsJts Posts: 22 Deckhand
    We saw this boat when we headed out Friday.  Overturned twin engine named “hell or high water” looked like a nice boat.  Called it in to the coast guard but it had been reported.  Anyone know of this boat?
    Maybe 3pm yesterday coast guard was talking about an overturned vessel 20 miles out on 16. 

About that time this idiot ran 100’ off my bow and 50’ from my swimmers. 
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,133 Officer
    Jts said:
    We saw this boat when we headed out Friday.  Overturned twin engine named “hell or high water” looked like a nice boat.  Called it in to the coast guard but it had been reported.  Anyone know of this boat?
    That's the name of the one that they were issuing the warning on. They gave the coordinates, But I didn't pay much attention because I was way to the north near Seahorse Reef.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,835 Captain
    In the Crystal River now ?. South side of channel, maybe marker 10 or so.
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
    That’s a nice cooler strapped on top. 
  • VolFanVolFan Posts: 42 Deckhand
    It is my understanding that it was an airboat doing 40 mph as it passed Riverhaven Marina. FWC keeps a boat at the marina and an officer was just boarding the boat when the airboat passed. The officer caught up with him down the river.
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 589 Officer
    It was a mid 20' center console with twins. I've seen the ambulance waiting before but this is the first time I've seen a boat get there before that ambulance. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    VolFan said:
    It is my understanding that it was an airboat doing 40 mph as it passed Riverhaven Marina. FWC keeps a boat at the marina and an officer was just boarding the boat when the airboat passed. The officer caught up with him down the river.
    Can an air boat do 40 mph? That is moving pretty good, maybe some of these boats with the 500 ci motors I guess
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,799 AG
    Just have to keep my eyes peeled on craigslist now for a 25' with twins that says hell or high water on the side in "like new condition" 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    surfman said:
    VolFan said:
    Can an air boat do 40 mph? That is moving pretty good, maybe some of these boats with the 500 ci motors I guess
    A 40mph air boat is a slow one! 🤣
    Well I know they sound like they are doing 100 but from my observation maybe 30. :)
    Tight Lines, Steve

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    Some airboats can really move
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,940 AG
    surfman said:
    VolFan said:
    my little grasshopper with a 4 cyl. Lycoming will do close to 40..

and run dry..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    edited September 2018 #19
    Back in the '70s my best friend's uncle who lived on the Hillsborough river just down stream of TT had an air boat, it was a 4 cylinder aircraft engine, he used to take us for rides up and down the river on that thing and we would try to grab coots hanging off the front of it. it was a blast. It seemed fast but you are close to the water. I guess that some of those boats have NASCAR engines in the darn things and are very capable of exceeding 40 for sure but it always looks like they are making a hell of a lot of racket and going nowhere sometimes.

His family were some of the original settlers in the Tampa area and air boats and hound dog hunting was a common theme, I remember them telling me of the time they were coming back from a hunting trip and the big old Chevy Impala wagon that was pulling the air boat ran out of gas, so they went back and fired up the air boat and pushed the whole rig down the road to the next gas station (probably on US 41). Those were the days. Not the same air boat.
    Tight Lines, Steve