Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Crystal River deep dropping & surprise swordfish!

nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,959 Captain
Not really... :D But the inshore bite has been decent the past week.

Trout bite down south (Clean water) in 6-9' has been solid. Popping cork and a skrimp or paddletails on a 1/4 oz jig have been the go to. Lots of shorts but some decent ones in the mix. Plenty of Spanish macks and ladyfish as well! Medium point is a parking lot but the reds are there. Been fishing cut ladyfish and live pins. Pinfish if you want overslots...

Water temp yesterday at 1pm was 93!!!!

Replies

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,191 Officer
    Had me wondering for a minute about deep dropping for Swordfish around here. However, even harder to get is the elusive Homosassa Electric Marsh Marlin.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,959 Captain
    Had me wondering for a minute about deep dropping for Swordfish around here. However, even harder to get is the elusive Homosassa Electric Marsh Marlin.

Nice marlin!!!

Caught a 5’ houndfish yesterday on the flat. That was an interesting fight!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,321 AG
    nick said:

Nice marlin!!!

Caught a 5’ houndfish yesterday on the flat. That was an interesting fight!
    they eat pretty good.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    I used to catch 3'~4' houndfish off the lk. Worth pier 20~30 years ago. Those things could really jump!! I've seen them cover 20' at 6'`7' high!! Sometimes with a big cuda right on it's tail!! Lots of times you'd only pull in a head or half the fish! 
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!