DOW at 26,744!!

frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
Another all time high record for Wall St

and the beat goes on 
No political signature

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,783 Admiral
    BAM….Did about 12 % on my money last year....winning..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 2,677 Captain
    The stock market has been wonderful for me.  I started investing heavily back in 2008, ever since the market has been gangbusters.  I have some funds that have grown literally 80+% in 10 years.
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 1,796 Captain
    Doing well he also. Timing for pulling the plug before the crash will important. 
    Doing well he also. Timing for pulling the plug before the crash will important. 
    My retirement is 15 years out, I'll ride out the crash and just invest heavily when things are cheap.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,046 Admiral
    not really, did 17.9 on mine, wife's was 17.2%..

winning.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ScminnowScminnow Posts: 3,801 Captain

"I have no stocks. I advise people not to invest in the stock market, not now. Way too dangerous." Film maker Michael Moore, August, 2017.

"It really does now look like President Donald J. Trump, and markets are plunging. When might we expect them to recover?  A first-pass answer is never… So we are very probably looking at a global recession, with no end in sight." Paul Krugman of the New York Times the day after the election.

• ScminnowScminnow Posts: 3,801 Captain
    I pulled out $25000 in profits from one account, put on a new metal roof & a major kitchen remodel thus employing a bunch of people and putting money back into the economy all for free! Plus will pay some taxes back to dc to **** off. Winning
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,177 Captain
    Don't understand stock market. Only understand dollars and cents. All my investment money goes into real estate. That I understand and have done better than the average stock. By a mile.

Invested 20k once to a experts stock market recommendation. Lost the whole thing. 

Vacation rental property average 4k a month income 1k overhead including mortgage. Where am I wrong?

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,298 AG
    i think I'm going to buy a lottery ticket. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,783 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:
    not really, did 17.9 on mine, wife's was 17.2%..

winning.
    DANG..Guess I'm gonna have to shake up my Huntin Pard ...Runs 5 offices for Raymond James. He does buy all kinds of neat stuff for the Camp. Got me a new Ranger this year and a Boat coming soon...winning , some...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    cadman said:
    i think I'm going to buy a lottery ticket. 
    I do, bought one from you and didn't win jack
    But back in 2009 I put everything in a large cap fund, one singular and up to 2014 it was left there, now it's split between that and a real estate fund and heading towards ten years it's been going great, of course it was all propped up with our tax dollars so we're just getting our money back
    So go Wall Street, keep surging so we can get some too
    No political signature
  • King_MeKing_Me Posts: 5,243 Admiral
    I'm glad I sold most of my stock holdings back in September!
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    King_Me said:
    Why?
    Now is a buyers market. 
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • King_MeKing_Me Posts: 5,243 Admiral
    King_Me said:
    Why?
    Now is a buyers market. 

Yes it is.  Been buying here and there for the last few weeks.  What will the low be?
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral
    my TA 401k is down 1.83% for the year.   Someone is getting their *** fired VERY soon. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Odd, I thought the tax cuts enacted this year were suppose to drive the market gangbuster style.  It is almost like investments perform independently of tax rate.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 7,566 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    Odd, I thought the tax cuts enacted this year were suppose to drive the market gangbuster style.  It is almost like investments perform independently of tax rate.
    Why are you trying to start a political firestorm here?
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,587 Moderator
    I'm riding along pretty good. Today kinda sucks but my fault..sort of.
    "You'll get your weather"
    dave44 said:
    kellercl said:
    Taxes and finances aren't political.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,049 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    That's why we need another tax cut

/s
    edited November 20 #23
    kellercl said:
    dave44 said:
    kellercl said:
    Taxes and finances aren't political.
    Somebody said if the elections went badly this would happen, hugely. And you included your political view of taxes when you stated it the way you did.
    Only view I included was that the economy operates independently of tax rate.  
    kellercl said:
    Only view I included was that the economy operates independently of tax rate.  
    Riiiight.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,652 Admiral
    I've seen this movie before … 

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    Gardawg said:
    I've seen this movie before … 

Me too.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 4,131 Captain
    But do you remember how it ends?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    But do you remember how it ends?
    I would hate to think I needed to? 
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,770 Admiral
    Where is Bimini Twisted ??  Ill say it for him 

some enjoy rooting against America 
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,052 Admiral
    The stock market is not "the economy".  It is not the job of the Fed, or the purpose of tax cuts to make the stock market go up.  Look around - see all that new construction?  AAPL stock - down from 232 to 178 in last month, but EPS is up 50% year over year, and revenue up 20% yoy.  GDP is up,  Unemployment at record low.

Good economy makes Fed raise interest rates, which is a good thing.  Just not for stock market.  Recent stock market downturn is big players shaking-out small players to scare them into selling what they already sold at higher price.  Can't make money until they book the profit.  Well, they also made money on the way down.  Remember, there are two parties to every trade.

Look at the big green spikes after the big red ones.  That's how they play this game.

Market hate uncertainty. The China trade situation, US elections outcome and scandals, immigration, Korea....

Stocks like AMZN, with P/E of over 150 were bound to fall eventually.  Dragged AAPL down with it.  I think AAPL is a great bet for the eventual bounce.  Q4 is always their strongest.

Also, Oil has beat beaten badly lately - mostly on fears of poor world economy.  However, cheap oil is great for the economy.

Buy the dips and sell the spikes.

Sold half of my SQQQ yesterday.  Thinking there will be a bounce, but not sure if carnage is over.  A poor Black Friday could mean more downside.

Went long on oil yesterday.  UWT.  But just for a short bounce.  Thinking it will drop to 45 in coming weeks.
    23895.gif