Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Short 3 hour trip 9-19

mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,532 Captain
On Wednesday took my boat out for the first time in over a month. Took my wife (the hawk) and our friends, who don’t fish and who are afraid being out on the boat if you don’t see land or if there are waves. Anyway, decided to go to the Chaz area about 2 miles north of the entrance. The water was calm and 89 degrees. It was also hot about 92. We caught some puffers, catfish and porgies. I decided to go further south with more rocks, and went near the honeymoon rock area. My wife caught a nice keeper trout and my friends wife caught a keeper snapper. I had a Porgy out on a flat line, hooked a little in front of the dorsal fun, but whatever it was took half the fish starting from the tail area. Got back at the dock by 2:30. Otherwise, it was a nice day but tiring. BTW, a lot of floating grass. 

Replies

• DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,859 Captain
    Definitely hot !! 
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,606 Captain
    hot water needs to leave, you did well to find that trout
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,532 Captain
    Slacker said:
    hot water needs to leave, you did well to find that trout
    I looked for the sand patches drifted over them. Caught another the same way a month ago. We were using frozen shrimp and artificials. 
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,272 Moderator
    Thanks for the report.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,636 Captain
    You're still new at this Old Guy thing, Mike.  We aren't supposed to fish when it's hot.

Glad that you're feeling better and able to get out.
    edited September 2018 #8
    You're still new at this Old Guy thing, Mike.  We aren't supposed to fish when it's hot.

Thank you: My wife keeps telling me that, I guess I’m ignoring the old guy thing for now. let me know if you want to go with an old guy when it gets cooler. I’ll try and get a young one to go along for the heavy stuff. 😁
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 235 Deckhand

Thank you: My wife keeps telling me that, I guess I’m ignoring the old guy thing for now. let me know if you want to go with an old guy when it gets cooler. I’ll try and get a young one to go along for the heavy stuff. 😁
    I am still new to the site. Can someone put definitions on "old guy" and " young one" ?  

I swear I remember thinking 35 was middle aged. Now my grandson is almost there. LOL
    edited September 2018 #10
    OK, I'll try to keep it simple. ;)

While old is a state of mind, things change as we age. The rate varies among different people depending upon your genetics and general physical health. But even if you're in good shape, around 65 things start to change fast.  You can't lift things like you used to. You start to get aches and pains in all sorts of places. You don't see as well.  And you start to get tired, even when doing things that you like to do such as fishing. 

There are mental changes also. You don't care as much about what people think or say about you. That is unless you turn into an Old ****, which is another story. You start to call your shots more carefully to increase your probability of success at things. You realize that there is no point in suffering anymore that you are doing anyway on a day to day basis.

So you stop changing your own oil, bring your boat and engine into a shop for service, and let somebody else work on your sprinkler system when it goes down.

And you stop fishing when it's too hot and the fishing sucks anyway.

So are you there yet, Harry?
    edited September 2018 #11
     I’m not totally an old guy yet, mentally that is. But getting there 😂
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
     :D 
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,740 Captain
     around 65 things start to change fast.  

You don't care as much about what people think or say about you. 
    So you turned 65 thirty years ago?

Billy
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
    Thirty years ago I didn't even acknowledge that other people existed.  But somewhere between then and now I became more sensitive. But when I turned 65, I sort of went back to the way I was before. ;)

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,608 Admiral
    I'm fixin to turn 63 and trying to retire as fast as I can before everything becomes ...Too much work..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,343 AG
    my filter has gotten thinner...

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    You're not even old yet, Art. You have potential to be a great Old ****. :)

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,194 Officer
    OK Lee...... sounds like you're spending way too much time in front of the mirror. LOL

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 235 Deckhand
    OK, I'll try to keep it simple. ;)

While old is a state of mind, things change as we age. The rate varies among different people depending upon your genetics and general physical health. But even if you're in good shape, around 65 things start to change fast.  You can't lift things like you used to. You start to get aches and pains in all sorts of places. You don't see as well.  And you start to get tired, even when doing things that you like to do such as fishing. 

There are mental changes also. You don't care as much about what people think or say about you. That is unless you turn into an Old ****, which is another story. You start to call your shots more carefully to increase your probability of success at things. You realize that there is no point in suffering anymore that you are doing anyway on a day to day basis.

So you stop changing your own oil, bring your boat and engine into a shop for service, and let somebody else work on your sprinkler system when it goes down.

And you stop fishing when it's too hot and the fishing sucks anyway.

So are you there yet, Harry?
    Since I recognize EVERY SINGLE ONE of those, I guess I qualify.  Only time I think I am a "young one" is when i am flirting with the mature ladies  :D
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    I started falling apart at 50 but I reached 65 last winter and I've got to say, Doc's right on the money with a lot he says about us old gize!! I haven't been fishing in a while, just don't want to deal with the heat!! Hopefully thats fixin to change real soon??
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 1,003 Officer
    Good job on taking the boat out and caught some fish.   Mine sit in the driveway for the last two months because of the heat.
  • livebaitlivebait Posts: 793 Officer
    Doc hit it on the head. At 70, I'm content to fish from sun-up to 10:30. One nice thing though is I now never fish on Saturday or Sunday.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,194 Officer
    edited September 2018 #24
    I guess I don't fit in with the "old guy" thinking. I still try to fish once a week, weather permitting. No trouble launching or retrieving my 22' boat by myself, or landing and gaffing my own fish. I put a 12VDC fan in my T-top electronics box, and that helps in the summer. Sure I get a little sore after a day on the water, but that happens when I stay home too. I still fish out of my skiff and my kayak too, but I'm only 74. If you really love doing something, grit your teeth and keep doing it.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • SalteyDogSalteyDog Posts: 65 Deckhand

I'll be in Cedar Key the second week of November if anyone has room for one more! I have my own equipment!

Will be in Tampa the week before can make chum and get pilchards!

Bill 515-204-4553 call/text or email..Thanxs