Share Recent Water Quality Observations

13»

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,870 Captain
    Lemon Bay smelled like RT this past weekend to me but I haven't been out there since.  I'll be in the harbor every day for the rest of this week... will report back.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 175 Deckhand
    Good luck to you. Hoping to get out but not sure what to chase yet
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 596 Officer
    Any info out of Venice or Sarasota? Going to try and run offshore this Friday.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • sixstring09sixstring09 Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Fished south Lemon Bay yesterday. Departed Ainger Creek and headed to Tom Adams. Water dark and smelly once I hit the channel. Tried some past trusty trout grass flats up to a mile north of bridge and no sign of life. Fished the bridge for a bit and skunked. Headed south and fished 21 to 17a on both sides and water was clear on the incoming but no bites on live shrimp high and low, xraps and terror eyz. Fished the alley and docks north and same story. Headed down to the trestle and got a sheep and mang before the storm got close and called it quits. Definitely patches of dark and smelly and then clear and fine. First time out in a long time but had fun nonetheless. 
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,123 Admiral
    Trout got hammered harder then just about any other fish this past year with the red tide. I wouldn't even bother with them at this point.
    Unfortunately this is starting to look last winter when the red tide never left. Fourteen months straight and counting......... 
  • tjensentjensen Posts: 115 Deckhand
    The dolphins were having their Tgiving feasts on Jacks in the upper part of Lemon Bay today. The bait the Jacks were feeding on looks a lot like white bucktails apparently. My arm is sore from the fun, and we're having ribeye's for dinner.
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 596 Officer
    Water around the Venice jetty was pretty clear. from 1-12ish miles it was brown with lots of dead fish, out beyond 70' deep it turned pretty clear and blue.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 175 Deckhand
    Heard there was a red tide smell around Useppa so i decided against Cayo Costa yesterday. Instead ran down the river to Picnic Island. Water quality was stained but clean. Could see bottom in 3-4ft. Lots of dolphins around too
  • nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 266 Deckhand
    20181125 - Venice Inlet horrible looking water out to about 20 miles. Tried to get bait at 9 miles, nothing. Went out to 20 miles and caught a few sand perch and 3 or so pinfish. Based upon bait, cancelled our planned trip to 180' and fished South of Bayronto. Fishing was mediocre.
    I heard Englewood beach has big fish kill right now.  I live close to there, across the street from Lemon Bay but closer to Manasota Beach... smelled like RT/dead fish outside my house last night.  
  • dodger31dodger31 Posts: 171 Deckhand
    Dead dolphin washed up in Naples!  Not good people.  Keith your prediction a while back is coming true!

Also a strong concentration of red tide all up and down the East coast.  Is that common?
    dodger31 said:
    Dead dolphin washed up in Naples!  Not good people.  Keith your prediction a while back is coming true!

Also a strong concentration of red tide all up and down the East coast.  Is that common?
    I wish it wasn't true.  Hopefully it goes away soon after this cold snap.

No, East coast red tide isn't very common, but it has happened from time to time.
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 648 Officer
    I've read recently that red tide will not die until water temperatures get below 50 degrees. That's great, another snook kill. I'm confident that they will one day figure out how to kill it??. 

My question is, is the red tide cleaning up the environment in the long run. It's been happening for centuries. I wish it would go away as much as everyone. I really don't even want to go fishing anymore. 
    I fished 2 times since July. Normally I'm out 3 times a week.

It just sucks that our precious resource is being beaten up really bad right now.

• TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 587 Officer
    Just checked the FWC red tide map and it doesn't show any on the East Coast....really hate it, used to love coming to Siesta Key, Little Gasparilla, fell sorry for all the guides.  What's sad is the House of the Sun condo used to have a live beach cam....they disconnected it or took it down because all you would see is an empty beach....hopefully they will find a solution.  Was on the East coast the end of September and a week after we left it hit there too...
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,028 Captain
    I have friends who live on Lemon Bay, they both are suffering with respiratory problems.
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 106 Deckhand
    Trout got hammered harder then just about any other fish this past year with the red tide. I wouldn't even bother with them at this point.

I live in Naples, but fished PIS regularly last spring. I caught new PB trout three days in a row in PIS, the last one measuring 26.25. A couple weeks later thousands of over slot trout washed up on the beaches of Naples after a north wind blew. We don't get many over slots down here, so my guess is they drifted down from the PIS vicinity. It was sickening seeing all those specks wasted.
    I agree. It is sickening
    I heard 19 dolphins washed up in Naples this week.
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 556 Officer
    Apparently 36 in Lee county this week! Thankfully it isn't coming inshore right around me at the moment, but it's out there. Waiting for it to warm up a bit before heading out again to check conditions.
    Got out there yesterday afternoon, water was very milky from the north end of FMB up to Captiva on the gulf side, but I didn't see any signs of red tide within a mile or 2 of shore. 
  • nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 266 Deckhand
    Moved boats around on Sunday 12/2/2018. Went from Venice North bridge, down to Snake Island and back. It was not nice, lots of dead fish smell and red tide throat.
    Yep... nasty in/around Venice today.
    Saw that nasty spider web like brown film on the surface again last night and could pick up a smell of dead fish in the wind at the Sanibel lighthouse. 
13»