Share Recent Water Quality Observations

Replies

• Garage DogGarage Dog Posts: 157 Deckhand
    Driving on and off Boca Grande this morning the water was better, but not great. I got caught at the swing bridge coming off and did see 2 dolphins swimming near the bridge. Haven't seen that in months! There did appear to be a few birds and some bait fish around.
  • ez3puttez3putt Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    We have family from out of state down for the week.  Went out Sunday 10/14 at 4:30 pm mostly on a scouting mission.  Water is still murky from the Palm Island ferry to Stump Pass, but no noticeable evidence of Red Tide.  Stopped at one of my go to spots, and bait was everywhere.  Naturally, I did not have my cast net.  I foul hooked a greenback and put it under a popping cork for my SIL and she immediately caught a twenty inch Snook.  We got several ladies and jacks,mostly on gold spoons, but no more targeted species.  We also had two Manatee hanging around the boat the whole time we were there.

We we went back to the same spot yesterday morning with the cast net and not a baitfish to be seen anywhere.  We did manage a few jacks on live shrimp and one keeper mango.  OB issues forced us in early, but the water is still murky, but fishable.
    We have been out everyday this week.  Water is still off color, but getting better each day.  We have fished from Stump Pass to Cabbage Key and have seen no evidence of Red Tide and not one dead fish.  I ran into Captain Greg Penix the last two days and he loaded our live well with bait.  The Snook bite has been pretty good along with Mangos and small grouper.  We have not caught a single trout or red this week.
  • stoutnerstoutner Posts: 242 Deckhand
    Last weekend offshore out of Stump Pass the water was crappy coffee Brown until about 10 or 11 miles out. Then it started to clear but patches of Yellow crappy water was scattered from about 10-12 miles out. After that, the water was great. Did see one half dead Puffer fish about 10 - 11 miles out kind of floating and dying. Also noticed lips and skin burning just a little when we were in the intra-coastal just South of Stump Pass.

Fish 25 Miles out in 80 fow and fishing was good. Water was good. Trolled up a few Bonita, landed a bunch of Grouper and Snapper and other fish. Had a Kingfish bite us off and jump out of the water like a missile. 
    Capt. Wayne Stoutner
    Reel Stout Sportfishing
    Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout fishing
    www.reelstout.com
    Tikitown!
    SW Florida Vacation Rental
    https://www.vrbo.com/721414
    Water clarity is definitely improving!  Yesterday my SIL dropped his keys into the water at Cape Haze marina.  The water was 6.5 feet deep and he was able to see them and retrieve them with my 7’ rod with a gold spoon tied to it.

Snook bite is still on and lots of small bait fish being chased by jacks and ladies in Gasparilla Sound.  Even saw a couple of Tarpon chasing bait.
  • dodger31dodger31 Posts: 171 Deckhand
    Fished Estero Bay Sunday.  Went to find some bait by Big Hickory Restaurant Bridge. (forgot that passes name)
    The water quality was the clearest I've seen there in many years!  Could see 6+ feet down under the bridge.
    Fishing was kinda lousy but wildlife everywhere.  Caught a few keeper mangroves in Big Carlos Pass.  A few short mangos and sheeps in close to mangroves.
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,050 Captain
    edited October 2018 #38
    Fished the Bull/Turtle Bay/Widden Creek area on 10/24 did very well.  Water clear. Plenty of activity.  One of many of various sizes.  This guy quickly released but we did get a few decent trout for the frying pan.
  • andyfboydandyfboyd Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    I fished near Charlotte Harbor, near two pines, on Sunday (10/28).  The water was really brown but I think that is normal this time of year.  We didn't catch any trout but saw lady fish, a lot of mullet jumping, and birds.  
  • sixstring09sixstring09 Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    Last tuesday and thursday i boated the ICW from venice to the Boca bridge. Didn't fish. The water quality was brown and one patch of smell and dead fish around the casperson ferry. Maybe 1/4 mile in size.  Lemon bay had a number of dolphins and commorants and a few pelicans.  talked to 6 boats fishing in lemon bay and the train trestle and all said the fishing was slow. Overall the water wasn't foul smelling. Just in a few spots where there might have been a bay or water upwind.
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 175 Deckhand
    Sunday i was on Bonita Beach. No dead fish but the strong wind off the water had a smell to it. After a couple hours people were starting to cough a little
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,873 Captain
    I posted on here last month about how I thought the red tide will come back for another round of fish kill... sure hope I was wrong but it's not looking good.  FWC reported increased red tide counts on nearly the entire gulf coast last week.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 556 Officer
    I hope it's not a sign of things to come but I saw a lot of dead eels 2-3 miles offshore of Sanibel today, and 1 catfish dying on the surface. Not a ton, but definitely more than a handful of dead wildlife. Water was clear otherwise with lots of bait.
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 648 Officer
    The latest fwc red tide report does not good. High levels from Pinellas to south Sarasota. East Coast looks like it's ready to get whacked soon too.
    I was out again today and saw something very strange. When I got out around 2, the water around Sanibel was gorgeous from the beach out to a mile or 2 out. After fishing the beach for a bit, I decided to run out and try some trolling. I began making my way out from ~25 FOW off Knapp's point headed on a 250 heading. As soon as I hit 30', the water changed colors to a greenish color. As I made it to 35', I began seeing a bright green, almost yellow film under the surface of the water. I realized I had stopped seeing any surface activity and stopped to drop a jig down and check the vis. My jig disappeared almost as soon as it hit the water, no more than 4-6" of visibility. What's strange is I didn't see many dead fish, only a few and some eels along the way. There was no activity at all in the area though, so I headed back to the beaches. By the time I got back to Knapp's (around 4:30) the nasty water had made it's way to the beach and the vis went down to nothing right on the beaches in no time. I took some pictures while running to try and show you guys what I saw out there, hopefully you can make out the film breaking apart behind the boat and the neon green color of the water. I did find some more fish on the beach, but nothing like the last few days. It's definitely not looking good.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,123 Admiral
    The area between 30 and 55 ft off the Lee County coast right now has little to no dissolved oxygen near the bottom. Ask the Stone Crabbers how their doing and you'll find out most of them already understand that their gonna lose money this season. Typical trip for these guys thus far has been between 0 pounds and 40 pounds per day, which is operating at a loss to breaking even.
    This is very disappointing to hear.  Thought things were improving but a couple of members on FS predicted this would happen. 

We vote in less than a week.  

My question is...who is everyone hearing will actually do something about all of this?  Which candidates?  They all say they will make things better...who do we believe?
    Everybody says it's their top priority... the question is who isn't FOS... I think we all know the answer deep down.
  • nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 266 Deckhand
    Was out on Tuesday 10/30/2018 from Venice Inlet. Water quality not good out to about 100'. After that beautiful, cobalt blue water with lots of bait, birds, fish, etc.  Last week same thing, saw a whale shark in 105'.
    A little hint of red tide in Stump Pass today.  Lots of bait off the beach, birds everywhere, mackerel too.  Water was looking a little better but still not good.  No fish kill that I could see.
    Had a great day out of Pineland Sunday.  Beautiful clear water.  Lots of bait pods and birds.  Got some nice threadfins by Broken Islands?  Caught a couple of keeper trout and one sheepshead.  Tons of short trout and mangroves on shrimp.

Any tips for catching the bigger trout?  We tried the threadfins on a jig head but no go.
    Bigger Trout have been a little hard to come by lately. They really got hit hard by the Red Tide. In my opinion hit much harder than Snook or Reds.
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,050 Captain
    Put in at the Venice train station and went out of Venice inlet this morning.  Water brown everywhere but no red tide smell.  Plenty of long dead bait fish at about 3 miles.  Went as far as M16 still in brown water.  Came back in and trolled the beach to the Venice Pier.  Nothing but lots of bait etc was  displaying on the depth finder close in.  An almost total absence of crab traps.  Disappointing.
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 111 Deckhand
    edited November 2018 #54
    Was at Boca Grande on Thursday. Water was a little tinged. Nobody fishing the pass and only a couple of shore fishermen. The only sign of life that I saw was a couple of manatee swim by. 
    Can smell it last night and this AM deep into Lemon Bay.

Late last night we noticed a film on Charlotte Harbor that was very red-tide'ish.
    Water looked good this morning, however there were a few big gags and eels dead right off the Sanibel lighthouse. They looked pretty fresh too.
  • E.R. A/CE.R. A/C Posts: 103 Deckhand
    We went out of Venice Inlet on 11/10. Dead fish from inlet to about 6 miles offshore, water was nasty red color and smelled. Water didn’t clear till past 10 miles offshore. Not looking good

• mannn123mannn123 Posts: 126 Deckhand
    Southwest off of Sanibel on 11/10 out to 25 miles.  Bait was abundant off the beaches and no sign of red tide. Threadfins lived great in the well all day so I can't imagine we ran through any red tide.  Lots of surface activity all of the way out.  Grouper bite in 65 ft. was decent.... not great, but not bad.  Took some live shrimp really just to see what else was on the reefs in those depths after all of the red tide.  Snapper bite was on fire with real nice size mangroves and good assortment of lanes, porgies, etc.  Every spot seemed pretty loaded with fish in 55'-70'.  Most of the grouper/snapper were pretty full of crabs, shrimp, etc. when cleaned so they appear to be feeding.

• sixstring09sixstring09 Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    Walked out on venice pier today and water was clear. Was able to see bottom all the way to the end. The north facing pilings had a lot of keeper sheepshead picking at the barnacles. I'm going to boat around and fish the south side of lemon bay tomorrow.
    Drove down to check on our fish camp Monday afternoon.  I noticed no indication of red tide from our balcony, but it has to be pretty bad to affect me.  I took the boat out of Cape Haze marina yesterday morning and the bottom was easily visible at six feet in the marina basin.  I went north to Stump Pass and never saw any dead fish.  The water in ski alley was very clear as was along the beach from Stump Pass to Don Pedro.  

On the way back inside, I stopped to throw some plastics.  Absolutely nothing at a couple of my "go to" trout spots, but I did stumble on a school of rat reds.  I picked up two 17" reds, a 20" snook and half a dozen jacks on a Z-Man Minnow in new penny color.  I tried a Spook Jr. for a while and was getting hit on almost every cast, but since I switched to single hooks on the Spooks, I do not get nearly as many hookups.

The water was very clear and I really enjoyed watching schools of Sheepshead, Jacks, Snook, and Reds swim by the boat.  
    Matlacha Pass was closed to shellfish harvest this morning due to Red Tide concetrations