Share Recent Water Quality Observations

What and where have you seen related to water quality?  I'm (and I assume others) are trying to plan time on the water.  Thanks in advance.

John

Replies

• backyardhockeybackyardhockey Posts: 141 Deckhand
    Naples beaches have been good for about 2 weeks. Snook and tons of birds in the air
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,812 Captain
    Anything within 20 miles of stump pass north or south sucks.  Bad.   Smells like a septic tank.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • wjt03cwjt03c Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    burnt store area in the harbor looks good.
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 549 Officer
    I took a trip up to Treasure island this week and the red tide is terrible in the icw up there, you can smell it all over the island and the canals are thick with dead fish, worse than what I saw in Lee county for sure.
    Still disgusting around Englewood.  Hopefully the E wind we have this week pushes it away... forever.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,079 Admiral
    Blind Pass area is loaded with red tide
  • dodger31dodger31 Posts: 159 Deckhand
    Bonita Beach (Barefoot) over the weekend was pretty decent.  Brownish water but we could breathe just fine!.  No dead fish, plenty of bait and some decent snook cruisin'
    Cswy area is pretty bad tonight
    Lemon Bay didn't stink like septic last night but the water was as dark and cloudy as I've ever seen it.  Saw two dead fish but it was near the ramp so maybe somebody ditched them.
    Last night Naples beach not so good. No stink but plenty of dead fish
  • snipes27snipes27 Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    has anyone been out by the Lover's Key/Big Carlos Pass/New Pass area lately?? 
  • snipes27snipes27 Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    Bump for current conditions you guys are seeing... anything down by lover's key, hickory pass, anything that way??
    Still nasty by me.  Lemon Bay, Stump Pass, Beaches north and south of Stump Pass... at least to Boca and Venice.
    edited October 4 #15
    The recent NOAA map from yesterday shows low amounts South of FM Beach.  I will be in the New Pass/Wiggins area on Sat. (beach) and Sunday (boat) I will post a report Sun. night.

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/hab/gomx_condition.html?region=swfl

• NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 549 Officer
    FMB is clear. The water is getting cleaner by the day and bait is pouring in. The water on the north end of the beach is cleaner than I've seen in a long time.
    That's awesome news!  Thank you NE Salt!
    Fished Barefoot Beach Saturday afternoon and saw greenish, clear water about 15 yards from shore, brown beyond that.  Lots of bait, crabs and birds.  Overall, a lot more life than recent weeks.  Fishing was slow, a few whiting, one small pompano and a jack. 
    Fished in the boat Sunday between Bonita Beach Rd. and Wiggins Pass.  Water was brown but much more clear than recent weeks.  Fishing was slow but managed a couple small trout, and a few ladyfish.  Wiggins pass was loaded with birds (terns) diving for glass minnows? I've never seen so many birds diving in a small area!  Great to see that much life!  Looks like things are starting to perk up!
    Checked out with a group of divers yesterday and they stated that all three reefs they dove were completely void of life. That was at Mary's Reef.
    Anyone think this hurricane will help the conditions?  Maybe stir the water around the gulf and get rid of the coffee water?
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 617 Officer
    I have read so many theories about red tide. I would guess the water will get stirred up and break the high concentrations up. However, many articles state that hurricanes will stir up the nutrients and feed the red tide. I do know that Irma hit last September and the red tide started in October. Many also think that the winter water temp will kill it. Well, we had a pretty cold winter last year and some very high concentrations remained. 
    Yeah, I read HIGH water temps kill it also... lol.  We apparently have a super duper strain that will never die and eventually take over the earth.  RUN!
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 694 Officer
    brown water on out to about 75 ft out of captiva pass. Coming in the pass in the afternoon, it was the clearest water Ive seen in months. Could see bottom in 8+ feet running into captiva pass.  This was encouraging to see. Prob has alot to do with the strong east winds weve had over the last week or so... 

www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,082 Officer
    Well , wonder what the water quality will be after the storm. I'm thinking with all the shuffling up of the water that will help start the up swing in the quality 
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
    New yesterday at Naples pier
    That can't be good for tourism.  Why now when things are getting a little better?
    I could be wrong but I think the department of health is a new entry in this saga
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 169 Deckhand
    Lee County is also running around testing for airborn toxins after the algae is pretty well gone. Day late and a dollar short
    Yep.  That seems about right   :#
  • E.R. A/CE.R. A/C Posts: 94 Greenhorn
    Water looked much better today off Venice. Best I have seen it since early this year. And that’s from shore out to 85 FOW. Hopefully it stays like that.

Water was still murky and grey/brown from Stump Pass to Boca.  No smell though at least.  Ladyfish and catfish everywhere.