Reports of fish kill or Red Tide PSJ?

I have been reading reports on FB that there are fish kills on the beach on Cape San Blas.  Is this true?  Is there red tide in around Pt St Joe?   Heading down 3rd week in Oct. Thanks for any info. 

Replies

• BrzbckBrzbck Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    My Sled
  • SawbonesSawbones Panama CityPosts: 10 Greenhorn
    We scalloped PSJ Saturday, no evidence of any red tide between the city ramp and Black's island.  Went offshore from Panama City last Tuesday out to 12 miles.  Significant fish kill just inside and outside off the pass, didn't see any obvious algae bloom or detect any symptoms.   No evidence offshore or further north inside the bay.
    Thanks Sawbones, sorry for any fish kill, but glad to hear no worries evidence of red tide.  Hope you were successful harvesting scallops. 
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 157 Deckhand
    st. joe bay is in danger! check out todays (9/18/18) episode of panhandle outdoors on youtube. red tide was discussed and it looks as though it has reached mexico beach- basically the mouth of st. joe bay. apparently the freshwater flushing of the rivers which feed bays help to move red tide out. the problem with st. joe bay is there is no river or creek to feed freshwater and flush the system. red tide wiped the scallops in st. joe bay a few years ago, and just this year they seem to be coming back. lets just hope the winds blow the water away from the bay for awhile and keep the red tide from taking hold. fingers crossed-such a beautiful bay.
  • SawbonesSawbones Panama CityPosts: 10 Greenhorn
    Getting more local reports of fish kills along the beaches, FWC detecting moderate levels of red tide algae,https://www.mypanhandle.com/news/dead-fish-cleared-of-shorelines-in-panama-city-beach-red-tide-remains-a-concern/1454949330 .  Offshore and further inshore still ok in PC. Like PDD said, St Joe Bay especially vulnerable d/t lack freshwater flow.  A strong cold front with offshore winds would help, doesn't seem likely anytime soon.
    Thanks for the report, pulled my boat down 10/13 for a week of fishing, but may have to go Appalachiacola Bay instead 
  • dragonfishdragonfish Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Any current updates available on status of red tide in St Joe Bay and the gulf beaches of Cape San Blas?
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 3,878 Moderator
    Mexico Beach Canal....compliments of Resinhead.

." why would someone want to be a moderator in the first place?"

"There is no compensation for that task other than the satisfaction one might get from being an ***."

mindyabizness

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 3,878 Moderator
    edited October 2018 #10
    This was Sunday I think.

." why would someone want to be a moderator in the first place?"

"There is no compensation for that task other than the satisfaction one might get from being an ***."

mindyabizness

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

This was Sunday I think.
    Sad
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Apparently there are spots of red tide. Seems to be moving around? 
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,