Banana River Kayak fishing Winter.

Hi, I'm new to the forum but not the Florida Sportsman which I have subscriber to for years, I am coming over to Florida at Christmas for two weeks,got a boat sorted for the first week,second week I am staying on the Banana river Just North of Patrick an about two miles south of the 1000 islands. I am looking for some advice on the fishing there at that time of year. I will have the use of a few Yaks so hoping to put them to best use and any information would be most helpful,and get you a few beers if you are around that time of year.

Cheers'
   Bill.

Replies

• Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,859 Admin
    Hi Bill,

The Ten Thousand islands is a great area to Kayak and Top water artificials work well in the morning for snook and trout and soft artificial on the bottom for reds and misc work through out the day.   Be sure to monitor the East Region fishing reports for additional local updates.  If the ocean is calm, the beach is also very popular for kayak fishing in that area as there are some nice rock formations close to shore.
    Mark Wilson
    AF1.124213220_sq_thumb_s.jpg
  • Belfast BillBelfast Bill Posts: 54 Greenhorn
    I think we are looking at different places

• bbailey_33bbailey_33 Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    I think we are looking at different places

you are correct unless he meant 1000 islands near 5th st... a once very productive spot, not so much anymore
    Banana has been in decline for a few years.... reality of the situation is quite depressing.
    Any other suggestions for that area would be most welcome.

Thanks'
                Bill.
    Anyone with some advice please.
  • bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 110 Deckhand
    What kind of advice are you looking for? Try starting with a zara spook in the morning and then a 1/8oz jig with DOA paddle tail. Trout, reds, snook, black drum all possible, maybe even a tarpon. I've only heard bad things about the water quality there, but if youre there for xmas, just get out there and fish it anyway
    Hi and thanks' We arrive there on the 29th for a week, just wondering any worthwhile spots to take the kids with the Kayaks, we are on the water at crescent beach area, so if the river is bad we can cross the street and fish the surf, so just looking advice on what running,best baits etc, and if the river is worth fishing where we are staying.
    Looking forward to getting there. 

Cheers
     Bill.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 595 Officer
    What kind of advice are you looking for? Try starting with a zara spook in the morning and then a 1/8oz jig with DOA paddle tail. Trout, reds, snook, black drum all possible, maybe even a tarpon. I've only heard bad things about the water quality there, but if youre there for xmas, just get out there and fish it anyway
    x2.....I use the DOA paddle on 1/8oz jig heads all the time from my kayak.  It works good for snook, reds and trout.  I like the red colored jog heads.
    Thanks, anything running along the beaches at that time? I owe you a Beer.
    Just four week until i'm there, any more advice where might be good for a shot? looking forward to it,just love Florida.

Cheers,
     Bill.
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 298 Deckhand
    There should definitely be some pompano along the beach and also some mackerel and bluefish around that time of year. For the pomps you can buy chicken rigs and use shrimp or sand fleas. The mackerel and bluefish will hit spoons and jigs regularly
    Will the Blues and Mackerel be off the Beach in the Surf? What about using cut bait?

I owe you a Beer when I get there.
    Cheers' Bill.
    Hi any more reports?or tips, I will be there in two weeks and really looking forward to it.
  • jesser_911jesser_911 Tavares Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    You can head north a little bit and try cape canaveral. Ive been fishing the Trident basin and the north jetty and have been doing alright. Im not sure the capabilities of the kayaks you have access to, but you may have to stay inside the port a little bit. 
    Hi and thanks, that will be to far for us as we don't have any way to transport the kayaks that come with the rental property.So looking the  area around 100 islands down to Cresent beach just north of Patrick.