Red Tide Report

2»

Replies

• JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Let us know how you get on!
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 975 Officer
    Gulfport nasty. Fort D pretty clean. If you really want to inshore fish I'd suggest you fish upper bay. Lot's of quality white bait at Fort D pier but the red tide is still very much present. Water quality is crap all throughout the beach. We did alright today running a solid 35 miles and did find reds, snook and trout but don't expect your usual Pinellas spots to be happening. Also, water temp is still 85 on the flats...need another 2 weeks. 
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 988 Officer
    Friday we found reds schooled up, trout schooled up and tarpon schooled up and some big rays. no dolphins or manatees and few birds.  Right on shorelines water was funky brown but clear on the flats. no dead fish around us. 
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 161 Deckhand
    We went out of Pass-a Grille today.  We did not see Red Tide at all but smatterings of dead fish lots of places.  However, not the huge patches of dead fish of a few weeks ago.  There were schools of probably Spanish mackerel along the beach but we did not fish for them.  Things seemed pretty sterile until we got 15 miles out, and there we only caught sand perch.  However, this was our first trip out in this area, and so we are not sure what to expect.
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 161 Deckhand
     Yesterday the stench in Boca Ciega Bay was unbearable. Dead fish everywhere. 
  • dhandsdhands Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Anyone have any kind of update off Clearwater Beach up towards Honeymoon? Trying to go out tomorrow and want to determine the severity before I plan
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,490 Moderator
  • SmoothwaterSmoothwater Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Dropped in at Maximo to do some fishing around the skyway.

Some floaters around Maximo and stinky in the afternoon.

Inside the bay was healthy.  Pulled some undersize gags and reds off some rock piles.  Got mangos up to 15" for dinner.
    Everglades 243
  • JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 256 Deckhand
    edited October 2018 #40
    Went for a walk/fish near siesta key. Water has cleared up. Tons of bait and birds, lots of lady fish. I'm sure there's other things hammering the bait, but the lady fish were thick. 
  • JamesNJamesN Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Was at Honeymoon Island, Three Rooker bar and Anclote Island on Sunday Oct 14th and no signs of redtide,  Bait was on the beaches at honeymoon, Snook, Redfish,trout, flounder, jacks and bluefish all caught.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 988 Officer
    good news. I was up that way pre-storm and saw some patches of funky brownish water in the sound, but also lots of clean water and fish. was not sure how it has been since. Reports show very low concentrations up that way and medium along clearwater beach and,  offshore to the sw - high and high further south of clearwater.
    not so sure i'd eat anything caught there. Kings, Cobia and tripletails oughtta be around too if its clean.
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 975 Officer
    Tierre Verde to John's Pass is a complete dead zone inshore. Stay away...

I netted nice white bait at JP this morning only to be dead in 1 minute in the well. 

I chummed good white bait up at Fort D and it stayed alive most of the day. Not much action at the usual spots water temp is just way too high still. On the flats I saw 85-87 degrees...

We need a cold front. The beach is nasty from JP south to Bunces. It cleans up a bit around Bunces but red tide is definitely still present. No macks off the beach at all...

Cold front please! 
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 689 Officer
    There's really no fishing, boating, or beach activity in manatee county. It's really depressing. No one wants to go out. 
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 689 Officer
    I haven't gone in 6 weeks. I am usually out at least 2 times a week.
  • JohnABJohnAB APOPKAPosts: 198 Deckhand
    I was out around the area of the 40 fathom break on the Gulfstar the weekend and we ran into bad water that killed all the bait in the well.  It was 1-2 hrs from the break back towards the middle grounds.  Back at the dock on Sunday afternoon the water looked bad but I didnt see any dead fish.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 1,312 Officer
    Took a buddy out, who's starting to really get into fishing last saturday.  Pinellas point.  Saw fish bloated and floatin.  Thought red tide had subsided..
    Anyone else?
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,292 Admiral
    I saw a report the other day showing it south of the bay again but there were no dead fish reported.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 1,312 Officer
    Only saw a handful, but there was no question what the cause was.  When we were launching I saw a pelican with a skeleton hanging out it's mouth.  Just figured it was scraps.
    Then saw a sheepshead or drum bloated and skin sloughing off and then it hit me.  The skeleton was much to clean to have been tossed in from a fisherman on the seawall.  Only saw maybe 4 more smaller fish floating up in the mangroves.  So not a lot.  But def red tide.  Around Big/Little Bayou.
    The mangos were biting tho.  Not big guys but lots of action which is necessary for getting someone hooked on fishing ;)
  • shempshemp Posts: 568 Officer
    Spangler I was fishing near there last weekend.  Think the deads are quite old.  Doesn't mean K. brev is not around in elevated concentrations I just don't think the few deads I saw were newer than October. FWIW killed it on jacks and sheeps. Lost one ladyfish and no cats so the trashcan slam was not fulfilled.  Lost one fish with some stamina think it was an upper/overslot red.