Red Tide Report

Yesterday we motored from Tarpon Springs to Pass-a-Grille Pass.  We started seeing red tide about Clearwater, and then pretty much the rest of the way.  At times the stench was almost unbearable.  

Replies

• JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Thanks for the update.

• suprastevesuprasteve Posts: 110 Deckhand
    Ran straight out off north end of AMI yesterday. Lots of dead fish floating out to at least 20 miles (didn't go further). Not strong enough to cause coughing/runny nose/eye burn, hopefully that's a positive sign.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,268 Officer
    That sucks!
    Glad it`s hunting season............
    I was hoping to go for a wade around longboat or sarasota bay early next week but looks like I'm going to have to wait a while
  • MattNMattN Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    It’s now bad all over Pinellas. 
  • ag10sag10s Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    Was out today around Tarpon key.  Dead fish everywhere 😡
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    Ran out past whistler yesterday.  I didn't notice red tide in the channel but there were dead fish until almost the end of the channel.  We tried sabikiing around marker 5. It wasn't red tide but the water just didn't look good.  We didn't get anything untl the last buoy.  Water looked great after we got that far.

We came back a little further north of the channel through pass-a-grille.  The red tide showed up around 7 or 8 miles out and was bad most of the way in.  Dead fish all through pass-a-grille and tierra verde.
  • Eric BEric B Posts: 74 Greenhorn
    Madeira Beach is loaded with dead fish on the inside and out
  • TooLooseTooLoose Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    I fished north Tampa bay last weekend for the IFA tournament. Relatively clean up there, but the redfish died in the well. Never been an issue for me before. We thought we may had run though some red-tide and almost immediately the fish bellied-up.
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 631 Officer
    That just sucks 
  • cortrcortr Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Dead fish way up in Treasure Island
  • RJMurphy4142RJMurphy4142 Posts: 124 Deckhand
    Any reports from the Cortez / Palma Sola area?
  • ericfericf Posts: 445 Deckhand
    Anyone make it offshore the last couple of days?

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
  • TooLooseTooLoose Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Palma Sola/Cortez is a graveyard; at least is was a few weeks ago and I don't think it has gotten much better since.
    Has anybody checked out any beaches lately or Sarasota bay? I keep reading that the red tide levels are still high in most areas.

I have been catching fish in phillippi creek but would like to wade around some beaches or in Sarasota bay. 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,278 AG
    edited September 2018 #17
    I would stay where you are, JKS, and keep fishing.   The water is hot in spots, but from all i've seen and heard, Old Tampa Bay/Safety Harbor remained unscathed.

http://myfwc.com/redtidestatus

From yesterday:

It ain't pretty on the beach from Anclote to Ft Myers, but well inside Tampa Bay, like where you are, and similar areas in Charlotte Harbor have been fine.
    Thanks for the info Tarp
    Just took a drive to kingfish and palma sola ramp. Not one trailer at either. No mullet, bait, or sign of life. Very depressing.
    Yesterday it looked like the red tide had all cleared up on Longboat. At least the part I could see in the middle of the key. 

I stupidly thought that this may have meant it had cleared up further south, so I went for a walk with my rod on the beach on the very south of siesta key. Only saw one fresh dead fish but the water still had a lot of colour. 
  • shempshemp Posts: 506 Officer
    Intended to go for a walk on PAG beach after dinner the other night; made it to the dune crossing, turned around and left.  Felt it in my eyes, nose, throat for a couple hours thereafter.  Haven't had any problems at home (pin. pt) and I have in bad blooms past so I don't think it's as big a problem east of the misner or close to oneills as it is more towards the skyway and beaches. 
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,951 Captain
    FWC report just released and only oranges in pinellas.  Maybe this east wind has blown it out and disbursed it hopefully in deeper water so it can be less concentrated.  A bartender on the beach showed me this and thought it might be helpful.  Not as scientific but the nose knows....

https://www.visitstpeteclearwater.com/current-beach-conditions

In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 126 Deckhand
    Read and vote according to what you read.  

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2018/08/22/dead-in-the-water/
  • Ranger375Ranger375 Bradenton, FLPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Ran off the North End of Anna Maria Island Sunday.  Smell was pretty bad up to about 10 miles out but not an extreme amount of fish kill.  Was too depressing so I turned back around.  Was worse than the weekend before.  The magic number for me has been about 20+ miles before it goes away.

I live on the back side of Palma Sola.... the only thing at my snook lights any more are catfish.  They seemed to survive the kill.  They seem to survive everything.  :-/
    I went for another walk down turtle beach. The water is still really colored, not a bird or fish in sight. 

I did see a lot of mullet jumping on the inside of midnight pass, so that was good to see. 

Hopefully the beach will clear up over October. 
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 215 Deckhand
    Ranger375 said:
    Ran off the North End of Anna Maria Island Sunday.  Smell was pretty bad up to about 10 miles out but not an extreme amount of fish kill.  Was too depressing so I turned back around.  Was worse than the weekend before.  The magic number for me has been about 20+ miles before it goes away.

I live on the back side of Palma Sola.... the only thing at my snook lights any more are catfish.  They seemed to survive the kill.  They seem to survive everything.  :-/
    A couple weeks ago there were dead cats in johns pass.
  • ljb1146ljb1146 SarasotaPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    Fished around the bulk head yesterday, and Terra Ceia.  Bait was easy to get on the bulk head, not huge, but big enough still to use 3/8th net.  Water was still tinted brown, but still able to spot fish.  Snook, trout, jack were all eating well.  Nothing huge, no snook over 25", w a few trout pushing 19".   
    ljb1146 said:
    Fished around the bulk head yesterday, and Terra Ceia.  Bait was easy to get on the bulk head, not huge, but big enough still to use 3/8th net.  Water was still tinted brown, but still able to spot fish.  ISnook, trout, jack were all eating well.  Nothing huge, no snook over 25", w a few trout pushing 19".   

Thats good news. Thanks for the update 
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 580 Officer
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 215 Deckhand
    How is the water around cw pass out to 10 miles or so?
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 126 Deckhand
    We have been riding our bikes around St Pete this week and water in the bay still looks good.   A friend said Treasure Island was clean on Wednesday, for the first time.  Heading out to the Gulf tomorrow, out of Gulfport.