Ground swell?

Tomorrow says 2.8’ @ 14sec. That’s pretty much a ground swell correct or am I missing something?  Planning to take the family out and didn’t want to get hit with unexpected crappy seas

anyone catching anything offshore lately?

Replies

• Grand SlamGrand Slam Posts: 183 Deckhand
    Yes you are right.  It was like that for us last Sunday.  Caught bunch of red snappers.  Couple vermillions.   My friend went out 50 and caught a bunch of big triggerfish and really big beeliners
  • optimistic Angleroptimistic Angler Posts: 601 Officer
    SUNDAY
    South winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet building
    to 4 to 6 feet with occasional seas up to 8 feet in the
    afternoon. Dominant period 15 seconds becoming 5 seconds in the
    afternoon. Inland waters choppy. A chance of showers and
    thunderstorms in the afternoon.

This is what I see for tomorrow. 
  • deadbuckdeadbuck Posts: 54 Greenhorn
    Optimistic Angler I just looked on NOAA and way different then Windfinder. Looks like it’s sandbar Sunday for us...
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,046 Officer

Pretty ruff today.     SANDBAR!

Before you hire Morrocco Madness,  Please understand he is a crazy Trump hating liberal.

• StayinLazyStayinLazy Posts: 466 Deckhand
    Looking ahead to thursday and friday next week its looking pretty decent.  light wind and a good wave period.  keep your eyes peeled
  • cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 150 Deckhand
    Good to hear. Want to get after the trigs and hopefully whatever else is out deep but this weekend was a washout. 
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.
    Gents, looking for some guidance. NOAA is showing 3-5 w/ocassional 6 this weekend. PredictWind and windy somewhat agree. Then again, 3 weeks ago the forecast was the same and it was like glass. What do you all think is the most accurate forecast for both near and offshore?  Any tips greatly appreciated since I am only a year into fishing here and a total newbie for offshore.  
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,337 Admiral
    I looked at windfinder, and it's only showing 2.6 to 3 feet all weekend, with a 9 to 10 second wave period.....

should just be a lazy swell........

the period between the waves is what you should be looking at.

checkout windfinder.com for winds, wind direction, seas, and wave periods.....very helpful and usually pretty accurate.
    We ended up going to the Sandbar instead of offshore on Sunday. We caught four nice flounder so we ended up fishing anyway
    As sea snake said the intervals are almost more important then the wave heights. 2 foot seas at six second intervals would be way rougher than 3 foot seas at 12 second intervals
    Thanks guys.  Appreciate the guidance and resource. I did get caught in tight swells early in the year and lossened a few dental fillings getting back inside.  Need to try to avoid that.......
  • Drift TideDrift Tide Posts: 158 Deckhand
    As others said, it is the combination of wave height versus interval that matters.  What I have found useful is to divide the interval by the height, which gives a rough ratio of wave length to height.

For example, using Deadbuck's scenario, 2'at 6 secs = 6/2 =3 times (I.e. 3X), and 3' at 12 secs = 12/3 = 4X which is much smoother.

In my experience a ratio of 2X is rough, 3X is definitely fishable, and 4X (which is relativey rare) is a cakewalk.

Be advised that the NOAA buoys give 2 different intervals, the "dominant" interval (DPD) and the "average" interval (APD).  The lower of the two values (usually the APD) is what you should use in the calculation.
    Oh, and be aware that for some reason Windfinder usually reports the DPD (the larger of the two values), so need to look at the buoy data to get the APD for better estimate.
    Thanks Tide. Great rule of thumb to use. My daughter is in from college and wants to get out. Probably give it a shot, use my relatively empty noggin and see what happens. either way, time well spent. I grew up skiff fishing for fluke and trout but the blue water keeps drawing me out. 
    Glad you found it useful.  Right now the Fernandina buoy (NOAA #41112) is showing about 4' at 4 secs = 1X which is very rough, but maybe doable in your size boat.

Also, as others mentioned, an outgoing tide makes it even rougher in the inlet for a couple miles out.

One thing to be aware of in planning your trips thru the inlet is that low tide does not equal no current like it does inshore.

Old Man River has a heluva lot of flow, so just because the tide elevation is at a low (I.e low tide) the current can still be flowing fast out and standing up the waves.

The current doesnt slack till about 2 hours after high or low tides.

You need to look at the Mayport current gauge (SJR9801) which tells you the times of maximim and slack "currents", along with the speed of the currents.

If you compare them to the Mayport tide guage (NOAA #8720211) you will see the substantial offset in times.

Speeds of 1.5 knots are relatively slow, speeds of 3 knots are high and will give you a pucker factor transiting the inlet at those times.

Sorry if too much info, just passing along for what its worth.
     Not too much at all.  Went out yesterday and took it easy since heading out was straight into the waves and sizable swell. Once out it was definitely fishable and the ARS were waiting. Heading in and running with the seas was much better but you are correct- the inlet was stacked up pretty well.  Thanks again
  • StayinLazyStayinLazy Posts: 466 Deckhand
    Nice Genuine