Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Waccasassa River/Bay

Haven't read much on here about about the waccasassa river. That's where I first started fishing the Gulf when I moved here 30 years ago. But switch to offshore fishing . Is the river still navigable and how about the bay and the channel markers? 

Recently bought a 22 foot bay boat and would like to return to the area?

Replies

• swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 321 Deckhand
    Join the fish camp if you fish there. Private ramp and good parking. If Herbert is there he knows the area very well. 
  • roachbusterroachbuster Posts: 553 Officer
    How much is it to join 
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 5,994 Admiral
    I know about the Fish Camp, good people. Wondering how the river has changed and a channel markers in waccasassa Bay
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    Still a free county ramp also
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    The fish camp has a new owner and they are supposed to improve it. I don’t know the new fee, but the old one was just under $1000 per year. People pay that much for hunt camps. The old one had a motel that may remideled. They have RV spots also. 
    edited September 2018 #7
    Appreciate the info. Can someone answer my question about hazards in the river and inside the bay channel markers.

Years ago I read they were removing the channel markers in the bay. I realize it is shallow in the bay. Saw 1.5 ft on my bottom machine on plane between the markers. Has it changed?
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Nope still shallow and dangerous to run on a low tide especially in big boats. Channel is marked fairly well now. Some real bunker buster logs lay submerged in the river too. Gotta be really careful. You could run it in a Bay boat on higher tides I guess but most people with larger rigs just launch at CK.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,348 AG
    airb0at country...

Herbert is good peeps.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 said:
    airb0at country...

Herbert is good peeps.
    So are you saying the the river has changed and not navigable like it was years ago? Not talking about the creeks. Only the river and bay channel?
  • ASaltWeaponASaltWeapon Posts: 65 Deckhand
    River and Bay is still navigable. Channel marker are still there starting at cow creek. Still lots of submerged logs in first half of river, but as long as it not a winter low tide you should be fine.
    the brave may not live forever, but the cowards never live at all!
    Herbert was running the place last I knew and is first class. He probably knows where every rock and hole is, a lot of local knowledge there. You can’t fish winter negative tides with most boats. I have seen no water at some channel markers then. The other times it’s a fun place to stay over night, have a camp fire, cook out, and fish several days. You may like it so much that you buy a airboat and fish the winter. That’s the best fishing there is. 
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    AC Man said:
    Appreciate the info. Can someone answer my question about hazards in the river and inside the bay channel markers.

Years ago I read they were removing the channel markers in the bay. I realize it is shallow in the bay. Saw 1.5 ft on my bottom machine on plane between the markers. Has it changed?
    I ran is several times last year. About the same as it always was. There is a spot that has some rocks that is still not well marked. We always take a side channel. Sorry I can't give any more detail. I will check Google earth and see what I come up with. I know some regulars will probably chime in with better info. So yes, navigable but at lower tides you still have to be careful in a couple areas.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    edited September 2018 #14
    AC what kind of boat are you planning on running, we fish it every year and rarely have any problems in the river or channel. At low tide especially in the winter you will hit bottom in the channel in the bay (mud or oysters) and there are rocks like everyone says in the river but if you stick to the center of the river there is usually no problem. Use caution on low tide of course. Out in the bay there is a lot of solid rock bottom to the south of the river mouth, need to go out to at least marker 13 to turn south unless you are running a jet boat. That is perfect jet boat country for sure.

Edited with corrected heading
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    edited September 2018 #15

Some Wacasassa fish... Go fishing and good luck!
    Tight Lines, Steve

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    I avoid that place, I heard there are rocks there.
    Thanks for the info. I fished there for years with a 115 Merc no power trim and then a new 23 bay boat around 2000 to 2003 and never hit bottom. If it hasn't changed I am good to go. Thanks!
    AC Man said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    airb0at country...

Herbert is good peeps.
    So are you saying the the river has changed and not navigable like it was years ago? Not talking about the creeks. Only the river and bay channel?
    river is good, outside is your choice.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    edited September 2018 #19
    I said North and I meant South, if you venture into Turtle Bay (to the south) it is all oysters and rock. On the North side of the channel it gets shallow and lots of oysters, go slow.
    Tight Lines, Steve

Thanks again, if it is still the same as 25 years ago I'll be fine. Remember a couple treetrunks that would Bob up and down during low tide. I avoided Turtle Bay but the next one south was fine. Forgot the name.

The funny thing is I learned the area with a 115 Merc and no power trim, no electronics or map and never hit anything. At least not with any speed or damage done.Got lucky.

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    AC Man said:
    Thanks again, if it is still the same as 25 years ago I'll be fine. Remember a couple treetrunks that would Bob up and down during low tide. I avoided Turtle Bay but the next one south was fine. Forgot the name.

The funny thing is I learned the area with a 115 Merc and no power trim, no electronics or map and never hit anything. At least not with any speed or damage done.Got lucky.

Very likely...
    It is one of the few last unspoiled places in FL. I hope it never changes.
    Tight Lines, Steve

edited September 2018 #23
    Took a family from Boston (long story) on a boat ride years ago on the river. No rods or reels just a senic trip. They loved it. You forget  the beauty if you are  from Florida. Take it for granted. The only funny thing was my 18 year old showing the other 18 year old his new shotgun when we got home. The kid freaked out. Said he he had never seen a gun in person. Sad really. That's The North East for you.
  • jonparkisjonparkis DallasPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    I gues it's nice area to fishing :) Want to try it out.
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 1,003 Officer
    Sadly a lot of palm tree on the lower part of the river past the island. died because of global warming.  Salt water rise killed them..  When I first fished the river 14 years ago the river was lined with beautiful palm trees.  Not now the lower part is lined with palm tree with no tops.  Still one of my favorite places for a boat ride.
  • MichimanMichiman Posts: 67 Deckhand
    Global warming??? More like heart-of-palm poaching.
    Michiman said:
    Global warming??? More like heart-of-palm poaching.
    salt water intrusion killed them, heart of palm is only taken from small trees, true southerns know this..
    You, however do not.
  • MichimanMichiman Posts: 67 Deckhand
    Ok, 'true southern', educate this transplant. How does salt water intrusion kill something that grows in salt water?
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,636 Captain
    Palms are salt tolerant, which means that they can survive short periods of flooding and also live near the coast where the water in the soil can be brackish.  But they can't live with their roots in real saltwater the way that mangroves can.

Saltwater intrusion has been well documented along the west coast of Florida. It's the result of increasing sea level and reduced flow of freshwater.

You can click on the "show historical imagery"  tool in Google Earth and use the time slider to watch the palms die off near the coast end of rivers.  You can also see some islands such as the Bird Keys off of the St. Martins Keys disappear. If you know what to look for, you can also see mangroves invading marsh grass areas over time.
    Michiman said:
    Ok, 'true southern', educate this transplant. How does salt water intrusion kill something that grows in salt water?
    Doc did well, now open your eyes and look at the cedars and oaks dying well up the river.

and again, only 6-8' palms (trunk) make good cabbage..
    Anything much over that is a waste and tough...