New mercury 200 on 189

lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 92 Greenhorn
 I know guys like the 3.0 150 Mercury on these hulls. Has anyone added a few more pounds to go to the new 175/200/225 motor? 

Replies

• ChonggChongg Posts: 486 Deckhand
    edited September 14 #2
    Is the 189 rated for a 200? That would be one fast a s s boat.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,313 Officer
    A Yamaha F-150 weighs 478 the new Mercury 175 Four stroke weighs 475 lbs. They don't make a 150 yet in the new models only 175 -300 hp. No problem will be a little **** heavy but would run great.
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 199 Deckhand
    I beleive the 189 is rated for a max of 175 HP. If you went with a 200 or more you might have issues with your insurance company if there was a claim that was speed or structure related
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • Captain BackyardCaptain Backyard Posts: 432 Deckhand
    The Yamaha 175 VMAX SHO (4 stroke) is only 5 pounds heavier than the Merc 175 4 stroke.
  • SpookSpook Posts: 138 Deckhand
    There is one 18,9' Egret I know of that has a Mercury 250 XS on it.  There is a little squat but not as bad as you would think and that is with a six inch Jack Plate.  It does run well.

• Captain BackyardCaptain Backyard Posts: 432 Deckhand
    Didn't it also have some transom work done to accommodate that HP and a step added on the hull for high speed performance?   
  • SpookSpook Posts: 138 Deckhand
    Didn't it also have some transom work done to accommodate that HP and a step added on the hull for high speed performance?   
    The transom was overbuilt during a repair job, and a pad, similar to what is on the 21 Egret was added.  
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,027 Officer
    Since the 189 is rated for a max of 175 hp. There was one like that I remember that we did not install the motor on the boat. We sold the hull rigged for whatever the manufacturer of the outboard the customer wanted. Similar to what we would do for the fishing guides.