9/13/18 September tarpon fishing on fire in Islamorada!

September has been stellar for tarpon fishing in Islamorada.  Everglades national park has been absolutely loaded with small and medium size tarpon... A fair bit of northeasterly wind early in the month seemed to set up an early fall feel.  This often triggers the 'fall bait run' where we get tons of tarpon, snook, and other predators following the big schools of batifish down the coast as it cools off further north.  While it only lasted a week or so and the big schools of bait weren't really here, the fish definitely seemed to think it was starting.   We've had some fantastic days catching tarpon, with several days landing multiple fish per angler.  The other day we caught 7 with two new customers Ralph and Greg.  Yesterday we released 4, and today out fishing for fun with my father and a couple of his friends we landed 6 tarpon.  Of course we are catch and release with all tarpon, and only pick up fish under 40 inches for a quick picture and a healthy release.  Today we were also rewarded with a huge snook close to 20 lbs, and about a 25 lb bull redfish!  The weather has gotten slick calm and there is lots of pretty water in the bay which usually can lead to come fantastic fishing.  The fall is my favorite time to fish in the Keys as it's slower with business so you really have the place to yourself.  And as mentioned we get some very good windows of fishing during the 'fall bait run.'  It usually starts really going off in October, but as I've said so far September has had some really good fishing.  As of now the conditions look to be great through the weekend and pretty good next week though we will have a little wind kicking up but it should be out of the east which is a good thing.  If you are looking to get out after tarpon, now is a fantastic time so don't think you've missed out on the season.  Check out my blog for daily updated fishing reports.

Capt. Rick Stanczyk
Instagram: @richardstanczyk
Facebook: Islamorada Tarpon Fishing

Florida Keys Fishing
Florida Keys Fishing Reports
Bud n' Mary's Fishing Marina
since 1944!