Lets talk flounder! and flounder reports.

Ok,  its getting time for the flounder to move out of the river, and i am excited about it.   I went to Huguenot park on Sunday and threw my typical gulps with and without spinners and caught a big fat zero!    I fish for flounder from the bank since my boat is more suited for offshore and to much for anything but the river.   I only typically get to fish one day a week so i cannot keep up with the migration and it is always hit or miss for me it it seems.   Please use this thread to post reports on flounder and what area of the River they were caught.    I do not think anyone expects guys to share honeyholes, but it would be cool to at least know where in the river people are having success.    

I talked to a guy who said he caught 4 decent flounder in Nassau sound on Sunday, i got the big goose egg on sunday.

Lastly,   does everyone fish live bait only in the Fall for Flounder?   I usually do ok with grubs and gulps, and spinnerbaits on Flounder, but the last few trips it has been very slow for me.   I may have to start relying on the cast net,  any thoughts appreciated.   

Oh, yeh,  i got the new Lews Custom inshore casting reel this week.   I have caught nothing but bass in the local pond with it, but WOW, it is a nice reel.   Throws a mile and 20 pounds of drag, "which i will never need".   The dang thing is super low profile and only weighs 6 ounces.  Not advertising for Lews, but it is such a nice reel i had to mention it.  So far i highly recommend it if you are in the market.   

Replies

• Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,511 Captain
    The Flounder Pounder is coming up soon, so people might be a little quiet....

I throw Lews too, and love them.
  • wally910wally910 Posts: 235 Deckhand
    I’ve heard it has been slow so far. I’m supposed o go Sunday and will post an update.
  • Bigfish5Bigfish5 Posts: 209 Deckhand
    i hope to go sunday also and will post a report.   Thinking of fishing the Nassau sound area by foot.   
  • ebirkittebirkitt Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Went to Nassau Sound last week and got four flounder. They were small but keepers in the 13"+ range but they sure ate good. Fishing mud minnows around the docks.
  • 79507950 Posts: 268 Deckhand
    Bigfish5 said:
    i hope to go sunday also and will post a report.   Thinking of fishing the Nassau sound area by foot.   
    You need to come fish with the mayor. The flounder bite been good at high tide. Last week the tide was pretty much outgoing so it didn't work out in my favor but I catch 2 when the tide started to slow down. Heading to the bridge in the morning. Low tide at 9am at Nassau so it will be incoming tide fishing. If you walking by foot, might as well walk up to the bridge. I been catching them on finger mullet. Plenty of mullet on the bridge.
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,511 Captain
    I went yesterday to target flounder, and nothing. Started at Sis Creek area, and systematically hit spots all the way to the Mathews bridge. Used live mullet and soft plastics.
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,778 Captain
    Flounder fishing hasn't been very good in Mayport. I'm getting some but it's about as slow going as I've seen here. We usually get a lot of good fish all Summer long in waves coming into the river. This year, The fish are scarce. Granted I haven't been targeting them exclusively as of yet but, it's really unusual to not be picking up good numbers of fish in the river this far into the season. I went out to Vilano and found some good ones around the Anastasia rocks and the old Vilano Bridge debris. Far as St. Johns River area, Zippo. We picked off some good fish in Nassau a few weeks ago but I haven't been back that direction since.
    These were from Vilano last week. Not a lot of Flounder but 1 around 7 pounds.

Went to St Augustine this weekend and caught 10 or so small ones, 8 of which were legal, but none bigger than 14".
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,185 Admiral
    The water salinity,  tells you all you need to know......tons of fresh water being washed right out of the inlet, certainly plays a big part......last year this time Mangos were thick too.

We caught nice flounder offshore during the snapper weekends......12 miles out.

just sayin'.....
  • HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Do you just fish the bridge or docks?  How deep of water?
    7950 said:
    Bigfish5 said:
    You need to come fish with the mayor. The flounder bite been good at high tide. Last week the tide was pretty much outgoing so it didn't work out in my favor but I catch 2 when the tide started to slow down. Heading to the bridge in the morning. Low tide at 9am at Nassau so it will be incoming tide fishing. If you walking by foot, might as well walk up to the bridge. I been catching them on finger mullet. Plenty of mullet on the bridge.

Hello Mayor,  I am interested.   I have caught a lot of flounder, but you seem to have them dialed in very nice.   I have a question though.   How do you get the flounder from the water up onto the bridge.  Do you use a pier net?         I may pm you to see when you are going to go again.

Dane
    Do you just fish the bridge or docks?  How deep of wate
    I usually wade around and hit flats and docks.   did not have much luck on my last trip, but i may need to go to live bait instead of gulps, but i like to cast and cover a lot of ground.  
    These were from Vilano last week. Not a lot of Flounder but 1 around 7 pounds.

I would be happy only catching one flounder if it weighed 7 pounds :).    Talking about the water salinity.   Are you saying that you think the fish have already headed offshore?    I know they are still up the river to some extent.   guy was saying he caught some up around orange park a few days ago.   
  • JmacjjsJmacjjs Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I'm seeing a lot of them in the creeks between JTB and the river.  Most of the ones I've caught in the creeks are in the 14" - 18" range.  A molting 4" gulp shrimp has done the best for me followed by a white curly tail gulp.
    Sea Snake said:
    The water salinity,  tells you all you need to know......tons of fresh water being washed right out of the inlet, certainly plays a big part......last year this time Mangos were thick too.

We caught nice flounder offshore during the snapper weekends......12 miles out.

just sayin'.....
    I've heard the mangrove bite is starting to heat up in St. Augustine. Now I doubt they have the salinity issues that we have in the St. Johns, so maybe there is just something else going on that is causing the bite to be a bit later. I have heard the water temperature has been unusually high so perhaps that is playing a part in it.
    Water temps are definitely higher!  I think it's hanging up the mullet run as well.  I live in Melbourne and we are yet to see the big packs of mullet.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,185 Admiral
    YES WALLY.....shorter inlet to the more salty sea water, so the mangos will definitely show up there usually before us.

The St Johns is dumping fresh water runoff from waaay down river.....just  a couple of weeks ago, I was told the water salinity was in the teens......around Jax, in the river......that's pretty fresh, plus it had been raining almost everyday...

It does have an effect.....hopefully it'll all straighten out pretty soon.....we'll see.
    The Mangos are in Mayport area right now. Starting to catch some nice ones. Bigfish5, I honestly don't know what the story is with the Flounder. I have always found good fish scattered around Mayport this time of year. This year is an oddity for me. Vilano has plenty of them around, Nassau obviously does as well.
    How long do the flounder stick around the St. Augustine/Vilano area?  My wife, my two boys, and I are coming December 6-9.  Boys are young and I would like to get them on some flounder, redfish, trout...
    They're always there but the best time is right now on through November.