Mote to restock snook in SW Florida

Interesting to hear that Mote start restocking when the red tide is gone. Seems expensive to me.

Mote scientists will restock juvenile snook to “specific tidal-creek ‘nurseries’ that would usually be supplied by spawning aggregations hit hard by the bloom.”

It will cost in excess of $440,000 to raise and release 10,000 hatchery-reared juvenile snook along Florida’s southwest coast. If the red tide has gone back out to sea and the coastal waters are considered safe, the juvenile snook will be released beginning in April 2019.

By tagging the 10-month-old juvenile snook with passive integrated transponder (PIT) tags, Mote scientists expect to gain additional information. The snook will be released monthly over a two-year period.

Replies

• lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 648 Officer
    Mote is not for profit. I think they do get some state help. They do some really good things. I think this will help.
    They are the only place that has figured out how to get adult snook to spawn in a controlled environment. Water temperature and depth is critical to snook spawns.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,123 Admiral
    Good stuff, but even if its a success its unfortunately only a tiny drop in the bucket compared to what's needed.
  • winderbillwinderbill Posts: 285 Deckhand
    snook survived vicious red tides in the 1960s (and many since), the brutal freeze of '82 (and several since) long before MOTE figured out how to spawn snook in captivity. I'm thankful for their efforts to bolster the recovery, but far from a fishery saving endeavor 
    Vicious red tide from the 60s, 82 freeze, and so on. Different time man. Way too  many people here now to sustain a fishery if tight limits and closers and not implemented under circumstances like this. The meat guides are a huge problem. 

I know we all need to make a living but this naturally occurring red tide along with the insane amount of people on the water will and is destroying the fishery. It will be interesting to see how many guides have there boats repossessed.

Vicious red tides of the 60s still gets me. I thought it was all the fertilizer and pesticide runoff. With about 15 percent of the population we have now. That's a head scratcher. 
    I know this is a really scary thought, but I think we may need to buy tags for snook and redfish. So many are like if it's legal put it on ice. Others don't even know or care about the regulations. 

I don't know, except for one thing, everyone who cares about this is frustrated and has opinions.

Vicious red tides of the 60s still gets me. I thought it was all the fertilizer and pesticide runoff. With about 15 percent of the population we have now. That's a head scratcher. 
    Red tide of 2006 was worse, look it up! Red tide research didn't receive serious federal $$ until the late 1900s, look it up! Fertilizer doesn't cause red tide, although it's thought to exacerbate it by enriching the nutrient content of the water. Pesticides, as far as I've heard, have nothing to do with red tide. Yes, there's far more people fishing in Florida today.  But in the late 60's to early 70's the bag limit on snook was four with an 18" size limit and no season closures (not to mention rampant gill netting)! So unless there's four or more times as many fisherman keeping 16 times as many 4" slot limit fish, 6 months out of the year, than i suppose you'd have a point ;)

Red tide of 2006 was worse, look it up! Red tide research didn't receive serious federal $$ until the late 1900s, look it up! Fertilizer doesn't cause red tide, although it's thought to exacerbate it by enriching the nutrient content of the water. Pesticides, as far as I've heard, have nothing to do with red tide. Yes, there's far more people fishing in Florida today.  But in the late 60's to early 70's the bag limit on snook was four with an 18" size limit and no season closures (not to mention rampant gill netting)! So unless there's four or more times as many fisherman keeping 16 times as many 4" slot limit fish, 6 months out of the year, than i suppose you'd have a point ;)
    Ya know that's a good point. The slot used to be 18 inches, so let's go back to that. The first idiot that catches the 20 incher will put it in the cooler. So let's say the bag limit will be one instead of 4 since there are 4 times as many fisherman. The quality fish that are needed for the future will be better off. As long as the regulations are followed, that 30 incher must be released if the 20 incher is in the box. As long as the poachers stop poaching. But that will go on forever.
    This will **** so many people off but oh well. We need way more fwc officers on the water. Mullet fisherman buzzing clearly marked slow zones, gill netting still goes on, people  ( I won't call them fisherman) could care less about rules, regulations, fish, environment, or anyone but themselves.

If you get a chance read the fwc reports. It will blow your mind. 9 inch red grouper, 18 snook over the limit and out of slot and closed season. 4 over slot redfish. And this is just who gets caught. I have probably fished close to a 1000 times over the last 8 years when got into flats fishing. Been checked 5 times. 

I would like to see some type of tag system. Maybe $5 for redfish, $10 for snook. In a perfect world this money would all go towards fwc officers and boats. But the world ain't perfect.

Rant over
  • mannn123mannn123 Posts: 127 Deckhand
     Yes, there's far more people fishing in Florida today.  But in the late 60's to early 70's the bag limit on snook was four with an 18" size limit and no season closures (not to mention rampant gill netting)! So unless there's four or more times as many fisherman keeping 16 times as many 4" slot limit fish, 6 months out of the year, than i suppose you'd have a point ;) 
    Concur.  I am not sure what the historical (60's, 70's and 80's) harvest really looked like, but over last several decades, harvest on gulf coast peaked in 1997 at 149,000 fish.  The total harvest in 2014 on the gulf coast was 47,500 snook.  Yes, there are more people, but there is effectiveness with the current regulations, even with red tide/cold, etc.  Harvest has gone down.

Also, lukkyracer, I agree on enforcement.  However, government is lazy, when people break the rules, we just end up getting more regulations for law abiding anglers.  Therefore, I for one see no issue with better enforcement.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,808 Admiral
    Good stuff, but even if its a success its unfortunately only a tiny drop in the bucket compared to what's needed. 
    I agree.   I'm for a mostly catch and release fishery.  
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,294 Admiral
    This will **** so many people off but oh well. We need way more fwc officers on the water. Mullet fisherman buzzing clearly marked slow zones, gill netting still goes on, people  ( I won't call them fisherman) could care less about rules, regulations, fish, environment, or anyone but themselves.

If you get a chance read the fwc reports. It will blow your mind. 9 inch red grouper, 18 snook over the limit and out of slot and closed season. 4 over slot redfish. And this is just who gets caught. I have probably fished close to a 1000 times over the last 8 years when got into flats fishing. Been checked 5 times. 

I would like to see some type of tag system. Maybe $5 for redfish, $10 for snook. In a perfect world this money would all go towards fwc officers and boats. But the world ain't perfect.

Rant over
    and most of the violations are for recs...lol
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • mannn123mannn123 Posts: 127 Deckhand
    Finfinder said:

It already is a mostly catch and release fishery.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,808 Admiral
    mannn123 said:
    Finfinder said:

It already is a mostly catch and release fishery.
    I know and I'm for it.   :)
    . The slot used to be 18 inches, so let's go back to that.  
    Not slot, 18" minimum SIZE limit. You could keep four fish of ANY size over 18" ...so not to wear this out, I submit that FAR more snook went home in coolers back in the "old days" than do today even with twice the fishing pressure
    Maybe so. Twice the fishing pressure, I think it's much higher than that, but you would know better than me.
    Did you get a decent fillet from an 18 inch snook? Also were monster snook, say 40 inchers as good as the smaller ones. 
    Snook is one of my favorite fish to eat, I just they need another break from harvest.

Fried snook fingers are my favorite. A light breading like Louisiana fry mix, little lemon and tarter is all I need. Plus fresh clean oil is a must.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,294 Admiral
    a 12" red eats far better than a 27" one..

My favorite growing up was a small (12") trout, scaled, headed, butterflied, and fried...
    Like brim...

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    12 inch red. You must have no appetite. 
  • fishonfishon Posts: 953 Officer
    Family of 4,
    16 snook and 40 trout, often. Weekends on Sanibel.
    buckets and buckets of net dipped shrimp and crabs.

Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
    Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
    Live in Lakeland