9/9 P.I.S. - Crazy chain of events, should've stayed home.

I have been  seeing some impressive sized schools of reds in last week or so that have been feeding very aggressively and made up of quality sized healthy fish, snook have been very abundant, been seeing mature tarpon and finding bait. The water had been really clearing up in north p.island sound and I though things were looking better.  Sunday morning was a whole different story as soon as we got into the boat I could smell the red-tide a bit and as we headed out towards the mouth of the river started seeing the dead bait fish lines.  I was very disappointed as my wife and daughter were really looking forward to getting on some big reds, and it has been a while since my 7 year old daughter (who loves to fish) has been fishing in our area due to the water issues and all her activities.  We ran all the way to North Captiva before finding some decent, clean, moving water and I then struggled to find any bait what so ever and after chumming for a good while managed about 10 pin fish that were not very lively. By this time it was around 7:15 and  I could not find any sign of redfish after checking a few different spots that have been holding them recently and we decided to work some structure along the mangroves and my wife and daughter each managed to land two smaller snook maybe 20-22" while tossing the pinfish. Our 8 or so live pins were gone in no time and we decided to go look for some tarpon near a few deeper holes that always hold a few,this is where the day goes haywire. We saw a few free jumpers and my wife had been throwing a baitbuster for a good while without so much as a bump, I had also put a chunck of mullet out on my daughters rig since she doesn't yet have the patience to fish artificial. My wife is still throwing the DOA on the rear deck and I'm at the bow on the trolling motor and all the sudden my daughter gets slammed and drag is going off like crazy. My daughter is using her custom made 6'8" rod and stradic 3000 and can't come close to stopping this fish so my wife who is about mid retrieve without a bump all day sets her rod (really mine) down between her legs for a brief second to  help Madison and sure as **** as soon as she stops the retrieve the bait buster gets hammered by a mature tarpon. Everything happened so fast it was like a blur, I see a huge silver splash break the water behind the boat then my maybe 2 month old Sustain 5000GFI/ Crowder combo slam into the cowl of the outboard. I literally dived toward the back trying to safe it but had no chance as I watched my $500+ combo waking for a few seconds then gone toward deep water. On top of that my daughters fish ended up being a black drum and I smashed my new Samsung Galaxy S9, so in about 20 seconds top we lost a nice tarpon, lost a $500 plus combo, broke my $1000 phone and caught a frickin' black drum. It was not a good day :'(

Replies

• lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 597 Officer
    Oh boy, tough day. At least you have an samsung 9. I still have my 5. My daughter teases me all the time about how old my phone is.  I've told her, if I didn't have to fix all your broken screens I could by myself a new one. In one ear out the other.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,783 Captain
    Lol, you'll be talking about this and laughing in no time.
    Tarpon fishing can be so chaotic sometimes... gotta love it!

PS... think about how that baitbuster was hit and incorporate that into your retrieve ALL the time.  You'll catch a lot more fish that way.  Tarpon anyway.  A lot more.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,556 Moderator
    Good read. Many years ago early 80`s when I first started fishing salt water Mary and i were having a very slow bite  off Ft Myers beach. It was normal to just set the rod down put and butt handle on the deck. As we did when fishing lake Erie perch. I just watched as the rod doubled over and flipped out of the boat and was gone. It was not a very expensive rod and reel.   After that episode rod holders started popping up all over my  boat.
      I bet you will tell that story for years and have a hardy laugh. 
    larrywitt
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,918 Captain
    Fun fun fun...many years ago in the pass we were fighting a tarpon and my fisherman, a full grown man, starts saying "I can't hold it, I can't hold it" and sploosh...there it goes.  One of the captains drives by and I say to him, "Did you see that?  My fisherman dropped my rod!!!!!!  Expletive Expletive".  I get on the radio with a buddy talking about how much a new rig is going to cost my buddy and we are going back and forth busting his [email protected]  

About 30 minutes later that one captain I said something to says, "hey, is this your rod?"  Sure enough, he was fishing and the fish with my rod dragged across his line and he snagged the line.  Pulled it up, fought my fish, landed it, and returned my rod.  Was a 115+ pound tarpon.

My cheapskate buddy was ecstatic he didn't lose $400.  Good cleaning and all was well...

In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 597 Officer
    Fun fun fun...many years ago in the pass we were fighting a tarpon and my fisherman, a full grown man, starts saying "I can't hold it, I can't hold it" and sploosh...there it goes.  One of the captains drives by and I say to him, "Did you see that?  My fisherman dropped my rod!!!!!!  Expletive Expletive".  I get on the radio with a buddy talking about how much a new rig is going to cost my buddy and we are going back and forth busting his [email protected]  

About 30 minutes later that one captain I said something to says, "hey, is this your rod?"  Sure enough, he was fishing and the fish with my rod dragged across his line and he snagged the line.  Pulled it up, fought my fish, landed it, and returned my rod.  Was a 115+ pound tarpon.

My cheapskate buddy was ecstatic he didn't lose $400.  Good cleaning and all was well...

Now that's what you call good luck!!
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 55 Greenhorn
    That stinks about the red tide persisting. I was just about to head up that way to my favorite fishing spot after reading your last post. I guess I will just continue fishing down in the 10k. Sorry about your rig and phone.
  • Belfast BillBelfast Bill Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    Sorry about your misfortune, but your fishing in lovely Florida Gods country and I'm at work in England,soon to be over there giving it a go.Hopefully you can get a cheap fix on your phone. Keep the reports coming.
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 569 Officer
    Thanks fellas, phones and fishing equipment can be replaced, I guess I should be grateful to be able to hop in the boat and go fishing whenever time allows. Hopefully our voices our heard and action is taken to begin to help this water crisis. Anyone been out around north Pine island sound in the last day or two? how is the water? might give it a run tomorrow morning if I can work it into my schedule.

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 798 Officer
    I wouldnt know if i needed to laugh or cry after all of that!!! 
    Jason :USA
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 569 Officer
    1outlaw said:
    I wouldnt know if i needed to laugh or cry after all of that!!! 
    It's all good, I was just taken back how quick it all went down,makes for a good laugh. After paying my deductable for phone insurance and all Verizons b.s. charges a replacement cost me about $350. The  Sustain 5000GFI will be replaced with a Slammer 3 that is on it's way, I have a couple smaller one and love them.