Questios about the Florida fisherman

2»

Replies

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 590 Officer
    JohnAB said:
    BUCHEAD said:
    JohnAB said:
    I can leave my politics at the dock to catch more fish.

Why not throw in the live bait?  I've done several Hubbard's trips and seems like I always have bait stealers.  

Gulfstar was way more enjoyable in my experience.  Have my own sled now so I just have to fight my buddies off the live well.
    Gulfstar is a better boat with far more included amenities and a much smaller number of fishermen.  However, it is also much, much more expensive.  It's out of a lot of peoples' affordability.
    Not so when comparing apples to apples.

Hubbards: 39hr..$369+$45 for meal+ $25 rod rental+$27 3doz pinfish+$60 taxes and fees(fee for booking online)+$10 parking+Fish cleaning and tip (estimate) $75 = $611

Gulfstar:  44hr trip:  All of the above is $605 if you pay $200 deposit by cc and the rest in cash..or $655 if all by cc.  Plus ,in my experience, Hubbards takes longer to get to fishing grounds.  I will say though, the new mates on the Gulfstar can't hold a candle to Will on Hubbards.

Hubbards trip CAN be cheaper..forego the meal plan but you'll still have food costs..bring your own equipment but there still will be costs associated with that..clean the catch yourself and don't tip....and don't book online!

Also, and I may get burned by this, but I've always thought a "fishing coach" should be coaching/helping folks catch fish while the boat was anchored and everyone was fishing.
    Apples to Apples would be Hubbards 44hr trip.  $469 + Tax,  plus all of the other charges you mentioned.  My math says that Hubbards is more than $100 higher than the Gulfstar, for more riding and less fishing.  Just Say'n.
    I see your point and you are correct but I was trying to compare "standard" middle grounds trips.  I  consider Hubbards 44hr trip a specialty trip.
    Ditto here; I was talking "basic trips".  My original point (long time ago and many posts back) was that it is somewhat possible to make the Hubbard's trip more affordable by avoiding some of the optional amenities which are included with Gulfstar.  So instead of saying apples to apples, we should be comparing "Lowest Priced Apple vs Lowest Priced Apple that go to the middle grounds for a couple of days".

One other thing that we've forgotten to mention is that Tarpon Springs is about 15 miles closer to the middle grounds than John's Pass.  That's better for the run out but worse for the drive up (for me), even with most of the work on US19 being finished.
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 957 Officer
    thanks guys. and thanks harbison
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 3,313 Captain
    Both are very good, serious, fishing boats. Which is better is a mater of personal preference. 
    If you prefer to pay one price for everything the Gulfstar would be a good choice. If you would prefer to choose what you want & what you do not want, the Florida Fisherman ll would be the better choice. 
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,040 Officer
    I fished Hubbard's overnight middle ground trips for many years with Will as a mate.  If you let Will know that it is your first trip and ask for advise he will certainly give you advice and help you rig up correctly.  The problem I have seen is that many first timers don't follow the advice given and have their own way of rigging that they want to use.   The results always show back at the dock when they are handing out fish. 
    One last thing, even if you are an experienced fisherman don't expect to catch as many fish as the "regulars" on your first trip.  They have put in a lot of time and know exactly what works depending on the situation, weather, time of day, etc.
    edited October 2018 #36
    Guys, play close attention to what Xaf (Bob) says. He is simply one of the best. Pay close attention to what he and those like him are so willing to share and you too will become 'one of the best'! 
  • YOLOYOLO MiamiPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    Appreciate all the info y’all have provided. It’s been a huge help. 
    edited October 2018 #38
    Thanks!  Always more than willing to share what we know. 
     Never been on the Gulfstar, would love to some day.  One thing to remember as we approach our Winter weather patterns. The Florida Fisherman ll is a 72' long 25' wide catamaran.  This is nothing to it...

• SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 320 Deckhand
    harbison said:
     Never been on the Gulfstar, would love to some day.  One thing to remember as we approach our Winter weather patterns. The Florida Fisherman ll is a 72' long 25' wide catamaran.  This is nothing to it...

Ive been out on the Florida in those conditions.  It looked like that from the pass on out about 10 miles.
    Me too!   Hate it!
    'Nothing to the Florida',  but a lot to me. At 77 & 1/2 crippled I now am forced to watch the weather much closer than even a few years ago.  A couple of years ago I snapped this picture while on a deep-drop trip 150 miles off Madeira Beach, Florida...

We have another deep-drop trip scheduled 11/1/18.  Please say a prayer to the...

for us. 
    Hope to have many on the water pictures of fish seldom seen...

• SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 320 Deckhand
    Wow, that is crazy!  How high were those waves?
    Remember that trip well. Who could forget it ?  Rain & 35+ MPH winds are hard to forget. Not exactly sure how high the waves were, but they were breaking over the top of the boat. I was setting near the stern; had to look up to see the tops of the waves. That big Cat took it well; much better than we did. 

Wanted to record the storm to share. However, shortly after snapping that shot I was forced to move inside. It got really nasty.
    The Florida Fisherman ll is all aluminum. The waves crashing into the side of the boat sounded like a cannon going off.  
    Would love to hear about other rough water experiences.  Please share your memories.   

• JohnABJohnAB APOPKAPosts: 198 Deckhand
    harbison said:

First time I was out on the Gulfstar it was rough enough that I got sick.  First time ever and could fish only half the stops (it was on one of their 24hr trips they no longer offer).  The last time I was on the Florida II it was bad, but not like the pic above.  I had a spot on the stern so I've been on both in rough seas....and I'll take the cat!!!
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 390 Deckhand
    I think my last overnight trip on Hubbards the weather got really ruff on the last night. The seas kept building and building all day. I had a stern spot but had caught a decent amount of fish before the weather/waves got to bad. I took a shower and ate sooner than I normally would and called it quits. I remember the only place you could safely fish was on the stern. The waves were every bit of 8' and possible bigger. There were a few people that kept fishing but the captain called the trip short because of the slow ride back in. I was one of the lucky ones on the way back in because I had the farthest bunk back from the front of the boat. My friend that went with me who until this trip had never been sea sick. His bunk was up towards the front and he got sea sick for the first time in his life. 
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 957 Officer
    wow, , big waves looks like fun
    edited October 2018 #46

"First time I was out on the Gulfstar it was rough enough that I got sick.  First time ever and could fish only half the stops (it was on one of their 24hr trips they no longer offer).  The last time I was on the Florida II it was bad, but not like the pic above.  I had a spot on the stern so I've been on both in rough seas....and I'll take the cat!!!"

Me too! 
    Have never been on he GULFSTAR.  From what I hear She is a serious fishing boat. But smaller than the Florida & not a catamaran. 

Been fishing Central Florida Waters since the late forties. Fished with my parents in a boat just like...

My first experience with a BIG head boat was on the 90' Florida Fisherman l.  (mid seventies)

Then came that BIG CAT... Florida Fisherman ll:

When the weather turns really...

That BIG CAT is hard to beat! 

"I was one of the lucky ones on the way back in because I had the farthest bunk back from the front of the boat."

Then you probably saw me. My bunk is as far back as you can get. It's... 

It's closest to Tammy, and for good reason...

In addition, this is within arm distance of my bunk:

Tammy is a master cook who takes her cooking as seriously as we do our fishing. 
    And, speaking of fishing, trolling can really be productive. 
    TIPS: Try the outriggers, they work really well.
    Watch Ed. He is the best of the best, and is always more than willing to share his vast knowledge:

Never forget the Florida's outriggers... They work well. 

As I was posting the above I got a call from area code 352 (wherever that is) requesting information on...

He was thrilled when I told him about being able to keep a two day limit.  
    Guys & Gals, in no way do I pretend to be an expert. However, I have seen and done a lot of fishing in my 70 years of fishing Central Florida Waters. I love sharing what we in Florida are so fortunate to be part of. If I can be of help in any way please do not hesitate to contact me:
       E. Mail        [email protected]
       Phone        (813) 962-0786

• YOLOYOLO MiamiPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    On average, how many people usually go out on the 39 hour trip? 
    Depends on the time of year and what's open. During Red snapper season the Florida is sold out, 45-50 virtually every trip. The rest the time on average around 30 to 35. Many like to fish the stern; I don't... Too crowded. As you move closer to the front of the boat there is, as a rule, much more room. There are no bad spots. Often I notice many of the regulars who often fish the stern move to the middle or front. Anyone can move anytime to any open spot desired. 
    The Florida has been on dry dock for six weeks, first trip back, 10-19-18, was sold out, but there has been several cancellations. 10-26 is a full moon 44 hour trip. 11-1 is a 63 hour deep drop trip. The 63 hour trips are limited to 18. You can't believer what's out here in 600-1,000 feet of water. After that 5 more 39 hour trips are schedule for the remainder of the year. 
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 390 Deckhand
    I prefer fishing on the bow but always try and get a stern spot just in case of rough weather. It's a pain to fish the bow when the waves a big. On the bow you can cast your pole away from the boat and other lines in the water. Getting away from the crowd does help. 
    Agreed!   Guess they are advantages & disadvantages to both stern and bow.  Really great being able to move around.

• JohnABJohnAB APOPKAPosts: 198 Deckhand
    What I like about the stern spots is your live well is right there...no trips down the side and no moving someones equipment placed on your lid to get your live bait.
    Point well taken.  It's really nice siting on top of you own live well.