Questios about the Florida fisherman

hello guys, thinking about doing the 39 hr trip in october, we've read everything on the website including the frequently ask question section but nothing like hearing it from people that have been on it, all the stern spots are taken till the endof the year, do u catch just as good on the sides, i only have 4/0 reels is that good enough and what lbs test would i need, how about spinning reels, and how many pinfish would be good to get, and would it be worth getting live shrimp, and what fish can we expect to catch in october, and also i"ve heard that on some headboats the crew keeps some of the fish, do they do that here? any other tips and tricks please share as this would be our first trip, have any of u ever calculated how many lbs of fish can u take home. 

thanks guys

Replies

• CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,932 Captain
    See Harbison and John Martin posts on here.  Maybe IM them directly if they don't reply but they seem to always be on these trips.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 206 Deckhand
    If this is your first time and you're on the side of the boat I'd leave the spinning gear at home.

What you catch, if legal, is what you keep.

A 4/0 with 60lb mono should cover most everything.  Hook size depends on bait size.  Bring 4/0, 6/0 and maybe 10/0.  Bring a variety of lead, you never know what the current will be like.  Also leader material, maybe 30, 60 and 80lb flouro.

If you bring pins I'd keep them in a 5 or 7.5 gallon bucket with a good aerator.  My pins died using the water being pumped in on the way out.  Of course that depends on the red tide situation. 
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 913 Officer
    thanks sm, ur pins died in they’re livewell?  were going pay for they’re pinfish and my buddy wants to get live shrimp from them
  • SmoothwaterSmoothwater Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    Try the Gulf Star they include all the live bait
    Not to be a d!ck but they also support sector separation...so personally not a fan.
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 79 Greenhorn
    What is sector separation?
  • SmoothwaterSmoothwater Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    I can leave my politics at the dock to catch more fish.

Why not throw in the live bait?  I've done several Hubbard's trips and seems like I always have bait stealers.  

Gulfstar was way more enjoyable in my experience.  Have my own sled now so I just have to fight my buddies off the live well.
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 79 Greenhorn
    trs912 said:
    What is sector separation?
    Never mind. I looked it up.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 493 Deckhand

Why not throw in the live bait?  I've done several Hubbard's trips and seems like I always have bait stealers.  

Gulfstar was way more enjoyable in my experience.  Have my own sled now so I just have to fight my buddies off the live well.
    Gulfstar is a better boat with far more included amenities and a much smaller number of fishermen.  However, it is also much, much more expensive.  It's out of a lot of peoples' affordability.
  • JamesNJamesN Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I have done several trips with both Hubbard's and  Gulfstar.  Really like the Gulfstar being an all inclusive trip where live bait, fish cleaning, tackle, meals all included for middle grounds trips and catch a lot of fish on both.  As far as Hubbard's most of the stern spots are booked well in advance by their regular club members however I have found that if you go back to website  closer to the trip dates some of the stern spots open up as the regulars do not go on every trip.  As far as rods I would bring 2  or 3 rods if you have them.  A smaller rod with 30 to 40 lb for snapper fishing.  A  4/0 size reel with 50 to 60 for grouper and bigger snapper and if you can get a 6/0  or bigger with 80 to 100 for the AJS.   Also not a bad idea  to have a  spinner  as sometimes you will get pelagics like mahi or cobia up on the surface circling boat.  Also if you like to troll you could bring a rod for that and put out on way out or in between spots as long as open spot on stern even if not your assigned spot.   As far as if you can only get the side of the boat can you catch  alot of fish still the answer is yes.  If you  are an experienced bottom fisherman that knows what doing the sides are often very productive.  The transducer for fish finder is pretty much right under wheelhouse and on other boats like Gulfstar and Yankee Captain a lot of the regulars fish the sides of boat up in bow area.    As far as lbs of fish I have not calculated but several trips have filled a 150 quart cooler with snapper, porgies and grouper and needed a 2nd cooler for AJS.  With the pinfish  we usually bring 2 to 3 dozen per person.   We catch our pinfish on the way to boat in morning and have even seen people catching them there right around the docks.  Hope this helps
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 913 Officer
    thanks guys, thank u james
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 276 Deckhand
      I've done several Hubbard's trips and seems like I always have bait stealers.  

Been my experience as well.
    Some guys put a piece of foam in their well that says "not your bait" or some kind of message.
  • YOLOYOLO MiamiPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    edited September 14 #15
    Hubbard’s or Gulfstar? Why? 39-44-63 hours is a long time to be on the water!! I’ve seen a bunch of videos of Hubbard’s trips & it seems like someone mentioned that all the stern spots are taken by regulars, (which is fine with me) but what I want to know is: do “newbies” get an opportunity to troll? We all pay the same rate so I feel we should all have a chance to catch a tuna,wahoo, or whatever else may bite in the 20+ hours of driving the boat to & from....

Thanks in adavance fir for your replies. 
    YOLO said:
    Hubbard’s or Gulfstar? Why? 39-44-63 hours is a long time to be on the water!! I’ve seen a bunch of videos of Hubbard’s trips & it seems like someone mentioned that all the stern spots are taken by regulars, (which is fine with me) but what I want to know is: do “newbies” get an opportunity to troll? We all pay the same rate so I feel we should all have a chance to catch a tuna,wahoo, or whatever else may bite in the 20+ hours of driving the boat to & from....

Thanks in adavance fir for your replies. 
    Trolling is "organized" by one of the crew.  They try hard to make sure everyone gets their chance to drag baits.  My advice is to be patient with the trolling.  Most trips start out with all of the newbies putting out trolling lines with all the wrong lures on all the wrong lines and tangling the hell out of EVERYONE in the first half hour.  You want to either set your line well away from everyone or set it deep and close to the boat.  At some point, all of the clueless guys give up and go to bed and don't bother trying to troll again; that's when you want to get serious and set up for real.  There WILL be guys who try and troll the wrong lipped plug on braid and cause a 30 minute tangle and then complain about someone cutting their precious line after it has cut into and twisted to hell 3 other peoples' lines.  When you see those guys setting lines out, bring yours in and eat some cake.

The newbies who are worth saving will come up to the experienced guys and politely ask what they are doing wrong and how they can fix it.  They are the ones worth saving.  They rest can be left to flounder.
    One other thing if you really want to get into trolling: timing.  Dragging baits is boring and you need your sleep on these trips.  So maximize your chances by trolling during the best times and sleep during the slow hours.  Drag your baits from 30 minutes before till 30 minutes after sunrise and sunset; those are the times you MUST be dragging your baits.  That's tuna time.  Wahoo eat during the corpuscular period as well.
    I've seen this trolling mess happen on the half day too.

One guy drags a lure from his spinning rod.  Another has a huge Mann's.  I don't know what this other guy was trying to pull, but it was going all over the place.

And this was the same day!  

• tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 276 Deckhand
    I've fished Hubbards overnight trip a lot back in the day. I use to always get a stern spot but generally loved fishing on the bow as long as the waves weren't to big. The bow gives you more space and the ability to cast away from all of the other lines in the water. If it the waves were to big there isn't a better spot to be than on the stern. I would also keep fishing when on the stern while the were pulling up anchor. You'd be surprised how many fish you can catch once most lines were up and the boat was moving forward. 
  • YOLOYOLO MiamiPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    edited September 15 #20
    Most trips start out with all of the newbies putting out trolling lines with all the wrong lures on all the wrong lines and tangling the hell out of EVERYONE in the first half hour.  

When I mentioned “newbies” I was referring to being the 1st time on this boat. 

Appreciate your reply... 
    I was giving you the information you were asking for and some good advice on trolling that boat so you wouldn't have to be one of "those guys".  Take it as you like.
  • JohnABJohnAB APOPKAPosts: 183 Deckhand

Gulfstar is a better boat with far more included amenities and a much smaller number of fishermen.  However, it is also much, much more expensive.  It's out of a lot of peoples' affordability.
    Not so when comparing apples to apples.

Hubbards: 39hr..$369+$45 for meal+ $25 rod rental+$27 3doz pinfish+$60 taxes and fees(fee for booking online)+$10 parking+Fish cleaning and tip (estimate) $75 = $611

Gulfstar:  44hr trip:  All of the above is $605 if you pay $200 deposit by cc and the rest in cash..or $655 if all by cc.  Plus ,in my experience, Hubbards takes longer to get to fishing grounds.  I will say though, the new mates on the Gulfstar can't hold a candle to Will on Hubbards.

Hubbards trip CAN be cheaper..forego the meal plan but you'll still have food costs..bring your own equipment but there still will be costs associated with that..clean the catch yourself and don't tip....and don't book online!

Also, and I may get burned by this, but I've always thought a "fishing coach" should be coaching/helping folks catch fish while the boat was anchored and everyone was fishing.
    I use all of my own equipment, clean my own fish, and wouldn't be caught dead eating the food on the Hubbard's boat.  Does the Gulfstar not charge tax, or did you leave that out?  Just want to know.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 2,872 Captain
    Have been fishing with Hubbard's ever since 1976. Will answer your questions to the best of my ability. 
    "all the stern spots are taken till the endof the year, do u catch just as good on the sides"
    Absolutely! I fished # 5, middle of stern, for years. Got tired of the crowd, switched to # 23 (middle), caught just as many fish as ever. There are NO bad spots. Often I see people fishing the stern move forward for more room. 
    "i only have 4/0 reels is that good enough and what lbs test would i need,"
    4/0 is fine. Suggest one with 40 # test for snapper, and one with 80+ for grouper, AJ's. 
      "how about spinning reels" 
    Not a fan of them myself, but many use them. 
     "how many pinfish would be good to get,"
    Advise 2-3 dozen. The live wells are not that big. Any more, particularly in warmer weather, would be hard to keep alive.

"would it be worth getting live shrimp"
    Waste of money. The only fish you would need shrimp for is Hogfish. Only see 1 or 2 caught a year on the overnight trips. Pin fish & the provided cut baits are better for mangrove snapper. 
     "what fish can we expect to catch in october"
    With NOAA you never know. As of now as far as I know the only fish closed in October will be Red snapper & Triggerfish. The targeted fish will be Mangrove snapper at night, Gag, Red grouper, and Amberjack during the day. 
    " i"ve heard that on some headboats the crew keeps some of the fish, do they do that here":
    No way!  You keep anything you want that is legal. 
    "have any of u ever calculated how many lbs of fish can u take home."
    As many as you can legally catch.
      "See Harbison and John Martin posts on here.  Maybe IM them directly if they don't reply but they seem to always be on these trips."
    I am retired and have nothing else to do. I try to be on every weekend overnight trip. Love to take both still & video to share with fellow sportsmen. Be glad to help in any way I can.
      My E. Mail address...
      Phone #
    (813) 962-0786
    "Bring a variety of lead"
    Good idea!  Most common is 6 oz. Sometimes, particularly when fishing the Elbow, 8+ ounces may be required. Suggest bringing 4,6,8.
    4 oz. is great for Mangrove snapper when you can get away with it. Suggest bringing 4, 6 & 8. If you absolutely must use more than 8 oz., you can always double-up. 
    "Also leader material, maybe 30, 60 and 80lb flouro."
    Personal choice. I prefer 40 for snapper, 80-100 for grouper and Amberjack. I only use 'fluro' for Mangrove snapper. To me any other fish could care less. 
     "My pins died using the water being pumped in on the way out.  Of course that depends on the red tide situation."
    The live wells do a good job when not over-loaded & when NO red tide. With even a little red tide, all bait will be dead in no time. 
    ":If you bring pins I'd keep them in a 5 or 7.5 gallon bucket with a good aerator." 
    Good idea! Be sure to change the water regularly. 
    "Try the Gulf Star they include all the live bait"
    True! But you pay for it with the higher ticket price. The provided cut bait & squid work well. By not paying for pins in the ticket price, you have a choice. 
    "What is sector separation?"
    Briefly sector separation divides the recreational 'sector' into two different components, a federal for-hire component and a private angling component. The adaptation of sector separation by the Gulf Council, under over-whelming public outcry, is directly responsible for a longer red snapper season for the for-hire component, as opposed to a shorter private angling season.
    "they also support sector separation...so personally not a fan."
    It is my understanding that the Gulfstar does not support either Catch Shares or Sector Separation. Please correct me if I am wrong. 
    The Double Eagle Fleet are strong supporters Sector Separation. 
    Hubbard's Marina & Sector Separation:
    "Time to stand up for your rights. Hubbard’s Marina DOES NOT and has NEVER SUPPORTED SECTOR SEPARATION so before you think that we are happy with 3 day season for recreational anglers and our 49 day season for red snapper first realize that we have vehemently opposed this idea since it was first ever discussed and begged the recreational anglers to get involved in fighting against Sector separation (amendment 40) when that didn’t work we waiting till the sunset provision when it came up for a reinstatement and again we vehemently opposed it and urged recreational anglers to join us."

"I can leave my politics at the dock to catch more fish."
    FOR HOW LONG?  A NOAA dream come true!

• harbisonharbison Posts: 2,872 Captain
    edited September 18 #25
    " I've done several Hubbard's trips and seems like I always have bait stealers."
    Ever angler has his/her on personal live well. A personal lock can be used on every one. 
      "Gulfstar was way more enjoyable in my experience"
    A fine boat with a very good reputation. 
    "Gulfstar is a better boat with far more included amenities and a much smaller number of fishermen.  However, it is also much, much more expensive.  It's out of a lot of peoples' affordability."
    Great boat if you can afford it. 
     "not a bad idea  to have a  spinner  as sometimes you will get pelagics like mahi or cobia up on the surface circling boat."
    Good ideas!  Keep it handy; they will be gone quickly.
    "if you like to troll you could bring a rod for that and put out on way out or in between spots as long as open spot on stern even if not your assigned spot."
    There will be plenty of opportunities. Many get tired of trolling quickly. The Florida even has outriggers.

The most productive time is between stops. Often the Captain will announce put out the trollers. Most either eat or sleep. Wish more trolled. 

"As far as if you can only get the side of the boat can you catch  alot of fish still the answer is yes"
    Strongly agree!
    "With the pinfish  we usually bring 2 to 3 dozen per person.   We catch our pinfish on the way to boat in morning and have even seen people catching them there right around the docks."
    Many do this. Have also seen people catching them there. Good idea! 
      "I’ve seen a bunch of videos of Hubbard’s trips"
    Hope you like them. All the over-night videos are mine. 
    "all the stern spots are taken by regulars, (which is fine with me)"
    Hubbard's has a 'Regulars Club' offering members huge discounts. Members of this Club have first choice as to spots. Anyone can become a member. 
    "what I want to know is: do “newbies” get an opportunity to troll? We all pay the same rate so I feel we should all have a chance to catch a tuna,wahoo, or whatever else may bite in the 20+ hours of driving the boat to & from...."
    Absolutely! All will have plenty of opportunities. 
     "At some point, all of the clueless guys give up and go to bed and don't bother trying to troll again; that's when you want to get serious and set up for real."
    Strongly agree!
    "The newbies who are worth saving will come up to the experienced guys and politely ask what they are doing wrong and how they can fix it.  They are the ones worth saving.  They rest can be left to flounder."
    Great advice. Ask Ed! He fishes spot #1 on most Friday overnight trips. He is the best of the best as well as real sportsman. He is always more than willing to help.

In addition, the Florida has a fishing coach, Mr. John Martin. There is always someone willing to help those willing to listen. 
    "Drag your baits from 30 minutes before till 30 minutes after sunrise and sunset; those are the times you MUST be dragging your baits.  That's tuna time.  Wahoo eat during the corpuscular period as well."
    How true!

"I was giving you the information you were asking for and some good advice on trolling that boat so you wouldn't have to be one of "those guys". "
    Your advice is % correct. Thanks for sharing.
    "I will say though, the new mates on the Gulfstar can't hold a candle to Will on Hubbards."
    Will has been the first mate on the Florida for over a decade. He is very personable & works hard to please. 
    Hubbards trip CAN be cheaper..forego the meal plan but you'll still have food costs.
    Love having the choice. Meals are expensive, but ever so good.
    Price: 39 hr. $48.61,  44 hr. $62.50,  63 hr. $72.23
    Typical lunch:

Typical dinner:

In addition, the ice cold drinks & snacks are great & there is an endless supply.
    Cost of trips:
    39 hr. $369.00, 44 hr. $469.00, 63 hr. $840.00
    "Also, and I may get burned by this, but I've always thought a "fishing coach" should be coaching/helping folks catch fish while the boat was anchored and everyone was fishing"
    John is both a fishing coach & a fisherman. He supervises trolling while the mates are resting, and is always available for advice. 

"wouldn't be caught dead eating the food on the Hubbard's boat."
    Me either! 
    Those hot off the grill pan cakes have way too many fresh blueberries in them:

Never could stand center cut pork chops. They are way too big!

Who could possible feast on a cooked to order steak dinner with wild rice while 100 miles off shore?

I use all of my own equipment, clean my own fish, and wouldn't be caught dead eating the food on the Hubbard's boat.  Does the Gulfstar not charge tax, or did you leave that out?  Just want to know.
    Fee is $605/$655 all inclusive . Tax may or may not be included in that amount, I don't know. But I didn't intentionally leave it out.
    JohnAB said:
    Fee is $605/$655 all inclusive . Tax may or may not be included in that amount, I don't know. But I didn't intentionally leave it out.
    I think one more difference between the boats that might be helpful for folks to know is trip availability and spot availability.  I think Gulfstar only has one regularly scheduled "standard" middle grounds trip per month and carries only 19 anglers on those trips; fewer seats available per month and harder to find an open spot on a given trip.  They run so many specialty trips and private charters (though fewer charters this year that I've seen), that the basic trips aren't as prevalent as the overnights on the Hubbard's boat.

It's harder to grab a seat on the Gulfstar, but it's a better seat.  Fished with Captain Mitch a LOT when he had the Bluefin; one of the best headboat captains I've seen when it comes to putting a headboat on top of quality fish.
    harbison said:

"they also support sector separation...so personally not a fan."
    It is my understanding that the Gulfstar does not support either Catch Shares or Sector Separation. Please correct me if I am wrong. 
    The Double Eagle Fleet are strong supporters Sector Separation. 

"I can leave my politics at the dock to catch more fish."
    FOR HOW LONG?  A NOAA dream come true!

Not to be a d!ck but they also support sector separation...so personally not a fan.

My apologies to the Gulfstar for my incorrect statement and Harbison, thank you for the correction.  I agree totally with your stand on leaving politics at the dock.

Tight lines.
    JohnAB said:
    I think one more difference between the boats that might be helpful for folks to know is trip availability and spot availability.  I think Gulfstar only has one regularly scheduled "standard" middle grounds trip per month and carries only 19 anglers on those trips; fewer seats available per month and harder to find an open spot on a given trip.  They run so many specialty trips and private charters (though fewer charters this year that I've seen), that the basic trips aren't as prevalent as the overnights on the Hubbard's boat.

It's harder to grab a seat on the Gulfstar, but it's a better seat.  Fished with Captain Mitch a LOT when he had the Bluefin; one of the best headboat captains I've seen when it comes to putting a headboat on top of quality fish.
    They certainly don't run as many as Hubbards; but 19 vs 40+ fisherman!  On their red snapper trips I believe they take 23.  But, you can book Hubbards via phone without a deposit.  Too bad Capt Mitch isn't there any longer, he did put you on the fish.
  • BUCHEADBUCHEAD Posts: 111 Deckhand
    JohnAB said:

Hubbards: 39hr..$369+$45 for meal+ $25 rod rental+$27 3doz pinfish+$60 taxes and fees(fee for booking online)+$10 parking+Fish cleaning and tip (estimate) $75 = $611

Gulfstar:  44hr trip:  All of the above is $605 if you pay $200 deposit by cc and the rest in cash..or $655 if all by cc.  Plus ,in my experience, Hubbards takes longer to get to fishing grounds.  I will say though, the new mates on the Gulfstar can't hold a candle to Will on Hubbards.

Hubbards trip CAN be cheaper..forego the meal plan but you'll still have food costs..bring your own equipment but there still will be costs associated with that..clean the catch yourself and don't tip....and don't book online!

Also, and I may get burned by this, but I've always thought a "fishing coach" should be coaching/helping folks catch fish while the boat was anchored and everyone was fishing.
    Apples to Apples would be Hubbards 44hr trip.  $469 + Tax,  plus all of the other charges you mentioned.  My math says that Hubbards is more than $100 higher than the Gulfstar, for more riding and less fishing.  Just Say'n.
    I've Got 99 Problems, But A Fish Aint One...................................................................................................................Hit Me!
    BUCHEAD said:
    JohnAB said:

Apples to Apples would be Hubbards 44hr trip.  $469 + Tax,  plus all of the other charges you mentioned.  My math says that Hubbards is more than $100 higher than the Gulfstar, for more riding and less fishing.  Just Say'n.
    I see your point and you are correct but I was trying to compare "standard" middle grounds trips.  I  consider Hubbards 44hr trip a specialty trip.