Fish Bag and Bleeding a fish

Ok, I'll go ahead and tell you I'm cheap and look for the cheapest most efficient way of doing something, can't help it.  Looking at fish bags and it about sent me over the edge.  Saw a few DIY bags, but have a hard time spending over $30 on a bag to store fish.  

So my question to you is what do you use?  Was looking at getting two of the grocery store cooler bags and sewing them together with a velcro flap or there's a bag at ****'s for $10 25x18x7.

My second question is bleeding the fish before you put them in the bag.  Cutting the gill seems the quickest, but bleeding them out in the water concerns me in attracting sharks...your opinions/ideas please..

Thanks

Replies

• ljkljk Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    I use an old fashioned rope stringer.  Keep them alive and in the water until ready to go.  Most of the time they stay alive during my 5 minute drive home where I clean 'em.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,583 Captain
    edited September 13 #3
    ljk said:
    I use an old fashioned rope stringer.  Keep them alive and in the water until ready to go.  Most of the time they stay alive during my 5 minute drive home where I clean 'em.
    Stringers are great for fresh water, but that would definitely be a shark magnet offshore in Sth Florida, plus moving around with a stringer of fish would slow me down significantly.
    Depends what size fish you are targeting.  If it can fit in a cooler, buy a cheap styrofoam cooler.  I use a hobie fish bag only because I won it.  It is ok on a cool day, but on a hot day the frozen water bottles I use to keep it cool melt too fast, so I strapped a piece of insulation on top of it to block direct sun light.  Fish go bad fast in Sth Florida, when I lived in California, a burlap bag kept wet worked well all day.  If you don't want to spend the $80-200 for a fish bag made for kayak fishing, you can surely make something for less.  My first bag was a Katch Kooler $40.  It was better than nothing, deteriorated in the sun after about a year, and did not keep the fish as cool as the more expensive fish bags.

Regarding bleeding fish, usually clip a gill, cutting meat will stain it with blood -- undesirable for eating.  Once bled out get them out of the sun and ideally in a cold location.   Bleeding may attract sharks, but so does reeling fish in, it is just part of the experience of offshore kayak fishing.  Occasionally a shark will follow my fish up and take a bite before I get it in the kayak.  Once the fish is out of the water, the shark swims away.  I have probably seen 20 times as many sharks in this manner than I have from bleeding a fish.  
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 559 Officer
    Thanks John, guess it would have helped to clarify that I’d be inshore and just off the beach.  So reds, trout, snook, blues, Spanish, and the such.

I realize there’s not a lot of blood when you bleed them but was just curious.

I have a wilderness Ride 115 and 135, so I have room. One post I saw they put a bag right behind the seat, which I thought was interesting. 
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,717 Admiral
    This is the only one I have found which is worth anything. It holds ice great, therefore your fish don't get hot.

Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!
    II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Thanks John, guess it would have helped to clarify that I’d be inshore and just off the beach.  So reds, trout, snook, blues, Spanish, and the such.

I realize there’s not a lot of blood when you bleed them but was just curious.

I have a wilderness Ride 115 and 135, so I have room. One post I saw they put a bag right behind the seat, which I thought was interesting. 
    Like you said Trev, Reds, Trout and Snook don't produce too much blood when bleed, so minor chance of attracting  sharks.  Putting the fish bag on the back end of the kayak is best for long distances.  A kayak that is down by the head with a fishbag full of fish on the bow, will be harder to steer straight.  A kayak with a bag full of fish on the back end (trimmed by the stern) is more directionally stable.
    Spineyman said:
    This is the only one I have found which is worth anything. It holds ice great, therefore your fish don't get hot.

That is a good quality bag, so good, that Reliable makes the Hobie brand bags -- same bag that I have.
    Thanks for the link...I guess since I would only use it once or twice a year, I'm not ready to put that much money into it.

thanks for the input and info, never would have thought that a bow mounted fish bag would affect the steering of the yak.
    Spineyman said:

That is a good quality bag, so good, that Reliable makes the Hobie brand bags -- same bag that I have.

It is exceptional for sure. I have three buddies that use them. My daughter loves fish so she went out and bought me a cheapo from Amazon and it would not hold ice in 70 degree weather. So she sent it back unsatisfied and they gave her 40 of the 65 bucks she paid for it. So I now have a reliable, and it is great! It keeps fish cold all day.

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Thanks for the link...I guess since I would only use it once or twice a year, I'm not ready to put that much money into it.

thanks for the input and info, never would have thought that a bow mounted fish bag would affect the steering of the yak.
    Garbage bag full of ice with a piece of insulation on top of it to block the sun will probably suit you well for twice a year.   If you don't catch any fish, bag location won't matter, its when it is heavy with fish that it affects kayak trim and in turn ability to steer straight.
    Gotcha...if I catch that many it's time to go in and start cleaning!

All I am saying is the cheaper ones do not work. So if it only cost you 10 bucks, that is 10 bucks wasted. If you plan to keep fish, then you want to keep them cold. Trust me I didn't want to spend that either, but in order to keep fish right it is worth the extra money to do so.

Spineyman said:
    Spineyman said:

It is exceptional for sure. I have three buddies that use them. My daughter loves fish so she went out and bought me a cheapo from Amazon and it would not hold ice in 70 degree weather. So she sent it back unsatisfied and they gave her 40 of the 65 bucks she paid for it. So I now have a reliable, and it is great! It keeps fish cold all day.
    It is a heavy duty bag, But I have had fish get cooked in it on a long hot sunny day in SE Florida.  I normally put 10 frozen water bottles in my bag, maybe if I had doubled that, it would have been ok, but that is a lot of weight to be dragging around.  Instead, I slid a 3/4" piece of insulation foam under the top straps to block direct sun from heating the top of the bag.  An avid kayaking acquaintance has been doing some trial and errors experiments with various kayak bags -- taking the best features of all of them.   His bag is not available yet, but will probably be one of the best ones for offshore kayaking.  I am told that the top insulation is extra thick.  It has no zippers(which loose heat), but a fold like the ice mule bags.   

https://www.proyaker.com/product-page/proyaker-icy-catch-bag-double-eva-insulated-kayak-fish-bag-cooler-xl

I am looking forward to trying it out when it becomes available.
    Spineyman said:
    Spineyman said:

It is a heavy duty bag, But I have had fish get cooked in it on a long hot sunny day in SE Florida.  I normally put 10 frozen water bottles in my bag, maybe if I had doubled that, it would have been ok, but that is a lot of weight to be dragging around.  Instead, I slid a 3/4" piece of insulation foam under the top straps to block direct sun from heating the top of the bag.  An avid kayaking acquaintance has been doing some trial and errors experiments with various kayak bags -- taking the best features of all of them.   His bag is not available yet, but will probably be one of the best ones for offshore kayaking.  I am told that the top insulation is extra thick.  It has no zippers(which loose heat), but a fold like the ice mule bags.   

https://www.proyaker.com/product-page/proyaker-icy-catch-bag-double-eva-insulated-kayak-fish-bag-cooler-xl

I am looking forward to trying it out when it becomes available.
    The guys I know fill theirs with crushed ice and it lasts all day no problem in 95 degree heat, up here in the panhandle.

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,028 Officer
    The $8 frozen food suitcases from sams club and walmart are excel ant. Thats all you need.
    Yeah, saw one like that at ****’s, was concerned it was too short. Ordered 2 from amazon and gonna sew them together to get a 34” one in length. I’ll let you know how it goes