Reds in 10k

Comment was made Fla.cannot compare with La.
in number of reds that one can catch.Fri.we may
have made a good run at it with over 40 reds caught.
   Yes,they were all over the map in size,but that day
the clearer the water,the more reds were caught.
   But for the next couple of years we are going to
have alot of reds to catch in our area.

Replies

• Mr, GooganMr, Googan Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    10kman: "But for the next couple of years we are going to have alot of reds to catch in our area."

What's your reasoning here?  Do you think red tide to the north has pushed fish down in to the 10K area?
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 370 Deckhand
        Some years ago we had a severe cold spell and it killed
    thousands of snook.Lot of concern over that but the 
    redfish population exploded because snook are  the
    most aggressive fish in the backcountry.We may be in a narrow
    time frame in which we have large numbers of both.
      Regarding red tide have wondered the same thing.The 
    red tide occurs North of where we fish but are fish
    moving South to escape red tide or does it silently kill
    the fish because there are 1000's of dead fish.

• Mr, GooganMr, Googan Posts: 35 Greenhorn

I'm no scientist, but I can offer my observations from the beach.  Having spent time on the shore from Ft Myers down to Cape Romano this summer I’ve seen a lot of the same stuff.  Most of the dead creatures on the beach were bottom fish like catfish, batfish, and eels.  I’ve also seen a lot of smaller fish die like white bait and small trout.  I don’t think a batfish can travel very far and so when its habitat is overrun by red tide they die in large numbers.  However, the number of big fish I’ve seen dead has been very few.  Either the big fish are less affected by the red tide, or the big fish can easier leave an affected area, or it’s a combination of both. 

Either way, I am looking forward to big numbers this fall on snook and reds!  My entire fall season last year was pretty much erased by Irma.  

• polliwogpolliwog Posts: 226 Deckhand
    Something has changed because last winter there were scarce numbers of reds caught by the folks I spoke to,including my experience.;  Glad to hear some good news.  I'll be down in a month.  Look forward to some good fishing since striper season up here in NE was very slow.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 737 Officer
    We have caught very few reds this year and the ones we did catch were small.
    We fished sunday and caught snook after snook. Maybe its just the areas i have been fishing?
    Jason :USA
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 370 Deckhand
      Reds we are catching have been South of Goodland near the islands
    on edge of the Gulf.Look for cleaner moving water.
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 38 Greenhorn
    My last trip to the 10K we caught 7 reds between 2 kayaks, in spite of having a very narrow window of opportunity on the outside when on a kayak. All were near outside islands just out of Chokoloskee pass. They were all small, from 9-14 inches. I recently saw a school of about 6 upper slot to overslot reds tailing on an oyster bar near the outside of sandfly pass. I could see them as clear as day, could practically count the spots, but they would not eat anything including live and cut mullet. They seemed to be keyed in on tiny crabs on the oysters.

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 737 Officer
    10kman said:
      Reds we are catching have been South of Goodland near the islands
    on edge of the Gulf.Look for cleaner moving water.
    Thats what we are fishing. Its been a fight getting through the spanish mackerel to get the snook.
    I swear i retied sunday more then i ever have. Made a move later and only caught snook without all the mackerel cutting our lines!

Jason :USA
  • BobberBobber Posts: 880 Officer
    You remember how thick the reds were after the last big freeze killed off the snook?
    Now the snook are back in big numbers and the reds are sparse. 
    Guess who eats whose eggs.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,939 Captain
    I've heard from more than a few guys that are finding lots of really small reds - and that's what we've been seeing up and down the coast from Big Sable Creek all the way up to Highland Beach... We may not have lots of slot sized reds now - but in a year or so - look out...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666