Florence...

SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,211 AG
It might be time to panic for those in coastal NC.

http://www.spaghettimodels.com/

Warning Level 2

Replies

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,949 AG
    Mandatory evacs are occurring now. Outer Banks...
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,673 Captain
    This will be my first hurricane experience.  Albeit I am a few hours from the coast.  Still I've been told to be prepared.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,211 AG
    Prepare for days without power.  
    Warning Level 2
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,949 AG
    kellercl said:
    This will be my first hurricane experience.  Albeit I am a few hours from the coast.  Still I've been told to be prepared.
    No fun at all. Watch your forecast and have plans to leave if needed. Winds over 65 and torrential rain play havoc with trees.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 9,131 Admiral
    Get your generator ready.
  • Flats2blueFlats2blue Posts: 236 Deckhand
    On the coast, storm surge and wind.  The rest of the area will have to deal with flooding.  It is running right into a stalled front, which means it will stall and just pump that gulf stream water into the system and rain for days.   Wishing all the best.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 5,774 Admiral
    Market Summary > Home Depot Inc
    Follow
    NYSE: HD
    211.33 USD +5.10 (2.47%)
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 10,929 AG
    Lock up, and take a short vacation. It's not surviving the storm, but knowing beforehand just how miserable it is after a storm without power.

It will get real old after a couple of days

• dave44dave44 Posts: 7,193 Admiral
    Cleaning up, tying down and heading for higher ground tomorrow. I hate these things.

If you need the help of a contractor afterwards don’t try to offer him more money. Our state calls that gouging and doesnt like it.
       It used be amazing how much was able to get done and how fast. Now you should be prepared to wait 6 months to a year so they can fit you into the eight hour day.
    Good luck, Dave.

Got an extra bedroom, bathroom and sunroom with pull out couch if needed in Tallahassee...
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,483 Captain
    Surfs up!
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    Currently I am disagreeing with the wife, I want her to leave and take the kids.  I don't see why she should stay around.  I'm stuck because of work.  The kids missing school isn't a big deal.  We have family a few hours away, she should go stay with them.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,383 AG
    Be safe, Keller.
    Thanks, I am curious to see how this goes.  Curious or nervous, I'm not sure yet.  I'd feel much better if I knew the kids were out of the way.
    Lots of rain can cause killer flooding, stay away from the mountains too,
    Tight Lines, Steve
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 7,193 Admiral
    Resinhead said:
    Good luck, Dave.

Got an extra bedroom, bathroom and sunroom with pull out couch if needed in Tallahassee...
    Thanks! 
      I have a place near Richmond with a whole house generator and a 500 gal propane tank that runs it. After the last hurricane in 03? We lost a bunch of trees so nothing to hit the house. 
       I hope I built it strong enough!
      I am a bit concerned about my newest project though, about 10 miles from N.C. on the ocean. It’s not really closed in enough for a battering, but I have been on it hard for about a week.    
       Packing up and taking my boat with me.

Call your agent and make sure your policies are all up.

Agents love that, right Jr?

My offer stands for anyone of you guys displaced by the storm.
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,221 Admiral
    Good luck to you guys up North, positive thoughts sent your way.  This thing is going to hit within a day or so of Irma last year.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,976 Captain
    edited September 10 #20
    I bought a house in Ormand 300ft from the beach. As I have said before I didn't buy homeowners insurance. Figured I would stick it to the man. Now in the 100 year history of zero damage I have been hit twice, costing me 25k in repairs and more storms on the way. What are the odds? I'm sure another one of these storms will make it to my house. 
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 6,671 Admiral
    I don't envy you guys up there at all.  Good luck and God speed.

Captain Todd Approves

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,906 Captain
    We all know how you guys feel. It sucks........the waiting is sometimes the hardest part.
    I was just talking to a friend today....I told him it's nice not to be in the track of a hurricane.....all the while knowing this is just the beginning.
    The next one might wind up in my kitchen.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,541 Captain
    I happen to be in Durham at the moment.  I just went to get gas, and stations are out of fuel and long lines at the one I went too. 
    Then, the woman in front of me decided she needed lotto tickets and left her car blocking the path, while she looked at the line of cars waiting...
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 24,370 AG
    I remember last year, We had several fights break out over people trying to get gas. People go crazy. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• frankfrank Posts: 12,916 AG
    let's all hope for the least damage possible, dave and kel, i hope your homes come through ok and your families are safe
    No political signature
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,799 Captain
    Stay safe all of you in harms way. In the last fifteen years I have lost power from hurricanes 3 times, the longest being 10 days. I think Wilma was the only one that was late in the season and a cold front came through afterwards giving relief from the heat. It is no fun. 
    Best of luck and don't take unnecessary chances.Material things can be replaced.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 1,996 Captain
    Tarpon65 said:
    Good luck to you guys up North, positive thoughts sent your way.  This thing is going to hit within a day or so of Irma last year.
    Irma hit florida a year ago today. 

I’m headed to Wanchese tomorrow to start taking boats north.
  • ScminnowScminnow Posts: 3,774 Captain
    5 days before landfall that’s when I leave. I’m on Sanibel left way early for Irma. 2 days later mandatory evac. Evacs are toooo stressful 1-3 days out all of a sudden everybody realizes they have to do the same thing. If u can do it just get out early and have a vaca 
    also pay a visit to these sites during seaso
    http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=59

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=31
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,976 Captain
    I wouldn't worry so much if I had a old school home built in the 50's like the neighborhood. . Mine is two story with the top floor frame built in 1980 with out any hurricane standards. I'm sure over 100 mph the second floor is gone....... 
  • frankfrank Posts: 12,916 AG
    what happens to the horses on the outer banks? how did they survive hugo?
    No political signature
    AC Man said:
    I bought a house in Ormand 300ft from the beach. As I have said before I didn't buy homeowners insurance. Figured I would stick it to the man. Now in the 100 year history of zero damage I have been hit twice, costing me 25k in repairs and more storms on the way. What are the odds? I'm sure another one of these storms will make it to my house. 
    Sounds like my luck. This is going to be a bad one, I can feel it.
    Tight Lines, Steve